Can i see synthetic runway with ILS only?

TheConqueror

No, you have to have a waypoint on the runway with the runway heading parameter (CP - Cap Piste) set correctly in order to see the synthetic runway. With the recent nav updates you can now set it from the cockpit instead of relying on having it set in the mission editor which is very cool. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The synthetic runway feature is a combined INS/PCN/barometric function. It relies on four pieces of data:

• ILS localizer and glideslope position
  • system altitude above runway surface
  • PCN value for true heading of runway
  • PCN value for glideslope angle

As long as your altimeter is calibrated correctly and your currently selected BUT values for heading and glide slope match the runway and ILS GS respectively then the synthetic runway feature will integrate well with the active ILS. It doesn't matter where that BUT is located relative to you or the airport. All the system is doing is pulling those two numbers out of computer memory to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

You don’t actually need the waypoint coordinates, only CP and PD are required. LAT and LON don’t have any effect.

Don’t forget QFE setting too.

Huh I didn't even realize that. Saves me some trouble! Makes sense too. Otherwise you'd have to be very specific about the part of the runway you chose IRL which would be super prone to error. Also explains why the QFE has to be right, not using the ALT from the waypoint either. 

It is nice having some coordinates near to get a good idea of your distance from the airfield though

• 2 weeks later...

The ILS in DCS is very picky, it's active only when the AI ATC decides to enable it. It will never switch it on in rear wind conditions, and at low/no wind conditions it's messy. This is the case for all aircraft

See here for instance :

1. For example, at Syria map, why there is only a few (2 I think) airports supporting ILS? IS this still WIP, or this is how it is IRL?

--

On 6/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, gnomechild said:

No, you have to have a waypoint on the runway with the runway heading parameter (CP - Cap Piste) set correctly in order to see the synthetic runway. With the recent nav updates you can now set it from the cockpit instead of relying on having it set in the mission editor which is very cool. 

2. How we do that?

Edited by skywalker22

It doesn't have to be on the runway although it helps if you want general navigation toward the airbase or you can use TACAN or just fly visually. You pick a waypoint, any number, and set parameter dial to "CP/PD" and type in your runway heading and glide slope angle values. For Kobuleti 07 I found 69.9 and 03.0 to be correct. As long as your current waypoint is selected and has CP/PD values and "APP" is selected then synthetic runway will show up on HUD if you are in the ILS beam.

Mirage ILS approach.trk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 5:49 AM, Frederf said:

The synthetic runway feature is a combined INS/PCN/barometric function. It relies on four pieces of data:

• ILS localizer and glideslope position
  • system altitude above runway surface
  • PCN value for true heading of runway
  • PCN value for glideslope angle

Why the true heading and not the magnetic heading of the runway since the runway number is based on the magnetic azimuth??🤔

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Because it's a PCN/INS function and INSs work in true. The only way the PCN knows how to display any magnetic values in the cockpit is the variation data entry which allows its true internal calculations to be displayed adjusted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kappi said:

Why the true heading and not the magnetic heading of the runway since the runway number is based on the magnetic azimuth??🤔

Remember that magnetic heading changes over time... If the CP was magnetic, it should be updated every year.

• Thanks 1

Hello guys, thanks for this topic, I am learning so much about the ILS landing these days !

I manage to program an ILS landing from cockpit thanks to chuck's guide and this forum, but I have some issues with the synthetic runway. The landings is correct using autopilot, the only issue is really the synthetic runway alinement, as you can see :

20210710004038_1.jpg20210710004140_1.jpg

It's a bit too much on the left and too high compared to reality. What have I done wrong ? Happened here at Tbilisi Lochini but happens anywhere else

Height you fix with the altimeter adjustment knob. Set QFE (altimeter reads height above runway). For example on default weather ATC says QFE 28.29" which is 958mb. Exact alignment might need some fine tuning. It's better for the rectangle to float 0-50' above the runway than below it.

For alignment make sure the CP value for that BUT is 128.0.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:58 AM, RockMyRoot said:

Hello guys, thanks for this topic, I am learning so much about the ILS landing these days !

I manage to program an ILS landing from cockpit thanks to chuck's guide and this forum, but I have some issues with the synthetic runway. The landings is correct using autopilot, the only issue is really the synthetic runway alinement, as you can see :

20210710004038_1.jpg20210710004140_1.jpg

It's a bit too much on the left and too high compared to reality. What have I done wrong ? Happened here at Tbilisi Lochini but happens anywhere else

i think its because you have used the wrong heading in CP/DP. You need true heading not magnetic heading. Anyway, go to the kneeboard page for the runway you want to land on and note the number next to the runway (this is magnetic heading). Now set UNI Selector Swtich to DEC you'll see a number now, iirc 6.6. The heading you need to enter is magnetic heading + the number shown in DEC which makes it true heading. And that's the one you need to enter

• Like 1

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat