What VR you can recommend?

P51Chris

Hello!

In the past I flew DCS with a Oculus Rift CV1. Last week I bouht a new PC (see specs below). My question is if i can buy a VR with more resolution than the Oculus Rift? What brand can you recommend??

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Specs: ASUS TUF Gaming X-570 Plus; 32 GB DDR4 RAM; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor (16 Threads) 3.80 GHz; ZOTAC Geforce RTX 3080; Oculus Rift CV1, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals

i think you will find as many suggestions as you have headsets available... a lot depend on your budget? 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Specs didn't post...

but yes, a lot of options. A couple questions:

Will you be only flying / seated VR, or do you intend to do any roomscale? (this can eliminate or add some options)

What is your price point for entry? Options range from Oculus Quest at $300, all the way up to around 2K for a high end Pimax setup...

Reverb G2 is an excellent headset for flight sims.

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@A2597, @speed-of-heatMy Specs are not visible? Should be in the signatur area below.

I want to use the VR only for flight sim (seated VR), no other stuff. Important is the field of view. The Oculus Rift is like a diver goggle. It's very hard to check the six o´clock position because of the narrow field of view. And of course the resolution should be better than in the Rift.

Maybe 2K would be ok if the VR experience is much better. Hopefully you can see my specs and maybe give me suggestions if my PC can handle the higher resolution (with less reduction of in-game graphic settings) and the bigger field of view.

@dburneThanks. I will check the Reverb G2.

Specs: ASUS TUF Gaming X-570 Plus; 32 GB DDR4 RAM; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor (16 Threads) 3.80 GHz; ZOTAC Geforce RTX 3080; Oculus Rift CV1, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals

no your specs are visible, but your budget is key... for seated games i really have no qualms over recommending the G2 its a good price and an excellent headset. the only thing that gives me slight pause is your ryzen motherboard, as i know a number of people who have had difficulty with the AMD chipset  and G2's.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

if you can afford it I lean toward the index, its a quality HMD, valve has industry leading customer service (gone through them for several RMA's over the years and it's always a very smooth process), and being a first party developed piece of steamvr hardware it has the least number of added software layers between it and your pc and you gain access to some native steamvr settings other headsets can't access that I've found useful with DCS. 

As for the headset itself its not quite as high resolution as the G2 but has a wider FOV, so pick your poison there (for my money the rez is high enough that my system cant really outrender it anyway), and assuming you want to play any non-DCS vr games the index blows every other PCVR system out of the water with its tracking fidelity and controllers. 

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

HP Reverb G2, it takes a little to get the settings right, but if you like to tinker, it's the best bang for the buck at this point. 

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

Chris,

As Speed noted above ... If you have a price point you are willing to go to or are limited to that will be really helpful for people to focus their time recommending something might actually purchase ... it IS true that there are as many opinions as there are headsets.

You also can get a pretty quick canvas of the ton of stuff out there and quickly see some of the specs by looking at vr-compare website ... and then ask people who fly DCS World with VR HMDs about stuff you might see there.

I've flown DCS in Vive, Vive Pro, and currently use a PIMAX 8KX.  I've liked them all progressively ... but a lot has changed and there's been a lot for me to figure out on the way to make them the most useful, comfortable, and dialed in for long DCS flights.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

Ah, apparently I had signatures turned off! Didn't even know that was an option.

With your system, you can drive anything. I lean towards the Reverb G2, as it has the best clarity of any headset on the market, with a thinner padding to expand the FOV to around 100*.

I'm getting a Vive Pro 2, which should arrive tomorrow, but that headset is too new to give it a thumbs up or down. It's getting some mixed reviews thus far, but I'm also coming from a CV1 so I can give that opinion once I test it. (But that's close to $1400 to dive in to coming from a CV1, as you need lighthouses and possibly a controller to configure it)

You can also compare a lot of headset specs here:

https://risa2000.github.io/hmdgdb/

@speed-of-heat, @Crash Master , @unltdI will check if there are still problems with AMD chip sets. Thanks for your comments.

@DavePastry The Valve index seems to be a good solution. But the FOV is not so much higher than the Rift. Thanks for your comments.

@AldoUSMC You`r right I shoul look in vr-compare sites. It´s al long process to find the "best one". What can you say about the Pimax 8K? It has the biggest FOV. Would be very nice. Thanks for your comments.

@A2597As I said i must look for problems with the Reverb and my AMD chipset. Thanks for your comments and your compare site.

