Beginner Missions

I am opening this topic for discussion.

I feel the need for much more easier missions for beginners.

Although I am part of this party since 4.5 years and I own most of the modules and maps, I consider myself a very basic beginner.
Most of the missions that come with DCS modules are impossible for me to fly, as I tend to get shot down within the first 3 minutes or loos my orientation and do not know where to go next.

There should be missions that only require basic flying skills to succeed and still entertain.

I just created a mission for myself flying the Mi-8 in Syria an UN, while US and Russian aircrafts shoot each other out of the sky.

Very entertaining in VR.

The rout that I am suppose to fly is marked with big smoke columns, as the Mi-8 does not feature a moving map and I would never find the target airport.

I never bought any Campaign, as I am sure that I would not even be able to startup the aircraft in the first mission.

I suggest to design a system of difficulty grading that can be used to mark missions with difficulty levels.

e.g.

1- basic flying cabability

2- basic landing capability

3- basic navigation

4- advanced navigation

5- complex flying

6- basic weapon capability

7- advanced weapon capability

Maybe a mission will add points for any capability it needs.

• Like 1

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

23 minutes ago, kunterbunt said:

e.g.

3- basic navigation

4- advanced navigation

Shouldn't these skills be taught on the Training Missions of the aircraft? 

I agree there are some aircrafts that are not very thorough on their training, but these basic skills should be covered on most of them, so there would be no point on marking the missions with them, as one can expect every DCS pilot to have completed their training, after all this is a study Sim 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@Rudel_chw I never go through the training missions. They are too difficult for me and very boring.

After the training missions, I still get shot down all the time, so normal missions are still too difficult.

I would need much more training missions and a much less steeper difficulty level for them.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

@Rudel_chw I never go through the training missions. They are too difficult for me and very boring.
After the training missions, I still get shot down all the time, so normal missions are still too difficult.
I would need much more training missions and a much less steeper difficulty level for them.
Well, I don't mean to be harsh, but if you skip traning because you find it boring, I think you'll have your answer, but I truly believe you will find it rewarding in the end.
The Hip has a training mission for it's navigation systems, and there are many YT videos on it as well. In the Hip you can almost fly blind using it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 6/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, kunterbunt said:

I am opening this topic for discussion.

I feel the need for much more easier missions for beginners.

Although I am part of this party since 4.5 years and I own most of the modules and maps, I consider myself a very basic beginner.
Most of the missions that come with DCS modules are impossible for me to fly, as I tend to get shot down within the first 3 minutes or loos my orientation and do not know where to go next.

There should be missions that only require basic flying skills to succeed and still entertain.

I just created a mission for myself flying the Mi-8 in Syria an UN, while US and Russian aircrafts shoot each other out of the sky.

Very entertaining in VR.

The rout that I am suppose to fly is marked with big smoke columns, as the Mi-8 does not feature a moving map and I would never find the target airport.

I never bought any Campaign, as I am sure that I would not even be able to startup the aircraft in the first mission.

I suggest to design a system of difficulty grading that can be used to mark missions with difficulty levels.

e.g.

3- basic navigation

4- advanced navigation

5- complex flying

7- advanced weapon capability

Maybe a mission will add points for any capability it needs.

As others said I would try training.  You don't have to do ALL the missions (though Id recommend most unless you feel you can skip.  For example i often skip take offs in fixed wing plane training; but always do start up and landing etc. 

You know about Chucks guides right?  If not search and check those out for the airframe youre interested in. I can't recommend those enough and they're gold to have handy for questions as you go

I started doing trainings but if you get shot at exactly the same moment every single time you try the video, it gets frustrating. That is when I gave up.

3 hours ago, kunterbunt said:

I started doing trainings but if you get shot at exactly the same moment every single time you try the video, it gets frustrating. That is when I gave up.

