Fresh install of DCS 2.7.1 warning Win 8.1 or later needed

I run a fresh installation of DCS World 2.7.1 today and got a warning that Windows 8.1 or later was required. I am running the latest version of Win 10. After many hours waiting for the install to complete I ran the DSCUpdater.exe and got the same message. The splash screen also showed v2.5.6 not 2.7.1. I have been previously using DCS open beta 2.7.1 without problems.

Please attach these files (if you have them):

• \DCS World\autoupdate_log.txt
  • \DCS World OpenBeta\autoupdate_log.txt
  • C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log
  • C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I run the stable download link for 2.7.1 again this morning. It started by reporting that 2.7.1 was available but after updating the updater version (2.11.2.89) again it gave the warning that Win 8.1 was required and reported after a short delay that it had successfully install 2.5.6.61527.3.

There appears to be a problem with the fresh install procedure. It is using 2.5.6 not 2.7.1.

Files attached.

dcs.log dcs beta.log autoupdate_log_old.txt autoupdate_log.txt

Thanks.

Please ensure both your DCS_updater.exe and DCS.exe files do NOT have the Windows Compatibility mode enabled. They are located here : "F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\".

Also remove the "Execute as Administrator" option if it's enabled.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thanks.

Please ensure both your DCS_updater.exe and DCS.exe files do NOT have the Windows Compatibility mode enabled. They are located here : "F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\".

Also remove the "Execute as Administrator" option if it's enabled.

That was the problem. The DCS_updater.exe was set to compatibility mode. Stable 2.7.1 now installing.

I would point out that this is how it downloaded straight from the server yesterday. It was not previously installed or run.

Edited by Scotflieger

I just want to confirm, the 2.7 stable requires 8.1 or higher, however does the 2.7 open beta also require that or does it allow running on Windows 7? Since stability is not a priority for beta and DX11 is used. I'm not in a position to update beyond Windows 7 due to work reasons.

I haven't tested but ED was quite clear about this at the beginning of the year ( source ) :

We will no longer be supporting Windows 7. Users who do not want not to change their operating system can still enjoy DCS World 2.5.6. However, new updates will not be available. In order to attend to your needs more diligently, please download the latest version. 

I think they meant DCS 2.7 only runs on W10.

By the way, W10 is 6 years old already, and Microsoft will officially announce W11 in one week.

Edited by Flappie