Taking off with bombs

Hayduke

I am having trouble taking off with a 500kg bomb loaded on the Anton. She takes off fine clean. I even tried reducing the fuel to 30%, but not dice. She lifts off briefly when she is just about to run out of runway around 200kpm, then loses lift and collides with the ground. I have been following Chuck's takeoff procedure to the letter. Any thoughts?

You need to fire wall the throttle for heavy loadout take off, use take off flaps, then after you lift off you need to level out to gain speed, when plane is near the ground, ground effect is providing additional lift, in case when plane is very heavy you need to gain a bit more speed to continue the climb.

I took 500kg bomb + rockets and put this plane on the shortest airfield as i could find on normandy map. Yes it was close , normally you would not want to take off this plane from very short runways. W/o rockets it would lift off sooner for sure.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I often fly with the 500kg bomb…

The Anton will try to lift off earlier than us safe, and then drop the left wing into the ground - not sure if “correct”, but I try to use very slight forward stick pressure to keep her on the runway and building up speed before lifting clear

ETA - I’d want the speed a lot higher than 200… 280 perhaps?

Edited by rkk01

16 minutes ago, grafspee said:

280kph lift off speed ?? Not good for me, blown tire guarantied.

It’s true to say that at that point I’m more focused on rudder and aileron inputs than looking at the ASI…!

I’d certainly be looking to get 280 before starting to climb away, and even then only a very gentle climb

15 minutes ago, Mogster said:

500kgs is 1000lbs near enough. That’s a big carry for a WW2 fighter.

Makes up for my imperfect aiming…!

If you watch my take off, i got airborne just before 200kph. 250kph is ok for climb. Remember that main thing after take off is to gain safe alt as fast as possible. My mistake was to rise flaps too early, i should continue climb to at least 200

300 m

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks everyone. I was definitely having the problem of early lift due to ground effect, then a left roll and wing collision with the ground.

Grafspee's video helped a lot. Centering the stick sooner than normal helped me gain speed more quickly once I could tame the tailwheel with rudder inputs. On the Channel map, I was able to successfully take off from Merville Calonne and Abbeville. Dunkirk and Saint Omer were too short for taking off that heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Left wing falling means stall, definitely you're lifting her too soon.

BTW, IIRC some configurations of the F8/G8 could carry a 1000Kg bomb (lower fin in the bomb removed). Probably not a very nice setting to fly with, but it was done.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice