Kneeboard and briefing frequencies are not usable

Hey, first thanks to SorelRo for creating some content for the F-5! It's one of my favorite modules and I was really missing a campaign for it.

I am a bit baffled about the frequencies given though:

- The ATC freq is outside the range usable by the F-5 radio, so you have to look at the map to get the one you can actually tune to.

- The RSBN freq is AFAIK useless for the F-5, isn't it?

So I wonder how much was this tested, how come it didn't come up? Or am I missing something and those frequencies are usable somehow?

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

When I made this campaign, I tried to avoid radio gymnastics, since the F-5 doesn't have a radio as capable as F-18 or F-16, pretty much all the campaign can be done without having to change the radio, except for talking to the ATC on the occasion you change the airports and you need to talk to the ATC. In 1.3 where I introduced TACAN I should have changed the kneeboards to represent that, unfortunately I have run out of time adjusting the weather and the clouds, so the kneeboards will get fixed at a next update. I don't think it takes away a whole lot from the playability of the campaign , but I know they will need to be adjusted. 

Cheers, 

Sorel 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SorelRo said:

When I made this campaign, I tried to avoid radio gymnastics, since the F-5 doesn't have a radio as capable as F-18 or F-16, pretty much all the campaign can be done without having to change the radio, except for talking to the ATC on the occasion you change the airports and you need to talk to the ATC. In 1.3 where I introduced TACAN I should have changed the kneeboards to represent that, unfortunately I have run out of time adjusting the weather and the clouds, so the kneeboards will get fixed at a next update. I don't think it takes away a whole lot from the playability of the campaign , but I know they will need to be adjusted. 

Cheers, 

Sorel 

Thanks for replying!

Glad to know they will be fixed. I agree it's not a huge issue, more like a kind of small immersion breaker.

I didn't realise we can use TACAN! So is it channel 28 for Krymsk?

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

8 hours ago, cuervo111 said:

Thanks for replying!

Glad to know they will be fixed. I agree it's not a huge issue, more like a kind of small immersion breaker.

I didn't realise we can use TACAN! So is it channel 28 for Krymsk?

It gets introduced during the campaign as a mobile TACAN as supplies make it to Krymsk, when the weather turns for the worst. I'm not going to spoil it and tell you at what mission, but it is marked in the briefings. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On that note, there is a slight possibility for improvement. I don't know the mission #, it is quite late in the campaign: night CAP on Alert5, taking off in Krymsk for an Su-24 attack and landing in Krasnodar. First: that mission is now very difficult due to the lighting system upgrade in 2.7, you can barely fly below the clouds (some bombers arrive very low). Without labels it would be totally unfeasible, I could barely spot the enemy planes. Considering the huge flash from the guns when firing and the lack of distance perception at night, it is quite tricky...

Once returning to Krasnodar (TACAN + RWY heading on kneeboard chart did the trick to find the RWY threshold) I couldn't find the ATC frequency for Krasnodar. So the runway remained unlit, and I only found it in the dim landing light of the F-5 by luck (seriously, not your fault, but this landing light is crap!). For this specific mission, it would be good to have Krasnodar on the same frequency as all the rest (like Krymsk in all other missions). Or at least on a preset so it can be selected quickly. I tried presets 1 & 2, no joy. This way one could contact it and get the runway lights turned ON. 😀

Don't get me wrong, this mission was epic, I was very pleased to get 100 after the second try (apparently the first time it was not happy that I landed a burning jet in Krymsk 😂). Just thought I would offer some improvement ideas.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

On 6/28/2021 at 5:01 AM, Qiou87 said:

On that note, there is a slight possibility for improvement. I don't know the mission #, it is quite late in the campaign: night CAP on Alert5, taking off in Krymsk for an Su-24 attack and landing in Krasnodar. First: that mission is now very difficult due to the lighting system upgrade in 2.7, you can barely fly below the clouds (some bombers arrive very low). Without labels it would be totally unfeasible, I could barely spot the enemy planes. Considering the huge flash from the guns when firing and the lack of distance perception at night, it is quite tricky...

Once returning to Krasnodar (TACAN + RWY heading on kneeboard chart did the trick to find the RWY threshold) I couldn't find the ATC frequency for Krasnodar. So the runway remained unlit, and I only found it in the dim landing light of the F-5 by luck (seriously, not your fault, but this landing light is crap!). For this specific mission, it would be good to have Krasnodar on the same frequency as all the rest (like Krymsk in all other missions). Or at least on a preset so it can be selected quickly. I tried presets 1 & 2, no joy. This way one could contact it and get the runway lights turned ON. 😀

Don't get me wrong, this mission was epic, I was very pleased to get 100 after the second try (apparently the first time it was not happy that I landed a burning jet in Krymsk 😂). Just thought I would offer some improvement ideas.

I'll add the freq in the briefing and add the base feq as a preset. That night mission works up a bit of an adrenaline kick.