Portable Controls for DCS 2.7 - Xbox Elite Controller 2 ?? Will it work

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if a portable joystick like Xbox Elite Controller 2 work well with DCS.  It looks like it has paddles etc (at the back).  I know there is a youtube video using a normal Xbox 360 controller but this one is different....

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox

Even if it supported which airplanes will it work best on --- will it work well with P51 or F86 or even F16 or M2000C etc  Any thoughts.

I am going on a trip, and I was planning to run DCS on my laptop (it has a Nvidia Card in it)

Thanks,

Edited by spacefox

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

4 hours ago, spacefox said:

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if a portable joystick like Xbox Elite Controller 2 work well with DCS.  It looks like it has paddles etc (at the back).  I know there is a youtube video using a normal Xbox 360 controller but this one is different....

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox

Even if it supported which airplanes will it work best on --- will it work well with P51 or F86 or even F16 or M2000C etc  Any thoughts.

I am going on a trip, and I was planning to run DCS on my laptop (it has a Nvidia Card in it)

Thanks,

Yeah it will certainly work. I used to fly the F-15 with a Xbox controller before I bought my T16000m. You just have to figure out a control binding that works for you. 

I am not sure on if it will work well on high fidelity modern jets like the F-16 and M2000C tho. Since there are a lot of HOTAS controls you have to bind, I think you will have to use your keyboard as well. But you can certainly fly with a Xbox controller. 

Can you bind an Xbox controller in DCS, though? I think they use their own system and not a standard HID interface like every every other controller. If you can get it to bind, then sure, though there'll be a lot of keyboard usage, and throttle might be a problem.

I flew FC3 planes with an Xbox One controller for just about a month. I watched this video and then edited the buttons to fit my needs. He gives you a very good starting point. 

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Can you bind an Xbox controller in DCS, though? I think they use their own system and not a standard HID interface like every every other controller. If you can get it to bind, then sure, though there'll be a lot of keyboard usage, and throttle might be a problem.

It is possible. and the throttle isnt put on an Axis but just the Left and right bumpers. Definitely not accurate increases/decreases but it served its purpose. And yes, DCS sees the Xbox Controller for what it is. I attached my SU25T bindings to this as well

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.09 - 09.24.59.77.png

Controller (Xbox One For Windows) {B8EC4DE0-3C29-11e8-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

Winwing Orion2 base with f-16EX grip, Winwing Orion2 Throttle with F-18 Grip

Currently member of VAF 136 (F/A-18C Squadron).

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

2 hours ago, InzaneSK said:

I flew FC3 planes with an Xbox One controller for just about a month. I watched this video and then edited the buttons to fit my needs. He gives you a very good starting point. 

It is possible. and the throttle isnt put on an Axis but just the Left and right bumpers. Definitely not accurate increases/decreases but it served its purpose. And yes, DCS sees the Xbox Controller for what it is. I attached my SU25T bindings to this as well

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.09 - 09.24.59.77.png

Controller (Xbox One For Windows) {B8EC4DE0-3C29-11e8-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua 11 kB · 0 downloads

This is Excellent.

I am hoping from what I can tell that this Controller has some cool things vs standard Xbox Wireless Controller.  I will install DCS on the laptop and see what happens.  

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

Worst thing about the Elite controller is that it doesn't have a gyro sensor. MS had that back in 1998 with the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro. Flying things with that worked very well and actually was quite fun. But I mainly used it for space sims like Freespace or XWA.

But having a controller for DCS is better than nothing. And when you'd get a stick or HOTAS later, you still have something that you can map things to. Slewing TDCs with the analogue sticks isn't too bad actually, just not a true HOTAS setup.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

without trackir i would give the ps4 controller a try mainly for the gyro. i'm sure there is a way to map the camera movement to it

Edited by despinoza

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

• 1 month later...

I use an Xbox controller with my laptop when away from home.  I think it actually works brilliantly, especially with VR where many controls can be manipulated by looking at them and clicking.  With the use of modifiers most functions can be accommodated and the only thing I feel I lose vs a proper HOTAS is the fine movements (throttle mainly) necessary for AAR.  I find the controller also works really well for helicopters.

Here is my map FWIW:

Screenshot 2021-07-30 080958.png

The blue are controls which I try to keep common with all aircraft, the white are aircraft specific.  i.e. which ever aircraft I am flying I know that X is going to launch countermeasures and B is wheel brakes, which makes it easier to remember.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 9 months later...