No sound

sergkar
Go to solution Solved by sergkar,

Hi there,

my DCS wouldn't start up since updating to the newest stable version. I could see the splash screen and the DCS process, but after a few seconds the process was simply killed.

I'm using the Steam version and have been verifying the game files for several times now. At the first run two files were redownloaded.

Also I didn't have a crash log in my user folder.

After unplugging the hub with my peripherals, starting DCS and plugging it in again, it now starts without problems but lost some control bindings for some moduls (but not all). I have, however, no more sound. I've read that for some it stops after some time, but for me it never starts.

In the DCS preferences all sound devices are recognized and they do work in all other programs. The sound mixer lists DCS and any change there has no effect. I tried to manually choose the sound device in DCS with no positive result. Any ideas?

Edited by sergkar

Hi. Have you selected the correct output in the Audio options of DCS? (right part of the image below: main audiot out, speaker layout, headphones...).

image.png

If this doesn't help, please attach your dcs.log file ( C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log - may appear as "dcs" ).

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I had left it on standard. I did, however, try manually assigning as I wrote. Also I restarted DCS after that.

According to the log, the renderer can't be started due to an unsupported format.

ERROR   SOUND: Failed to Initialize IAudioClient: 0x88890008 (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT)

Reading the log I also see quite some warnings regarding outdated hlsl-files related to clouds.

dcs.log

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

FYI: Update to the latest stable version didn't help. I did deactivate all other sound devices, started DCS, alt-tabed back to windows and set the audio device for DCS specifically from standard to that device. To no effect.

Then I restarted (again) my PC, reactivated the other devices, started DCS and had sound. Back to system preferences the device had automatically switched back to standard. Restarted again and it still worked! Crazy.

If I could I would now place my PC into read only and refrain from any further updates. That was the weirdest behaviour I've ever encountered ...

Yeah, but I'm not sure about that. Deactivating and reactivating of other sound devices I had done before ... so ... don't know what it really was.

Oh, one more thing. During my online search I came over a couple of people with audio problems in different games, that surface after one of the latest Nvidia driver updates - so that might be the cause.

Edited by sergkar

Ah, that rings a bell.

Graphics card HDMI and Display Port outputs are considered as output sound devices. If your issue ever happens to you again, look at your Windows Sound devices list, and disabled any "NVIDIA Output" device you can find.

image.png

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I did that in the device manager. Didn't help I also disconnected HDMI, also disabled the Display audio. As I said, it was really weird.

In the Nvidia software I have no audio options at all. From your screenshot I only see the 3D Settings part.

In another game, I had no sound too. There I deleted a cache folder, that contained only a couple old files but quite a lot from today, since I did reinstall today. However after deleting all files and verifying again, steam downloaded 1 file to that folder (actually strange for a cache) all other were new generated.

So actually I think, if you could tell my where the sound presets folder is located. It might possibly have helped to just delete that one and let steam download it again. That would be my guess. But I will no more fiddle with it now. 😄

Edited by sergkar

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:05 AM, sergkar said:

Hi there,

my DCS wouldn't start up since updating to the newest stable version. I could see the splash screen and the DCS process, but after a few seconds the process was simply killed.

I'm using the Steam version and have been verifying the game files for several times now. At the first run two files were redownloaded.

Also I didn't have a crash log in my user folder.

After unplugging the hub with my peripherals, starting DCS and plugging it in again, it now starts without problems but lost some control bindings for some moduls (but not all). I have, however, no more sound. I've read that for some it stops after some time, but for me it never starts.

In the DCS preferences all sound devices are recognized and they do work in all other programs. The sound mixer lists DCS and any change there has no effect. I tried to manually choose the sound device in DCS with no positive result. Any ideas?

Got the famous DCS no sound problem with my installation. Was unable to get the sound coming out of my HyperX headset or out of Pimax5k-Super VR HMD yet sound was able to come out of the computer speaker system. Was as if the Pimax and Headset systems, while recognized by windows, where not recognized by the DCS simulator anymore!!!

Got tired of fiddling around with some of the solution presented by one and the other in this post...so took the drastic measure,

I backed up my ...user/Saved Games/DCS.Openbeta folder by renamed it to... 

"DCS.openbeta - BU_V2.8.2.35759 SOUND DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED" ...rename to whatever you like!

Then restarted the simulator. This created a fresh new version of the ...user/Saved Games/DCS.Openbeta folder...and,

Presto, problem solved after a few tweaks of windows sound settings...especially WIN Settings+Sound+Advanced sound options(app volume and device preferences) which now showed the game when the game was UP.  Adjusted the slider to 100 for each of the 2 devices and that solved the problem. 

Hope this helps some of U...

SOUND SETTINGS - P1.PNG

SOUND SETTINGS - P2.PNG

SOUND SETTINGS - P3.PNG

• Thanks 1

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar