Is there a way to start a custom mission with the wings folded while on land, like at Nellis? I want to cold start on land that includes spreading the wings.

gtsab

Yeah, there really is no need to fold wings on land bro! That may be the reason!  USMC Hornets IRL where I was stationed, were worried that they could not get the wing to unfold because the jets were so old. Makes sense to me.

Edited by Jackjack171
  • Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Thanks for the replies folks.  The reason I would like to unfold the wings on land is because I use my simpit as a STEM training device at the local community college and high school, and my guest pilots are super novices that like to push all the buttons and see all the stuff move - but starting them on the ship and thinking they can taxi to the hookup is too much for these beginners.  So if I could have the wings folded at a cold start, it would be another pretty cool thing for the young students to be able to do during the start up procedure.

thanks

2 hours ago, gtsab said:

...So if I could have the wings folded at a cold start, it would be another pretty cool thing for the young students to be able to do during the start up procedure.

On a cold start, no, I know of no way to have the wings folded from the start, as there is no hydraulic power to fold them.

But, if you do a hot start, then a trigger can fold the wings automatically:

- First retract the Flaps, as you can't fold the wings with the flaps extended: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3017, Value 1

- Next, pull the Wing Fold handle: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3010, Value 1

- Now rotate the handle CCW 1 position: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3021, Value 0

- Finally, rotate the handle again: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3021, Value 0

Leave 1 second between each trigger, to give the mechanisms time to move. Here is a sample.

F-18 - test wing fold (by Rudel_chw).miz

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi. I am completelly ignorant on that matter, but maybe there is a .Lua file where the "starting aircraft" reads its state, let's say, "INS OFF", "Left DDI OFF", etc, and there is "win_folded= false" or something similar. Maybe changing that could result in a folded wing srtart up. Just a thinking...

Saludos.

Saca111

18 hours ago, Mower said:

Not that I know of, likely because there's no reason to fold the wings on the ramp on land AFAIK.

Actually  the  base  where  i worked  on land, they  had  to have  their  wings  folded   due  to  the  fact  they  couldnt  fit in  the ola  hangers  where  we  parked  2  per  ola On  taxi  out  they  folded  the  wings

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 2:05 PM, Rudel_chw said:

On a cold start, no, I know of no way to have the wings folded from the start, as there is no hydraulic power to fold them.

But, if you do a hot start, then a trigger can fold the wings automatically:

- First retract the Flaps, as you can't fold the wings with the flaps extended: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3017, Value 1

- Next, pull the Wing Fold handle: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3010, Value 1

- Now rotate the handle CCW 1 position: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3021, Value 0

- Finally, rotate the handle again: X:COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION, Device 2, Command 3021, Value 0

Leave 1 second between each trigger, to give the mechanisms time to move. Here is a sample.

F-18 - test wing fold (by Rudel_chw).miz 20.99 kB · 2 downloads

Wings fold drive is actually electrically driven not hydraulic. You can fold wings by reset power then putting 4 to B. 

If you really like your students to press buttons and switches find a copy of the Pro A launch preduces. It will basically have them go through most everything. 

12 minutes ago, mongo52 said:

Wings fold drive is actually electrically driven not hydraulic. You can fold wings by reset power then putting 4 to B. 

Thanks, didn't remember that 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Seriously, there is no way to start cold and dark with wings folded, or did I misunderstand. emoji4.png

only way is to start on a carrier, on an airbase nope.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

The answer hasn't changed, but I thought this was interesting given the OP:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nellis+AFB,+NV/@36.2267336,-115.0516239,104m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c8dd979f1a4539:0x890a4a296fadb5ef!8m2!3d36.2406295!4d-115.0542759

Google maps, Nellis, switch to satellite.  There are a bunch of hornets, and several have their wings folded.  Let nobody say they never fold them at Nellis!  🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 1:06 AM, mongo52 said:

Looks like Growlers. Its SOP for them to fold wings. Those wingtips pods are expensive. 

Agreed, Growlers or at least two-seat Rhinos. 

Growlers (and previously Prowlers) are regular visitors to Nellis as the USAF doesn’t have indigenous electronic warfare jets since the retiring of the SparkVark.