What VR you can recommend?

P51Chris

Ok, thanks a lot!!! 🙂

Specs: ASUS TUF Gaming X-570 Plus; 32 GB DDR4 RAM; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor (16 Threads) 3.80 GHz; ZOTAC Geforce RTX 3080; Oculus Rift CV1, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals

Just stay away from the Reverb G2. To many problems with the software. WMR/Steam is garbage and the errors trying to power up the G2 are a joke. I need to unplug/plug in my headset at least 4 times every time I try to turn it on. 

Now I can't get DCS to play in the VR headset. Sound comes through but game is full screen on my monitor. 

Find anything else . . .

ASUS Strix Z370-E, i7 8700k @ 5 GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 MHz, Corsair H100i, WD 1TB SSD

If you want the best possible clarity, I believe the G2 is the HMD to buy. However, it requires a monster PC to get relatively average performance - even my behemoth ain't good enough for my needs.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, StElmosFire said:

OK, I have decided to buy the Vive Pro 2 and the Valve index knuckle controllers. Will that work and what part will my Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttles play?

@StElmosFire For your Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS... in VR ... for fully Clickable DCS Cockpit Aircraft and Helos... you can program the triggers, buttons, hats, and toggles to more closely do/mirror what they actually do in the Aircraft... you can figure out which hats or switches you want to program to be your right mouse click, left mouse click, and mouse wheel scroll up and mouse wheel scroll down.  Doing that.. you can now look around the cockpit and operate the cockpit controls like you probably have before using your mouse... very little reason to reach for your mouse or trackball now when in VR.

Realistically mapping the HOTAS functions in clickable cockpits helps you (in my opinion) better learn that particular aircraft or helo .. and lets you NOT have to memorize what key or button does what.... as your focus is now where that function actually is in the cockpit.. and not artificially on a joystick controller.

Sometimes you might have reach for your mouse or trackball if a switch, button, or knob is in a really tough place to look with your head to get the cursor over it to operate it.. for example.. down by your left or right hip or behind in those areas.

Pro tip:  If you velcro a trackball with a mouse scroll function on a kneeboard on your right or left thigh you now don't have to grope around figuring out where your mouse/trackball is at.... it's always right there ... 

If you're OK with more automation... you can also start using Voice Attack and just transfer/program some of the more difficult actions to voice commands.  Voice Commands can help also in Flaming Cliffs Three Aircraft where cockpit functions are not clickable.

Using small steps you will figure out what works best for you.. each user develops their own "best" solutions that work for them and their particular setups.

Many people have many "best" practices.. the above are some I've learned that work for me in different aircraft and helos over the years ... using multiple screens, then using TrackIR, and now using VR.  I'm sure others have techniques that work better for them and their setups.

Just remember to take it slow and have fun doing it... or it's not worth doing if there's no enjoyment .. 

• Thanks 1

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit