Hound - ELINT system for missions bulders

uri_ba

Howdy folks!
Born from the desire to create a realistic SEAD/DEAD mission, I've realized DCS (or any other sim for that matter) is lacking in one of the most crucial elements of the modern battlefield, ELINT.

so I've decided to pick up this glove and do my best.

Introducing Hound ELINT system for DCS.

MP oriented, realism in mind, ELINT system.

it uses allocated assets (Air, ground and static units) to realistically estimate position or active enemy radars.

Available for download in Github

https://github.com/uriba107/DCS-Hound

Current version: 0.3.5

Questions regarding mission building and scripting? Join the Skynet discord Group, Hound has a small section there:

https://discord.gg/pz8wcQs

Hound Feature Highlights:

• MP Oriented
  • Text-To-Speech centered information delivery, using SRS
  • provides both position and positional error estimation for radars
  • physics based location accuracy
  • Compatible with MOOSE, MIST and Skynet

I firmly believe less words is more, if you like words, the readme in the repo is at your services! 🙂

So cinematic introduction Video 🙂

Special thanks to 
@tigair - for Skynet which inspired Hound.

@Grimes- for MIST and the hoggit wiki

@Ciribob - For SRS and supporting changes to the SRS TTS engine that made Hound viable.

Changelog:

v0.3.5 - 23/12/2023

• Bugfix - fix for Scripting engine changes in DCS 2.9.1
  • Bugfix - Better Readme thanks to @Apple

v0.3.4 - 24/5/2023

• New - Added support for CurrentHill Millsim units
  • New - support to SA map naval assets
  • New - Added support for multiple units as platforms
    • CJS EF-18G
    • prccowboy's Tu-214R
    • prccowboy's P-8A
    • Military Aircraft Mod P-3C
  • New - Added DCS radars added since Hound 0.3.3
  • New - Refactored DB to separate DCS units from community modssupport to SA map naval assets
  • New - Added per instance DCS callsign override (thanks @apollonaut for suggesting)
  • New (Experimental) - Added support for DCS-gRPC TTS
  • Bugfix - Fixed radar position calculation when only two static platforms detect the radar (thanks @SkyPirate17 for reporting)
  • Bugfix - Fixed PreBriefed radars being dropped from tracking
  • Bugfix - updated Demo missions to work on DCS 2.8.x

v0.3.3 - 31/8/2022

• Feature - support to SA map naval assets
  • Bugfix - fix SE crash related to dead unit handling (thanks @RexAttaque)
  • Bugfix - fixed typo related to HighDigitsSam unit (Thanks @Bones1775)

v0.3.0 - 12/6/2022
Some refactoring was required.

• Feature - Refactoring of all subclasses. Hound is now mostly in one (giant) table
    NOTE: Main effect of this change is that HoundEventHandler is not called HOUND.EventHandler please make sure to update your scripts
  • Feature - New method of managing dead units. This allows Group.destroy() function to be called for decluttering the mission.
  • New - Added support for Secret Squirrel Studios SPECIAL MISSION AIRCRAFT and Operator's AI Mod (RC-135W and EC-130)
  • New - Added support for the upcoming Aerges Mirage F1 module.
    NOTE: This does not mean that the Mirage F1 module will have native ELINT capabilities. Aerges did not provide any information on this subject!
    However, they were kind enough to provide the information required to add the modules to Hound. Note that the F1.CE is not ELINT capable IRL, but was added for the duration until EE and M variants are shipped.
  • New - MGRS default was changed to 10 digits
  • New - BDA settings only effects dead contact detection.
  • New - Mission builders can now mark radar as dead. this will trigger death notification regardless of BDA settings.
  • bugfix - PreBriefed contacts will no longer trigger new contact alert when configured before hound is initiated
  • bugfix - more CPU friendly default detection intervals
  • bugix - C-17 is RC-135 stand-in. Tuned platfrom parameters to reflect that
  • Bugfix - Better comm checkout handling when player disconnects.

v0.2.2 - 22/3/2022
some feature creep was observed 🙂

• Feature - Position estimation algorithm was replaced
  • Feature - Datapoints management, should improve performance and responsiveness to moving radars 
  • Feature - Added Option to force Hound to track markers ID using internal counter (rather then using MIST/MOOSE)
  • Feature - export to csv functionality
  • New - Added C-47 as platform
  • New - AH-64D added with correct LAT/LON format
  • New - Tuning system intervals and allowing user to fine tune them
  • New - Internal Refactoring and grouping of functions in HoundUtils class.
  • Bugfix -  E-2 was not a valid platform
  • Docs - Updated to reflect new features, added some tips for performance tuning

v0.2.1 - 7/1/2022

• Bugfix - Triangulation of radar with only two static receivers now works as expected.
  • Bugfix - Fix script crash when trying to get ships radar detection range.
  • Bugfix - Fix script crash caused by destruction of a radar that had been detected but not yet triangulated.
  • Feature - H-6J and JF-17 has been added as a valid platforms (JF-17 should be carrying SPJ) - thank you @foogle.
  • Docs - Updated some typos and inaccuracies in README (Thanks @hbjonsson)

Thank you @Toumal for finding these bugs.

v0.2.0 - 4/12/2021

This first Major Hound update which required a massive rewrite of code.

