JSOW variants

Foka

I found something like that

Brak dostępnego opisu zdjęcia.

According to this picture JSOW C should have IIR camera and a datalink (probably similiar to our SLAM-ER).

Also will we get a JSOW B with BLU-108/B like in CBU-97 or CBU-105 in A-10C or F-16? That would be awesome.

JSOW B never went to production, it effectively never existed.

JSOW C's IIR seeker is effectively useless in DCS, firstly because we have no way to program is without a mission planner and secondly because DCS is perfect, the weapon will never miss unless there is one of those odd bugs again.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

JSOW-B never made it out of testing. A few hundred were made but from what I've been able to find there were significant technical problems that they were not able to correct. Since the BLU-108/B is a known entity and the other JSOW variants have been successful, my assumption is that there were problems with the dispersal out of the JSOW that could not be corrected. It went over budget and deadline and got canned. 

I'm not sure if the final production version of the JSOW-C actually ended up with a data-link and min-in-the-middle targeting. The IIR sensor in the nose is configured to use ATA, like the SLAM-ER, and autonomously guide in on a pre-defined target built from reconnaissance images (you can read a more in-depth description here: https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/docs/man-sm-agm154-010213.htm). If it were actually implemented correctly in DCS it may feel like a downgrade to many people, as pre-planned strikes would be just as accurate as they are now, while TOO strikes or PP strikes without sufficient recon imagery would become less accurate than they are now. 

• Like 1