In-Cockpit Engine Sound with V 2.7 Stable

Bob1943

Just downloaded Stable 2.7 and did a start-up, taxi, takeoff in the F-5.

There is a very noticeable difference in the in-cockpit engine sound with 2.7 compared to the old 2.6.  The new sound is a much harsher sound whereas the old version had a much smoother, high-pitched "whir/whine".  I flew the T-38 in pilot training 53 years ago, but I cannot remember what the engines sounded like in the cockpit with my helmet on.

I assume this was an intentional change with 2.7, but I much prefer the old 2.6 engine sound.

Anyone else notice this sound change, and, like or dislike it?

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

I assume this was an intentional change with 2.7, but I much prefer the old 2.6 engine sound.

Hi. That's very strange, cause there was not any changes for F-5 cockpit sounds. It was for F-16 only. 

Although the changes may have been made a long time ago and were not included in previous updates.

But let me update this to make it more comfortable for you. Maybe you can give me the youtube-link with the cockpit sounds of F-5 that you really like and I will try to adjust the sounds to it.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Here is a link to a short YouTube clip which illustrates the difference in the F-5 in-cockpit engine sound from Stable 2.6 to Stable 2.7.

Canopy is closed in both examples.

I think you will be able to hear the very noticeable difference from the high-pitch whir/whine in version 2.6 to the harsh, "vacuum sweeper" sound that is produced in version 2.7.

The version 2.6 sound seems more realistic to me for a high rpm jet turbine.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Edited by Bob1943

I don't recall any of the jets that I flew (T-37, T-38, F-111, F-100, AT-33, A-37) having that harsh "vacuum sweeper" 2.7 sound when sitting in the cockpit with a helmet on.  But, it has been about a half century since I have been in the cockpit, so my memory may be unreliable.  For the DCS F-5, I personally like the 2.6 sound better.

Edited by Bob1943

• ED Team
12 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

Here is a link to a short YouTube clip which illustrates the difference in the F-5 in-cockpit engine sound from Stable 2.6 to Stable 2.7.

Definitely 2.7 is better for me and more realistic 🙂

But please give me the real-video from the cockpit that you will like to hear in DCS. 

• Like 1

Best regards,

Personally i think 2.7 is way better.  Watching the vid above i kinda cringed at the 2.6 sound.  That's just me though, i haven't flown an F-5.   Just my 2cents.

Edit:   I do hear what the OP means about the "vacuum sweeper" though after watching the video again, it is a bit excessive. 🙂

Edited by 26-J39
addition

Im a big fan of the 2.7 sounds. Cant base any of that on real life experiences, I just like the way it sounds. More immersive for me.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• ED Team
2 hours ago, YMadDog said:

@btd you are not really changing cockpit sounds because of one persons liking, are you?

Of course not 🙂 not so easy )))

First I want to explore why Bob likes the previous version better and compare it with the real sound of the cockpit, which I hope Bob will provide me. Perhaps some small detail was overlooked by me in updating the sounds. And I could tweak it without spoiling the current sound.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Sorry, I do not have any real in-cockpit sound recordings from my USAF career.  I do have some recordings of my radio transmissions from some of my Vietnam missions in the F-100, but you don't really hear any background engine sounds on those old tapes, i.e., the mic was inside my oxygen mask and was well-shielded from cockpit engine noise.

Once you put on your helmet, which contains padded earphones, you get quite a good acoustic seal from engine sounds.  So, you do not hear a lot of loud engine noise with that helmet on, especially with the canopy down.  To get an accurate model for those sounds with a helmet on, you would have to have a real pilot stick a small mic in their helmet earphone enclosure while the engines are being run up - doubtful that we will achieve that.

Like I said, it has been 50-years since I have been in the cockpit, so my memory of the actual sounds has faded a lot.  From a personal perspective, I just thought the 2.6 sounds were a little more reminiscent of in-cockpit sounds with a helmet on.  However, the forum consensus favors the 2.7 sounds, so that is fine.  Although given that consensus, have there been a lot of previous complaints about the old 2.6 in-cockpit sounds for the F-5?

19 hours ago, btd said:

Of course not 🙂 not so easy )))

First I want to explore why Bob likes the previous version better and compare it with the real sound of the cockpit, which I hope Bob will provide me. Perhaps some small detail was overlooked by me in updating the sounds. And I could tweak it without spoiling the current sound.

