2.7 Clouds disappear when I reach them

Go to solution Solved by Tom Kazansky,

my first start on DCS2.7.1 (stable, no mods, FXO+Metashaders/2 new, latest nVidia drv for my RTX2080/intel 8700, no overclocking):

Caucasus FA-18C freeflight

the default quick start mission (freeflight) has a cloud layer at 40.000ft

in the track: the second time I climbed through them they faded away and stayed away after descending below 40k ft.

(Sometimes they fade away the first time I touch them and come back after descending, sometimes the stay away at the first time. Happens to me at NTTR freeflight and Caucasus ready on the ramp default quick missions too).

(time acceleration does not hurt this track replay)

anybody else experiencing this?

EDIT: this also happens to me with the highest thin cloud layer of the weather preset "Bewölkung 3" (Clouds 3? mine is German) that I am testing at the moment. all other/lower cloud layers are still visible.

EDIT2: cloud layer does not disappear while slewing through the layer with F11 free cam.

FA-18C 2.7 clouds disappear 01.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I can reproduce this, yes.

Your mission has no clouds at all (preset "NOTHING"). As far as I know, this preset is a placeholder cloud setting used to replace pre-2.7 missions cloud settings. If you want prettier and more realistic clouds, use one of the presets: click on "Nothing" and make your choice.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

so, here is another track that shows exactly the same issue with the first of the cloud presets, which is not "nothing". Issue is there with the next preset too, with all of the 4 I've tested so far.

I needed 3 attempts in the track, so feel free to use time acceleration.

edit: happens to me on 2D monitor and VR (HP G2)

FA-18C 2.7 clouds disappear 02.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky

• ED Team

Checked on our internal build it looks ok for me, the cloud base is noticeable when you pass through and are above it. 

The team are tweaking clouds so this maybe why.

thanks for the report. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 hours ago, Flappie said:

Reproduced again. 👌

Here's a short clip of the result. I'll ask BIGNEWY to take a look.

Thanks for testing. But what I reported was something else. In your video the top layer is visible all the time. Beeing above it makes it harder but I can still see it.

Both of my tracks show a different behaviour on my end. (And all other test with all different weather preset show the same here:)

After climbing and descending through the thin top layer it disappears completely (it takes 2-3 climbs/descends for that) and then it is gone. It is not that is is hard to see. It is not there anymore.

Do you see something else on your system at the end of my tracks?

Here are two screenshots from the same track (my 2nd track from above) at the same altitude:

(All I did between pic1 and pic2 was 3x climbs and 3x descents through that cloud layer.)

(EDIT: plz remeber: I can slew 100x through those layers with the F11 free cam and they don't disappear)

Digital Combat Simulator 14.06.2021 18_10_18.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 14.06.2021 18_09_33.jpg

Edited by Tom Kazansky

• 2 months later...
DCS 2.7.5.10869 - 18.08.2021

I can still make the upper thin cloud layer (e.g. at 30k ft) go away by climbing and descending thruogh it (3 to 5 times).

I repeat, it is not like the layer is just hard to see but it is gone and does not come back. Like in the 2 screenshots of my last post made from same altitude in the same flight.

Do you need another track?

I can reproduce this issue on Caucasus, NTTR, Marianas (haven't tried others yet)

here is a new track of the default Marianas Freeflight Mission. This time the cloud layer at 40k ft disappeared on the first try.

Plz tell me whether you see the 40k layer at the end of my track from aircraft-altitude of 25k to 28k or not.

(What happens in the track: airborne start -> climb to 42k ft -> descent to 25k, that's all. you may use time accel.)

FA-18C 2.7.5 clouds disappear 03 Marianas.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Hey @Tom Kazansky. I looked at your track and I cannot reproduce your issue.

Here's an easier track to watch, same mission : I eject from the Hornet at the very begining, then move the camera throughout the sky. No need to use acceleration, it will last about 2 minutes.

1. At Angel 41, the highest cloud layer disappears.
  2. After going up to Angel 47, the camera goes backward.
  3. The highest cloud layer reappears at Angel 41, at least for me.

What do you see on your end?

no_sky_issue.trk

16 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hey @Tom Kazansky. I looked at your track and I cannot reproduce your issue.

Here's an easier track to watch, same mission : I eject from the Hornet at the very begining, then move the camera throughout the sky. No need to use acceleration, it will last about 2 minutes.

1. At Angel 41, the highest cloud layer disappears.
  2. After going up to Angel 47, the camera goes backward.
  3. The highest cloud layer reappears at Angel 41, at least for me.

What do you see on your end?

no_sky_issue.trk 3 MB · 1 download

thank you very much @Flappie for taking the time to help me.

I just watched your track and I see no issue. The cloud layer is there. But that's no surprise. I understand that you did not read the OP again after all those weeks. So I just want to remind that "cloud layer does not disappear while slewing through the layer with F11 free cam."

BUT: here comes the issue. When I take control of your Hornet in your track and I do what I described above: climbing to 42k ft and descending to whatever below 40K ft i see this:

Digital Combat Simulator 26.08.2021 12_21_32.jpg

no cloud layer at 40k ft anymore, that was there as long as I stayed below it. Watch my altitude: 28k ft. The layer at 40k should be visable but it's gone and does not come back (AFAIK).

What makes it hard to reproduce is: usually you need 3-6 climbs+descents through the upper thin cloud layer, but with our tracks of the dafault Mariana Free flight mission I needed just 1 climb+descent.

So, if I may ask you a last favour: Plz take your track's Hornet and do some climbs and descents up to 42k+ ft down to 25-35k ft and tell me plz whether your upper cloud layer is still there in the end.

Thank you for your kind help!

Sorry, I forgot I had tried this previously.

I'll try again aboard an aircraft (I can't watch your track without getting headaches because it's VR and the pilot's head if bobbling constantly! 😄).

• Solution

WAIT! I've found the reason for the cloud layer "issue".

It has nothing to do with climbing+descending through the layer. Every 160 seconds (or so, less then 3 minutes) it fades away. AND: it comes back again after a similar period of time. This seems to be intended. Not too realistic but I'm ok with that. And it explains why I sometimes needed 6 tries.

See a track recorded with time acceleration in active pause:

Thanks for your help @flappie! You've been pushing me to the truth.

FA-18C 2.7.5 clouds disappear 05 Caucasus.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1