why f-18 no power after hit

MivwTaupos

I think there is no damage model for Hornet

• Like 1

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

24 minutes ago, flankerjun said:

I think there is no damage model for Hornet

Limited, but there is.
I had two kinds of damage - fuel tanks hit and instant fuel loss; avionics bay hit and all MFDs and HUD frozen - not off, but completly frozen last data.

• Like 1

The Hornet has a very basic damage model, you are mostly fully ok or fully damaged regardless of what hit you. 

E.g. a single bullet can kill both engines and you lose all power, or you lose a wing etc. 

It also doesn't really matter where you get hit. You can get hit by a bullet on the nose and lose a piece of the tail. 

I suppose they will at some point include a damage model but who knows.

• Like 1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

If your engines got hit, they no longer produce energy via the generators.

This will result in a offline jet. With battery only you have just a limited systems supported (just think about your start up after the battery turned on).

Check NATOPS "Both Generators inoperative" to get a oversight.

You can land the Hornet with one engine but the loss of both engines is literally a full loss of the jet.

Because it's FBW it's not very controllable without power.

With Battery still operational, start APU, try to restart a engine.

(...) If an engine cannot be restarted or a suitable landing site is not available, eject.(...) (Natops "Forced Landing").

With combat damage involved it's likely that you end up with the eject part.

1. Limited Damage model that easily result in both engines dead

2. No Engines = No power. Restart or eject.

Greetings

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:00 AM, Rescue said:

Because it's FBW it's not very controllable without power.

That's not strictly speaking true. Enough of the DFCS can be powered by the battery to give you full control over the aircraft, and even if the full electrical system quits you can fly the plane in MECH mode without any electrical power at all. The bigger problem is hydraulic pressure. If neither engine is turning the hydraulic system will loose pressure pretty quickly, and without hydraulics to move the control surfaces the aircraft will be completely uncontrollable. 

But this is all moot right now, as the Hornet has a very very simple damage model in DCS. My assumption is that they only included the barest damage modeling necessary with EA in the knowledge that they were going to be completely reworking the damage modeling for all aircraft in the future anyway. That process is well along for the WWII aircraft, and once it's done they will move on to implementing the same system for all the modern aircraft. Assuming they complete the damage model for the modern aircraft with the same attention to detail they have with the WWII planes, it'll be well worth the wait. 

• Thanks 1