@btd I appreciate your effort!

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
20 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

Sorry, I do not have any real in-cockpit sound recordings from my USAF career.

Thanks for your answer. 

I mean not your video, but some of the youtube-videos, that sounds great by your memory. And we will compare them and try to find what we missed and what we can add to improve the current sound

Best regards,

btd:  Sure, I will search around the Internet and see if I can find some good cockpit sound examples.

You should hear more of the that high-pitched, turbine "whine" sound near the front of the aircraft where you are facing the engine intakes.  Then the harsher, "whoosh, vacuum sweeper" sound as you get back towards the exhaust.  When you are in the cockpit, you are closer to the intakes than the engine exhaust, so some of that high-pitch whine sound should find it's way into the cockpit.

Let me see if I can find something to help refresh my faded, 50-year old memories.

Thanks for taking the time/interest to look into this.

Update: 

Just found this YouTube video (with sound) of Swiss F-5s.  Looks like the flight leader had a Go-Pro camera, with mic, attached to the top of the instrument panel.  You can hear the cockpit engine sounds as he taxis to the runway.  However, the mic is not tucked inside his helmet, but this might give us a little better insight into actual F-5 cockpit sounds.

Yes, I hear some harsh vacuum sweeper sound, but I also hear some subtle high-pitched whistling, whine, and whir sounds during the taxi process.  Maybe for helmet sounds, we could tone down the whooshing, vacuum sweeper sound a little bit and introduce a hint of those whistling, whine, and whirring sounds.

Hopes this helps.

Edited by Bob1943

• ED Team

Many thanks for your very detailed answer. I will try to update it somehow and return to you later with some test video

For all, please don't worry, we will not return to 2.6 sounds. We will update the current for more immersion in reality.

As I see there's really can be more noticeable high-pitch noise about 1kHz:
https://youtu.be/j77LEoXWOvA?t=95

https://youtu.be/P7QumrbgLfY?t=58

• Like 2

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

I'm back 🙂

@Bob1943 and F-5 pilots and players, please take a look at this test video: 

Note, that the option "Hear like in Helmet" is OFF.

Several sounds were added, some of them updated, taking into account the reference videos that was posted above.

How do you like it. What can be improved else?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best regards,

5 hours ago, btd said:

I'm back 🙂

@Bob1943 and F-5 pilots and players, please take a look at this test video: 

Note, that the option "Hear like in Helmet" is OFF.

Several sounds were added, some of them updated, taking into account the reference videos that was posted above.

How do you like it. What can be improved else?

Nice!

alpiinoo_signature.png.92e62da0731ec62ed4f4cd1e7f958385-removebg-preview.png

That sounds pretty good.  I have been going back and forth listening to the samples that we posted versus your new sound.  You definitely have the "howling" sound in there now.

In your "F-5 Twilight Cockpit Cam" at about 2:04, the howling seems to have dissipated a lot and I begin hearing a more subtle, dominant high-pitched "scream" type sound.  I am having a hard time finding a correct word to describe that sound at 2:04, "scream" does not really describe it well, just have to listen to it and see what you think - it might just be the high-speed airstream passing by the canopy.

Also, check out the sound at about 5:40 to 6:20 in the "Patrouille Suisse" video that I posted.  That howl has begun to take on a "whir/siren" type sound.  Again, maybe a bad choice of descriptive words, have to just listen to hear what I am referring to.

Have you tried these with "Hear like in helmet" turned on?

Very much appreciate the time time you are taking to work on this.  Great job.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

In your "F-5 Twilight Cockpit Cam" at about 2:04, the howling seems to have dissipated a lot and I begin hearing a more subtle, dominant high-pitched "scream" type sound

Thanks for your answers! Yeah, you right, the high-speed airstream knocks out of the sound mix the "howling" sound. I will try to adjust the sound settings for the "howling" to make it look like this.

4 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

Also, check out the sound at about 5:40 to 6:20 in the "Patrouille Suisse" video that I posted.  That howl has begun to take on a "whir/siren" type sound. 

Yeah, it is really like a "siren", but in my video-references it is barely audible. Anyway, I think I should add it a little.

I will return with another "test-video" later

Best regards,