Have a good evening

Chris

Yeah you can run anything.  If you've only every played on a CV1 then you would be blown away by anything newer (Index, Reverb, VP2).  I'd consider one of those.  I've used all three and would probably put the Index on top overall but you can't beat the value of a Reverb G2.  The Vive Pro 2 I'm using now is great at times but its expensive and the lenses are sometimes wonky compared to the other two (glare, blur). 

I've also played DCS with the Quest 2.  It's a great piece of kit but I didn't like it for DCS.  Small FOV and low resolution.  

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

I'm running a Reverb G2, it takes a bit of setting up and has layers of software stacked on top of each other, but it does work well once all that is taken care of. It also requires some tinkering as no PC can possibly come close to running it at native resolution (double physical resolution for some reason). Clarity is superb and while it doesn't have the best controllers, for me they are better than my Rift S or Rift CV1. I have ordinary sized man hands I think and the newer Facebook controllers are just a bit too small for me. Tracking quality is fine and the control layout is virtually identical to Facebook controllers. I have noticed some games require some custom control setups though as they get marked as WMR controllers and expect a non-existent track pad. Comfort of the G2 is excellent. Out of the Rift CV1, Rift S, Quest 1, Samsung Odyssey (original) and Reverb G2, the Reverb G2 is by far the most comfortable, though the Quest is pretty nice too.

For seated games, I think the Reverb G2 is the clear winner right now even ignoring price. For room scale stuff using the controllers, it's still good but does require tinkering with control mappings in some games. It's also worth noting that the Reverb G2 and Index use the exact same off ear headphones, so audio quality should be identical. Audio is usable but does fall short of a decent set of headphones ($100 USD). The headset is not easily removed and so this is a case of you get what you get. They are good enough not to bother me though. The Rift S and Quests use the most awful speakers known to man and so are virtually unusable without slapping headphones over them. On the bright side that's an easy thing to do.

• Thanks 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, P51Chris said:

Hello!

In the past I flew DCS with a Oculus Rift CV1. Last week I bouht a new PC (see specs below). My question is if i can buy a VR with more resolution than the Oculus Rift? What brand can you recommend??

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Me too!

I have no VR experience but I built 2 new rigs. An i7-10,700 M2 1TB with AMD 5700XT and a Ryzen 9 M2 1 TB AMD 5700XT.  I am looking at a HTC Vive Pro Eye Office Full System . Say whoa or GO.... please.

sp correct

Edited by StElmosFire
  • Thanks 1

Whoa-contingent on the answers to two questions .

1 hour ago, StElmosFire said:

Me too!

I have no VR experience but I built 2 new rigs. An i7-10,700 M2 1TB with AMD 5700XT and a Ryzen 9 M2 1 TB AMD 5700XT.  I am looking at a HTC Vive Pro Eye Office Full System . Say whoa or GO.... please.

sp correct

(1) Are you flying seated sims only , or are you interested in room-scale VR ? If sim-only , you do not need the expensive tracking required for the Vive , nor the all-but-universally-panned controllers that accompany it .

(2) Your headset description did not mention the "Pro 2" . If indeed you are looking at the original , there are better (and less expensive) solutions out there , notably the Valve Index or Vive Pro 2 for roomscale , and the Reverb for sim-only use .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

OK, I have decided to buy the Vive Pro 2 and the Valve index knuckle controllers. Will that work and what part will my Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttles play? obviously I have zero VR experience. Try to keep me ontrack, please.

Next would I add the sensors and make a room? What would that add to my VR experience as I will be seated most of the time due to health issues.

Edited by StElmosFire
Added paragraph

normally in VR , i sont use my controllers at all for DCS they get in the way .

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for your comments regarding my questions. I think I will buy the Valve index because of the bigger FOV. It is very important in dogfighting.

BUT: I have installed the NON STEAM version of DCS 2.7 open beta. Because of the steam VR powered Valve index i ask if the Valve is running with this game version?

-Are the cameras in the front of the Valve index usable for looking to the real world (keyboard...)? I hate it to look alongside my nose out of the HMD to find any keys on the keyboard.

-Unfortuantely I wear goggles. It is possible to wear this under the HMD? Or it is better to use contact lenses?

-Did anyone use the VRfree gloves in the NON STEAM version od DCS 2.7 open beta? Usage of the contollers is not the best solution, mouse also not.

no steam is just used for the vr... you can use the normal version of the game with stream vr...  many people do

i would get some custom lenses (indeed thats what i did)

Is there a noticeable smaller FOV with the custom lenses?

nope

but it depends onw where you get them from i guess vroptcians are awesome