Yes that can be very frustrating.  Ok try this.  Google chucks guides (module you want)

Download the guide.  Read relevant section on thing you have trouble with.  Also YouTube search dcs (airframe) tutorials.    I usually use chucks guide and YouTube tutorials.  Then you can try it in missions. Free flights whatever.  Or if you need you can make a simple mission in the mission maker as well.  I've even seen people come up with good ways to practice say being a RIO in SP.   I'm no mission maker but if you need help ask me I can tell you how to make a simple mission where you go arnd and shoot stuff or dogfight or whatever.  Also do you play MP?  like do you have a headset and srs setup?  Sometimes gttn online and practicing with another person helps.  I could do that if u want help

Edited by sublime

What module?
Which training?
And what video?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

A while back I figured out how to set the second # in the DCS screen resolution slightly lower than the resolution in Windows. This let's me fly DCS while the band across the bottom of my screen is still there. So if I have a problem I pause DCS immediately. Go to the bottom and open my browser to find a youtube tutorial or open Chucks Guide. I find help on my problem, go back to the mission in DCS and un-pause it. Sometimes I will hit L-Shift + R to restart a mission so I can go back and forth between the mission on pause, find my next step or two in my tutorial or guide, back to DCS to do those steps. This is especially helpful when trying to set up a new type weapon. The other day I was trying to add a waypoint so I could use it to bomb a target.

• 1 month later...

I agree there are some aircrafts that are not very thorough on their training, but these basic skills should be covered on most of them, so there would be no point on marking the missions with them, as one can expect every DCS pilot to have completed their training, after all this is a study Sim

I'm no n00b, but have a set of basic flight type Missions I still regularly practice - Landing (OHBs), AAR, Formation Flight, TACAN Nav, Nav using the CDU (I'm an A10C pilot) etc

I think its really, really beneficial to maintain a level of competance...so I think there's definately a place for them -particularly for those Airframes that don't have these missions by default or on ED Files (not everybody loves the Mission Editor!)

• Like 1

Airbag_signatur.png

• 6 months later...

The point is valid, training and missions are hugely overlooked by almost all of the developers.  They are also wildly inconsistent. 

The most comprehensive set of missions/training are the F/A-18C, AV8BNA, A-10C, and the F14 which are all great  All of these are gold standards. 

The KA-50 is pretty good, but the other helos are a joke for the missions they come with, and it looks like the devs did not even try.  The rest of the stock module missions are tepid and mediocre with highlights here and there. 

I would like to see a standard set of mission tasks and training for every module, and also on every map.  This is not too much to ask.  

What I think is missing from the available DLC is a progressive campaign, that starts out simple and reinforces fundamentals.  It should be the basic campaign you get with each module.  But a couple quid on top would be ok too.  you get the idea.  All of the campaigns I have played are for experts. 

What I do is run all of the missions and training, and all of at least the NV campaigns.  I still run into stuff that is over my head.   I make a LOT of missions.  At least straight and pattern landings, gun and unguided bomb targeting, 30 min ILS flight.  I try to do that every day with a module or two that I am flying that week.  If my flight buddies are doing a mission that week, I will mock it up on the NV map and dry run the basic steps of it. 

This is the toughest game I have ever played.  Keep that in mind, yeah the materials are not perfect and regardless it still takes a lot of work. 

Good Hunting!

There are some real gems in the user files, just search, here are a couple I have used.

F15-C

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313014/

A-10A

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315446/

17 minutes ago, dlarsen said:

The most comprehensive set of missions/training are the F/A-18C, AV8BNA, A-10C, and the F14 which are all great  All of these are gold standards. 

I also liked the training of the mirage 2000 and the mig-19 … tough it seems that the ones for the mirage need an update to cater for the latest updates made to the mirage.

17 minutes ago, dlarsen said:

I would like to see a standard set of mission tasks and training for every module, and also on every map.  This is not too much to ask.  

unfortunately you cant easily copy a whole mission from one map onto another, so you are basically asking for double, triple or quad developer work. Only the Mirage has two sets of training (caucasus and nevada) and I have never seen anyone commending the developer for that, maybe that explains why no other developer has imitated them.

I would like that the training for the ww2 birds be set at normandy, as training at a modern caucasus is really odd.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB