2.7 Stable VR Clouds, what's going on ?

Clogger

4 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

You can always revert to an earlier version...

Ah, is there an archive of ealier verions? I can only find 2.7 in the current downloads section.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Yes , there is . You can access it either via updater command line , or as i have , via Skatezilla's most useful updater utility . Having link problems , go to first post in the thread .

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Thanks 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old issue, but I was wondering if any progress or improvements have been made on the clouds front ? 
The subject has not been raised for a while, and it seems a bit strange to me. Maybe I'm missing something

At the moment the clouds rendering in VR is still messy for me, there is absolutely no contrast, and it's overall painful to look at.
FWIW I have a Quest 2 and an RTX 3060TI. Can someone with a similar equipment achieve better results ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
09.01.2022 в 16:46, pixie сказал:

Sorry to resurrect this old issue, but I was wondering if any progress or improvements have been made on the clouds front ? 
The subject has not been raised for a while, and it seems a bit strange to me. Maybe I'm missing something

At the moment the clouds rendering in VR is still messy for me, there is absolutely no contrast, and it's overall painful to look at.
FWIW I have a Quest 2 and an RTX 3060TI. Can someone with a similar equipment achieve better results ?

I'm with 3080Ti and Quest 2, and clouds are really bad indeed, they have strong aliasing even on ultra with MSAA 4x. I ended up downgrading to 2.5.6 as it has 2x performance of current OB and no such clouds issues (I can push ~3000x3000 per eye at 72Hz no ASW in 2.5.6). Own plenty of old modules, so I'll be playing them and won't buy anything new until ED fixes clouds and work overall on the aliasing issues present in the game. If I need eye candy in the sky I go to IL-2 FC, they have a beautiful sky and WW1 planes are perfect for them 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fiztex said:

I'm with 3080Ti and Quest 2, and clouds are really bad indeed, they have strong aliasing even on ultra with MSAA 4x. I ended up downgrading to 2.5.6 as it has 2x performance of current OB and no such clouds issues (I can push ~3000x3000 per eye at 72Hz no ASW in 2.5.6). Own plenty of old modules, so I'll be playing them and won't buy anything new until ED fixes clouds and work overall on the aliasing issues present in the game. If I need eye candy in the sky I go to IL-2 FC, they have a beautiful sky and WW1 planes are perfect for them 🙂

Thank you for your input, I believe all we can do ATM is waiting for a new graphic engine. It seems unlikely at this point ED is working on improving things for their old engine. Hope I'm wrong though.

36 минут назад, pixie сказал:

Thank you for your input, I believe all we can do ATM is waiting for a new graphic engine. It seems unlikely at this point ED is working on improving things for their old engine. Hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah I'm sure they are working both on new engine and weather system, hope they'll include some modern AA techniques in it too so we can finally put MSAA to rest. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to fly the Apache which I preordered as soon as it became available. But still having great fun with FC3, a10c and Ka-50 in 2.5.6, so the sim is not dead for me for sure, there is still hope 🙂

Despite the cloud issue, and the VR memory leaks that plagues my Quest 2 sessions, DCS is still a dream come true for me.

I know dev are working on this new engine, and VR is not an option in the foreseeable future. This is all I need to know.

1 час назад, pixie сказал:

Despite the cloud issue, and the VR memory leaks that plagues my Quest 2 sessions, DCS is still a dream come true for me.

I know dev are working on this new engine, and VR is not an option in the foreseeable future. This is all I need to know.

Yep, unpredictable stuttering was an issue for me on rtx3070, upgrading to 3080ti solved that.. apparently 8 GB VRAM is too low for DCS with Quest 2, especially with high terrain textures. Switching terrain textures to low fixed that for 3070 too, also simplified spotting a bit 🙂

Hope some day they'll implement softening filter for the terrain near horizon like in IL-2, it's really great for spotting, gets rid of terrain shimmering and feels natural.

28 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

Yep, unpredictable stuttering was an issue for me on rtx3070, upgrading to 3080ti solved that.. apparently 8 GB VRAM is too low for DCS with Quest 2, especially with high terrain textures. Switching terrain textures to low fixed that for 3070 too, also simplified spotting a bit 🙂

Hope some day they'll implement softening filter for the terrain near horizon like in IL-2, it's really great for spotting, gets rid of terrain shimmering and feels natural.

I have difficulties convincing myself to switch to low terrain texture. I guess I should try. 

23 минуты назад, pixie сказал:

I have difficulties convincing myself to switch to low terrain texture. I guess I should try. 

Get Bartek textures for Caucasus, they are pretty good even on low. They combine great with Taz1004 dark trees, I use low poly ones. Actually low terrain textures are not that bad, they just look different but they don't really break immersion of flying.. I got used to them in a day or two and they never bothered me, especially compared to clouds. Maybe for helicopters it's more important to get higher terrain textures though. Even now if with 3080ti switching to low would bring me GPU time I'd likely do that, but they either work or not, like basically all textures in games. So now I'm looking at some new texture details with high, which makes spotting a bit more tricky sometimes and actually increases shimmering perception a bit, but at the same time I can get some landmarks that I couldn't get with low textures before.

Edited by Fiztex

I have switched terrain texture to low, and so far so good, no more stuttering with the Quest 2 VR.

It really seems to ease up on the GPU memory. Thx for the tip.

And btw, if I don't compare side by side high and low terrain texture, I very much doubt i can tell the difference

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, Fiztex said:

Totally agree, had a 3070, and now a 3080 12GB. Fixed a lot of issues. Totally happy now with my Quest 2 and DCS. 

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

09.02.2022 в 02:22, pixie сказал:

I have switched terrain texture to low, and so far so good, no more stuttering with the Quest 2 VR.

It really seems to ease up on the GPU memory. Thx for the tip.

And btw, if I don't compare side by side high and low terrain texture, I very much doubt i can tell the difference

I found it most obvious in Nevada, but it's indeed very much depends on the terrain you use. Low doesn't necessarily mean bad in his case for sure.

Glad it helped, enjoy the flying 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

A few months have passed and still no solution for terrible shimmering of clouds in VR? I tried DCS today and all I can say besides optimization - the clouds in VR are broken so bad that I don't want to play this game. Is is nearly playable only if you turn clouds off...  Why nobody cares about it after so long time till now!? I think Il2 Sturmovik use the same cloud technology and there clouds look great in VR. What has happened here?    

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

A few months have passed and still no solution for terrible shimmering of clouds in VR? I tried DCS today and all I can say besides optimization - the clouds in VR are broken so bad that I don't want to play this game. Is is nearly playable only if you turn clouds off...  Why nobody cares about it after so long time till now!? I think Il2 Sturmovik use the same cloud technology and there clouds look great in VR. What has happened here?    
Yup better than they originally were, however on the horizon line they shimmer badly. The lighting also has a direct impact on the degree of shimmer.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Lighting and the terrain. Over the sea shimmering is also much worse.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Will be happy when 2.7 is replaced by vulkan .

WWII DCS VR is pretty bad .

My cockpit is nice and clear but outside view is a blurry mess with big black dots flying around ?? . 

Has anyone got nice clear graphics outside of cockpit. 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

1 hour ago, KoN said:

My cockpit is nice and clear but outside view is a blurry mess with big black dots flying around ?? .

AFAIK, the bug you describe was squashed a while ago. What is your DCS version number?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

AFAIK, the bug you describe was squashed a while ago. What is your DCS version number?

latest openbeta . Always up to date as i fly online . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Vr experience is getting worse and worse since 2.5 version... maybe vulcan can do something, but they don't share a lot of info about how it goes. If not this sim is over for me despite a lot of modules I own.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

@KoN Can you please make a movie clip to show us the spinning black dots (filmed with your mobile phone, for instance), and a short track showng the issue?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I agree i think with 2.7 things have become worst .

The multiplayer side of things as gone backwards Now you need 32GB of ram . Some thing not right with lighting and shading . 

2.7 has put big strain on computer systems . All of 8GB Vram is totally used up for no gain in visuals . Not in VR .  

Contacts disappear if you zoom in and out its all very strange I've flown in real life and I've never seen Contact's just vanish , not unless its UFO. 

I've stopped buying into WWII .

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

@KoN Can you please make a movie clip to show us the spinning black dots (filmed with your mobile phone, for instance), and a short track showng the issue?

The Big black dots are enemy aircraft . Cant identify until at least 100m of its tail . In VR . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .