Module Free trial on Steam?

Jackaroo

• ED Team

Hi 

It is not possible to bring this free trial offer to steam. 

You can link your steam account to your dcs account and use stand alone if you wish to. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/profile/

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I use Steam, but I installed a stand alone for the trials. Not a problem at all.  

But I guess there is no way to get that tasty 50% off a stand alone purchase and transfer the module to Steam?

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 minute ago, Beirut said:

But I guess there is no way to get that tasty 50% off a stand alone purchase and transfer the module to Steam?

No, there is no way. But please note that that 50% off the first purchase is not just for one module ... you could purchase several Modules and get a 50% discount on the total:

"And for all newcomers to DCS, you can benefit from a 50% joining discount on your first purchase, whether you buy one module or the whole library! Spread the news."

That may make it worthwhile to abandon Steam and use Stand alone instead.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No, there is no way. But please note that that 50% off the first purchase is not just for one module ... you could purchase several Modules and get a 50% discount on the total:

"And for all newcomers to DCS, you can benefit from a 50% joining discount on your first purchase, whether you buy one module or the whole library! Spread the news."

Make a new user and get everything?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I'm actually comfortable on Steam (god forbid), and my wallet can't be moved anyway, and there are a couple of bucks in it just for future DCS purchases. 

That said, if I could get the Viper and Tomcat at 50% off (on Steam), I'd probably buy both today. That would be very hard to resist.

Edited by Beirut
Because!

Once a better downloader and verifier is available I will go on standalone, for now I am good with Steam version. I buy everything anyway
What do you mean better downloader?
Check out Skatezilla's updater. It's waaaaay better than Steam!
Cheers!

35 minutes ago, Beirut said:

That said, if I could get the Viper and Tomcat at 50% off (on Steam), I'd probably buy both today. That would be very hard to resist.

The Summer Steam Sale should be on June 23, just a short wait .. tough its unlikely to have 50% discount on the more recent aircrafts. 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

10 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

The Summer Steam Sale should be on June 23, just a short wait .. tough its unlikely to have 50% discount on the more recent aircrafts. 

Yeah, that's the problem. I'd buy the Viper and Tomcat at 50% today just for the cool factor and the fun of flying. But at (about) 66% and 85%, as is offered on Steam, no. And to be honest I kind of have everything I want. Unless there is an extra-special discount - like 50% for the Viper and Tomcat - I'm done buying existing modules I think.

More planes and maps, please. :happy:

In theory, there isn't really anything preventing the trial periods (minus the first-time-buy) from coming to Steam, the issue is that Valve might not see it as a valuable thing to do, especially if they feel like it would cut into sales. That said, if this works, and ED comes to Valve with the sales figures to prove that it can work for Steam users, they'll find a way to get it implemented, especially if the sales and player retention numbers exceed expectations. You have to remember, trial periods aren't a common thing for Steam, since a trial period would normally result in someone playing a single-player game, beating the story, and letting the trial run out without actually buying the game.

So while I'm not holding my breath (I am a Steam user after all), I do see both sides of the argument, and do hope that in due time, ED can convince Valve to allow Steam users to make use of the trial period system.

9 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

If i link my steam account, would i still be a dcs newcomer after that? I would like to give standalone a try with binding my steam account, but i'd rather keep the 50% offer for a later time, when i can purchase multiple modules at the same time (right now, i only have a single module on my "urgent" wishlist)

Edited by twistking

If i link my steam account, would i still be a dcs newcomer after that? I would like to give standalone a try with binding my steam account, but i'd rather keep the 50% offer for a later time, when i can purchase multiple modules at the same time (right now, i only have one module, that i have my eyes on...)
Probably not, as you then will have modules in your account, so you probably need to make a new one.

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Probably not, as you then will have modules in your account, so you probably need to make a new one. emoji6.png

yes, that makes sense. well, i think i will just wait with moving to standalone: keep playing on steam with what i have and then transfer once my "urgent" wishlist has grown bigger.

• Like 1

yes, that makes sense. well, i think i will just wait with moving to standalone: keep playing on steam with what i have and then transfer once my "urgent" wishlist has grown bigger.
I get that!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi 

It is not possible to bring this free trial offer to steam. 

You can link your steam account to your dcs account and use stand alone if you wish to. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/profile/

Is there a particular reasoning behind this? You've extended the Free Trial offer to Steam users in the recent past, so precedent has been set. 20% Complaint 80% Curiosity.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Rakkis said:

Is there a particular reasoning behind this? You've extended the Free Trial offer to Steam users in the recent past, so precedent has been set. 20% Complaint 80% Curiosity.

It is not possible to do rolling two week free trials that renew every six months on steam. 

Our own Eshop system can do this. 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2