Crashed 4-5 tonight in F14 with buddy. Always a few minutes after supercarrier launch on TTI Syria server. First time posting error logs.

SAABoy

I've been playing f18 module last few weeks with almost no issues and now F14 module crashes constantly. Everytime the game crashes it screws my entire system to where I can't even restart without hard shutdown. None of these would effect F18 module but I tried turning off OBS, then turning off XMP (ram overclock), then I turned off PBO (CPU overclock), then I ran out of things to change and still crashed. Please help!

Update: this is going to sound silly and amateur-ish, but a recent string of very frustrating PC instabilities, including these F-14 crashes though none during my F18 play, seems to have been solved by completely uninstalling Corsair iCUE. My Windows10 system has been living harmoniously with iCUE for a while now so maybe it's a recent version of iCUE or Windows10 that aren't doing well together. And maybe I could've gotten away with just turning off sensor logging or some other minor adjustments to iCUE but for now I'll just keep it uninstalled. Thanks for the help.

dcs.log dcs.log-20210610-051418.zip

Edited by SAABoy

Looking at the log you are getting a DX_DEVICE_REMOVED error. I have to get to work now, but will have a look at this later if @Flappie or someone else hasn't helped in the meantime

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Same here, I've got to go to work. 😐

@SAABoyIf this only happens to you with the F-14 module, uninstall it then reinstall it to see if it's any better.

However, if you're not sure the issue comes form the Tomcat (the log doesn't say so), try uninstalling your GPU driver using DDU, then reinstall your driver.

Edited by Flappie
GPU driver, not just GPU! ^^
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

How could that be a GPU Driver issue when its just crashing/freezing in the Tomcat? Just a friendly question. 

Thanks

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I quote myself, whith bold characters:

If this only happens to you with the F-14 module, uninstall it then reinstall it to see if it's any better.

However, if you're not sure the issue comes form the Tomcat (the log doesn't say so), try uninstalling your GPU driver using DDU, then reinstall your driver.

Edited by Flappie
GPU driver
  • Like 4

Gotcha , so I guess I’ll try to uninstall and reinstall the Tomcat never did this before so I’ll do some research on how to.. thx.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

10 hours ago, hornblower793 said:

Looking at the log you are getting a DX_DEVICE_REMOVED error. I have to get to work now, but will have a look at this later if @Flappie or someone else hasn't helped in the meantime

Well I didn't remove my GPU so does this mean my GPU crashed? NVIDIA drivers crashed? CPU issue?

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I quote myself, whith bold characters:

How should I do this without losing all my F14 settings/bindings?

22 minutes ago, SAABoy said:

Well I didn't remove my GPU so does this mean my GPU crashed? NVIDIA drivers crashed? CPU issue?

How should I do this without losing all my F14 settings/bindings?

dx_device = DirectX device, ie, controller, gamepad, joystick, etc. Maybe not enough power for all the USB devices, or maybe Windows decided to temporarily turn it off to save power (have you disabled selective suspend for USB in windows power settings? have you disabled the "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" option for your usb devices and usb controllers in device manager? that kind of stuff can cause disco/reco for usb devices. i've had it happen a lot before i did those options and some other things)

to save your bindings... go into controls and save your bindings as a profile in-game (it's in the caret dropdown under the device name at the top, save/load profiles). it's good practice to do anyway to have backups. they'll get saved to your <saved games>\DCS\InputUserProfiles directory by default. I usually zip that directory up and move it to a folder I keep those backups in for each plane.

Edited by Munkwolf

Having had time to look at the log in more detail (i.e. reading a few lines further up the log 😗), the first error is actually a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED.

This indicates that the issue is definitely related to communication with your graphics card - do you run with an overclock on your GPU (and what make / model is it)?

As @Flappie suggested earlier, trying to repair / clean install the graphics drivers might help.

Also, have you tried running a simple mission with just a single F-14 in it to see if that works OK? - the log seems to show quite a few AI planes in the mission and it might be worth building up complexity to see if there is a point at which it breaks. We know there is something DCS / F-14 related but it normally shows as a hung system rather than a full crash

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

On 6/10/2021 at 10:39 AM, Munkwolf said:

dx_device = DirectX device, ie, controller, gamepad, joystick, etc. Maybe not enough power for all the USB devices, or maybe Windows decided to temporarily turn it off to save power (have you disabled selective suspend for USB in windows power settings? have you disabled the "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" option for your usb devices and usb controllers in device manager? that kind of stuff can cause disco/reco for usb devices. i've had it happen a lot before i did those options and some other things)

to save your bindings... go into controls and save your bindings as a profile in-game (it's in the caret dropdown under the device name at the top, save/load profiles). it's good practice to do anyway to have backups. they'll get saved to your <saved games>\DCS\InputUserProfiles directory by default. I usually zip that directory up and move it to a folder I keep those backups in for each plane.

disabled selective suspend for USB in windows power settings? : done
disabled the "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" option for your usb devices and usb controllers in device manager? : done except I didn't see my 3 hotas devices under the USB section when I'd dis/reconnect so I just disabled the power setting for the usb 3.0 hub they go in.

I didn't save my controller bindings because I didn't yet look up how to reinstall just the f14 module.

Update: this is going to sound silly and amateur-ish, but a recent string of very frustrating PC instabilities, including these F-14 crashes though none during my F18 play, seems to have been solved by completely uninstalling Corsair iCUE. My Windows10 system has been living harmoniously with iCUE for a while now so maybe it's a recent version of iCUE or Windows10 that aren't doing well together. And maybe I could've gotten away with just turning off sensor logging or some other minor adjustments to iCUE but for now I'll just keep it uninstalled. Thanks for the help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SAABoy said:

Many thanks for your feedback. 👌

You're not the first user reporting/suspecting a DCS conflict with iCUE:

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

Many thanks for your feedback. 👌

You're not the first user reporting/suspecting a DCS conflict with iCUE:

Welp after that one good night without crashes I have crashes again yesterday and today. I've attached some files. Do you see any culprit?

dcs.log.old dcs.log

Argh. I see a crash caused by the "DX device removed" error, and a freeze probably caused by the Tomcat module (more info here).

Are you sure iCUE is out of the equation? (didn't it restart along with your PC?)

7 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Argh. I see a crash caused by the "DX device removed" error, and a freeze probably caused by the Tomcat module (more info here).

Are you sure iCUE is out of the equation? (didn't it restart along with your PC?)

According to windows10 icue is uninstalled and I've also manually deleted some leftover, though empty, folders just in case. I haven't tried flying the hornet or reinstalling the F14 module yet so I guess I could try those.

Once upon a time I tried to install a jvoy device and though I uninstalled it the device still shows up in DCS. Is it possible that's causing these crashes?

2 minutes ago, SAABoy said:

Once upon a time I tried to install a jvoy device and though I uninstalled it the device still shows up in DCS. Is it possible that's causing these crashes?

I have the exact same vJoy problem but I have no "DXGI_..." crashes, so I guess it's a no

If I find how to remove this vJoy device, I'll let you know.

I've just found how to remove the vJoy device:

1. Go to Windows Device Manager
  2. Look for "Human Interface Devices" (HID)
  3. Right click your vJoy deice and clic "Uninstall"
  4. Ensure "Uninstall driver" is checked as well.