Environment Engine Update (more detailed maps)

GEIST

Hi Comrades,

first post here with a suggestion. The game is fantastic but there is one thing that's been bothering me. It seems there is a disconnect between the highly detailed planes/vehicles and the provided maps. At the max settings the blended tiled ground textures are actually the most apparent. It's a bit 1990s. The newer maps are a bit better, but fundamentally that's just covering the low-res ground with more trees and assets.

I think an engine upgrade with a feature like Nanite(UE5) or Turing Mesh Shaders(Nvidia) - whatever it's called - would push DCS to the next level. This would mean an "unlimited" amount of polygons in screenspace which would allow for highly detailed terrains and textures. What I've seen from UE5 it doesn't even necessarily mean a lot more strain on the GPU, but more on the memory and hard drive. With SSDs and more RAM becoming the norm I think this is a logical next step.  

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/introduction-turing-mesh-shaders/

Make the maps look more like the right side and less like the left (taken from a dcs/msfs2020 video on youtube)
With the newly implemented clouds (which I prefer over the MSFS clouds tbh) I hope the engine team can move on to a new task like this soon. AA is fantastic now with the clouds, now AG needs a bit of a facelift.

Hope this finds some support and consideration in the EG team. Keep up the great work! Cheers!

dcsMaps.jpg

• Like 4

I agree on 100 %. All planes are greatly done. New clouds are the best one in the sims right now imho.  DCS is really needs new ground modeling and texturing. But on the oher side i cannot wait what improvments brings the new Marianas Map. 

• Like 1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Agreed! I think the Marianas island map does look promising. However, I think fundamentally that map is covering up the engine's limitations nicely. Mostly water and land covered in trees. When looking at the images closely it's still a lowpoly ground with a tiled grass texture on it. If you compare that to the latest UE5 (which is admittedly brand new tech from one of the biggest engine developers) the differences become clear. 

I am still super excited for the Marianas map as it does really look nice what they were able to get out of the current engine. I am just thinking for the next desert map it's not going to cut it anymore.

ue5_dcs.jpg

• Like 1

Supposedly the Marianas are a trial map for some new ED terrain technology (though details of which are unknown), but maybe a part of that is a higher detailed mesh.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.