AZ/EL page radar scan outline wrong vertical limits

Steel Jaw

In the manual and Chuck's Guide, the mechanics and use of it are explained well, but there is no mention I can find of how actually GET INTO that mode.

Thanks.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

It's only available in A/A mode, lower left on the TAC menu. You can also bring it up quickly on the left DDI, by bumping SCS Left, if there isn't a page that can accept TDC priority on the left DDI already (always in A/A mode).

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

If you have a pod equipped, going into an a2a mode defaults to showing the pod on the left DDI, and it being able to become sensor of interest, you can't bump into AZ/EL. I've always found that quite annoying, dunno if there is a workaround.

7 hours ago, Harker said:

It's only available in A/A mode, lower left on the TAC menu. You can also bring it up quickly on the left DDI, by bumping SCS Left, if there isn't a page that can accept TDC priority on the left DDI already (always in A/A mode).

Castle left stopped working for me after the HOTAS update. I go AA mode or AA weapon select, stores page comes up on left DDI, SCS left and nothing happens. I have to press the DDI buttons to get it to come up.

Same thing with EW page in NAV. Did this happen to you?

4 hours ago, Zyll said:

If you have a pod equipped, going into an a2a mode defaults to showing the pod on the left DDI, and it being able to become sensor of interest, you can't bump into AZ/EL. I've always found that quite annoying, dunno if there is a workaround.

Yeah this is totally incorrect, I don't know why ED hasn't fixed it yet.

4 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

Castle left stopped working for me after the HOTAS update. I go AA mode or AA weapon select, stores page comes up on left DDI, SCS left and nothing happens. I have to press the DDI buttons to get it to come up.

Same thing with EW page in NAV. Did this happen to you?

Just checked, works for me, as long as I don't have a page that can accept the TDC, on the LDDI.

Did the EW page shortcut ever work? I didn't know it was in.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

3 hours ago, Harker said:

Just checked, works for me, as long as I don't have a page that can accept the TDC, on the LDDI.

Did the EW page shortcut ever work? I didn't know it was in.

It did before the HOTAS update. Weird. Only ones that work for me are SCS right to get ATK/RADAR and down to get/cycle HSI/SA page. I'll have to play around and see what's going on.

12 hours ago, Zyll said:

Work around would be to use the AA weapon select switch, as that brings stores page on the LDDI. However, SCS left doesn't do anything for me with that up. You can try it out it should work.

It did before the HOTAS update. Weird. Only ones that work for me are SCS right to get ATK/RADAR and down to get/cycle HSI/SA page. I'll have to play around and see what's going on.
Wait, how did you get to EW before? I've been paying very close attention to the DCS Hornet and have never head of this being implimented.

Mobius708

Speaking of AZ/EL dispaly, recently I noticed, that FOV yellow rectangle do Not show exact limits of radar scan, but few degrees more (2-3°). So if you move your scan zone so that targets symbol almost touches the yellow line, ... contact will disappear. In other words, there is a blind area on the lower and upper edge of AZ/EL rectangle. THIS IS A BUG.

If any of you will think the same, will than report this as a BUG.

Luckily, this weird feature doesnt affect the sides of AZ/EL rectangle.

Screen_210613_231911.png

Simillar test done, when I flown straight and set bottom scan altitude on radar display under TDC to my cooaltitude. The AZ/EL FOV yellow line was this 2-3° bellow horizon line.

Screen_210613_232011.png

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

Not a bug, by default the AZ/EL display is set to the 15 degree scale, you can change it using the OSB in the top right corner between 15, 30, and 70 degrees.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

7 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Not a bug, by default the AZ/EL display is set to the 15 degree scale, you can change it using the OSB in the top right corner between 15, 30, and 70 degrees.

Of course you can do that.

But radar FOV limits should still represent exact limits of scanned area, even when scaled. There is no reason to have blind stripes inside of radar FOV rectangle.

This what MANUAL say, not a word about blind areas bellow upper and above lower radar FOV limit.

AZ_FOV_.png

AZ_FOV__.png

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

Gotcha, misunderstood what you were going for. Does the cursor altitude reflect the AZ/EL box better when out closer to 160 as opposed to inside 40? One thing the AZ/EL box doesn't really reflect well is the conical shape of the radar volume when up close and narrow, the box may be drawn to reflect the scan volume at maximum range.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

It shows the scan pattern, not the radar beam itself. The scan pattern is always a rectangle, with the exception of BST, IIRC.

• Like 1

-

15 hours ago, Harker said:

It shows the scan pattern, not the radar beam itself. The scan pattern is always a rectangle, with the exception of BST, IIRC.

It have to show radar scanned limits with correct angles (azimuth and elevation angles) for every bar number setting.

If TDC lower height value is at level with airplane, than the bottom yellow line have to be exactly on middle green horizon line. Not 2-3° bellow. Same thing should work for upper scan angle limit.

------------- REPORTED AS A BUG ---------------

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

It have to show radar scanned limits with correct angles (azimuth and elevation angles) for every bar number setting.
If TDC lower height value is at level with airplane, than the bottom yellow line have to be exactly on middle green horizon line. Not 2-3° bellow. Same thing should work for upper scan angle limit.
Yeah, I wasn't debating that. I was just stating that the AZ/EL doesn't show you what the radar beam is doing at all times, just what the full pattern is. And in most cases, the pattern is rectangular.
  • Like 1

-

• GumidekCZ changed the title to AZ/EL page, wrong radar vertical scan FOV limits
  • 2 years later...
  • BIGNEWY changed the title to AZ/EL page radar scan outline wrong vertical limits
  • ED Team

Please do not make new threads, just use the one already open. 

edit: reported created for team to check

thanks

edit: threads merged

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2