Night vision goggles do not function during dark night.

Nickentik

I use oben beta but that will be stable as from today....

I'm currently running through the A10c campaigns after finally learning this wonderful beast. Right now i have about 6 campaigns all stuck on their mandatory night mission because the night vision goggles just don't work. The world is a black void, only the stars are visible. I even crash into mountains if I don't notice the sudden cutoff of stars. I can use the targeting pod but guns or anything that requires an outside visual are a no-go.

I know it was written up as a "known problem" with the 2.7 release but its far more serious than the small irritant its been made out to be.

I see no-one complaining about this. Is anything being done about it ?

I did complain quite a lot, but NVG fix doesn't seem to be a priority at this time. The  best thing we can do is post tracks and videos showing how difficult it is to execute missions with NVG current state. Can you please attach tracks of these missions you're talking about?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I've got the same problem.

So I'm unable to teach night missions in the OFS until it is fixed. 😞

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

On 6/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, Nickentik said:

I use oben beta but that will be stable as from today....

I'm currently running through the A10c campaigns after finally learning this wonderful beast. Right now i have about 6 campaigns all stuck on their mandatory night mission because the night vision goggles just don't work. The world is a black void, only the stars are visible. I even crash into mountains if I don't notice the sudden cutoff of stars. I can use the targeting pod but guns or anything that requires an outside visual are a no-go.

I know it was written up as a "known problem" with the 2.7 release but its far more serious than the small irritant its been made out to be.

I see no-one complaining about this. Is anything being done about it ?

temporary solution for now is to edit the .miz in editor, modify date so that there is full moon and perhaps remove clouds if theyre thick.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Thanks for the replies. It warms my old heart to know I'm not alone in this.

Posting tracks is hard as its super frustrating to deal with and I have my hands full with RL stuff right now. In the little free time I have I just want to blow stuff up XD.

Changing the moon and weather is a good idea that could work with some of free content, many of the campaign are locked however.

I think it's really weird that this was not prioritized directly after it was discovered. I'm flying into the ground quite a lot because the NVGs doesn't provide enough ground lighting.

Can't run my night missions effectively without it and as a consequence, I stopped flying them.

@NineLine Any words on this and why it's not being prioritized?

Edited by b0bl00i

I have this problem with last mission of Argo (Huey) campaign. How long this has been unfixed? Maybe I should ask the creator modify mission. 

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

I've edited 09_A10Sturm1.miz to start 5:30 instead of 2:00 a.m. in A-10C Sturmovik campaign.
But this is only possible in unencrypted campaigns.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

Here's two tracks : 

- Huey :  NVG_broken_huey_OK.trk Custom mission for my training needs. *NVG working as expected*, this is the control case. 😄 

- Mi8 : NVG_broken_mi8.trk NVG broken, can't see a thing... That's the mission from Spring Tension with everything remove to fit the 5MB limit of the forum ... (How are you supposed post tracks with this limit ?? What's the trick ? )

Other tracks available but larger than 5MB so I don't know how I can upload them.

List of campaign missions where I've seen this so far :

- Mi8 Spring Tension, mission 19 (the one where your drop light bombs), also another one but I can't remember which one (convoy maybe ?)

- M2k Red Flag, both night missions (the 1st dogfight one and the rocket firing one under mudhen illumination) are very *very* dark

=> As far as I can tell, half or more of the night missions are currently unplayable ? This needs to be fixed, we fly all-weather ops here ! 🙂 

same in VR and it is still not fixed in the latest OB.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is still an issue. We were trying to do low level IR Mavs in Nevada at night, 3/4 moon, was fine until about 30 minutes pre-dawn and it went pitch black, couldn't see the ground even with NVGs. Moon was still overhead. It's like when it switched from night to day lighting or something.

They really need to sort this out, a lot of paid campaigns are ruined at the moment because NVGs don't work as intended. There's no point paying money for campaigns with night missions if you can't actually finish the missions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

Patience. It's barely been *4 months* (*) since this was reported. 🤦‍♂️

A possible workaround could be to change the dates of all night missions to happen during full moon, maybe. Getting all content creators on board would still be much faster than waiting for a proper fix, apparently. 🙄 (I don't know if full moon is enough if there is an overcast, though)

(*) other thread started on May 2nd : 

• 5 months later...

I saw this in the changelog of DCS version 2.7.9.18080:

NVG image very dark in moonless night - corrected.

Source: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/stable/2.7.9.18080/

But I haven't tested it yet.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.