• Reworked comms system.
    • 3 Communication Entities available.
      • Controller - Interactive on-demand Targeting information and automatic High priority alerts (pop-up and destruction)
      • ATIS - Automated Threat Information System, Automatic broadcast of general information on all relevant threats
      • Notifier (New!) - High priority alerts only. Pop-up or Destruction. Intended for alerting on non-SEAD channels
    • New! Hound now Support for multiple Sectors with optional Geo-fencing. Each sector can contain all (or some of the communication options)
    • Reworked Comms Menu interaction
      • Less text message clutter
      • Correct Lat/Lon format for each Aircraft
  • New! Event Handler. Allows mission builders to trigger custom scripts on Hound events.
  • New! Allow adding "Pre Briefed" radars into the system. (for sites you give your users the actual position anyway)
  • Fine tuned parameters and added HTS equipped F-16s as platforms. (not that due to DCS limitation, pod presence is not checked)
  • Many Many more customizable settings for mission Builders.

v0.1.2 - 23/7/2021

•  Better location accuracy
  • Updated Radars list with radars introduced with DCS 2.7.3 & 2.7.4
  • Added support for "SAM asset pack" mod
  • Uncertainty ellipse now supports more display option (Thanks to @davidp57)
  • Hound Instance can now be created with coalition so it will start correctly without assigned platforms.
  • Multiple bugs squashed

v0.1.1 - 28/6/2021

• Multiple bugfixes
  • Added Support to Anubis' C-130 and VSN EA-6B

Mission Editor Tutorial

Grimes

Grimes

Edited by uri_ba
new version
  • Thanks 14

Looks extra-cool ; I'll certainly integrate this with our dynamic mission framework very soon.

Btw I like what you done with STTS and your `HoundCommsManager` object ; I wrote some code that had the same features but not your object's level of professionalism, so if you don't mind I'll start using it in my scripts.

• Thanks 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

13 minutes ago, davidp57 said:

Looks extra-cool ; I'll certainly integrate this with our dynamic mission framework very soon.

Btw I like what you done with STTS and your `HoundCommsManager` object ; I wrote some code that had the same features but not your object's level of professionalism, so if you don't mind I'll start using it in my scripts.

I will be happy to hear what you guys think after the first flight with it 🙂

and feel free to borrow whatever bits you need 🙂

Wow! Thanks @uri_ba, this looks great 😲

• Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome !

I've also integrated Hound Elint to the VEAF scripts, if anyone wants to try.

Next iteration will add a radio menu that human pilots will be able to use to take / leave the ELINT role.

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

You'll be most welcome to "steal" it, although it'll probably be quite easy from Hound Elint point of view, and heavily linked to my VEAF library on the radio side...

8 hours ago, nighthawk2174 said:

How does DCS make the red circles seen in the demo video?  Didn't realize DCS could do that.

Hi, it's a fairly new function. You have lines, circles, arrows and quads. (And it's red because it was blue coalition system. The other side will have blue circles ;))

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_func_markupToAll

2 minutes ago, nighthawk2174 said:

Could be interesting if you could make the circle say green if the radar is silent, if that's possible ofc.

That's actually possible. not sure I'll implement it exactly like this. but an awesome Idea! Thanks!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

A new version of Hound is in it's final stages of testing.

I have a Demo mission running on my server for everyone interested in checking the system out.

Server name is "108vfs dedicated", mission details are in the briefing.

Have fun! If nothing "interesting" happens. This version will be released sometime next week.

For any questions feel free to ping (here or on the project discord)

Edited by uri_ba

• 1 month later...

Noticed the SA-5 Radar wasn't listed, so I add it. Unfortunately, the script failed afterwards though. They aren't referenced again, so I can't think why...?

['RPC_5N62V'] = {
            ['Name'] = "Square Pair",
            ['Assigned'] = "SA-5",
            ['Role'] = "TR",
            ['Band'] = 'H' 
        }

On 12/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, Ozone1 said:

Noticed the SA-5 Radar wasn't listed, so I add it. Unfortunately, the script failed afterwards though. They aren't referenced again, so I can't think why...?

['RPC_5N62V'] = {
            ['Name'] = "Square Pair",
            ['Assigned'] = "SA-5",
            ['Role'] = "TR",
            ['Band'] = 'H' 
        }

Thanks! I've added SA-5 support in one of the hotfixes for 0.1.2 you can look at the releases page in github for the correct 0.1.2.2 link.

Regardless, 0.2.0 was released today and Added tons of new features (in addition to SA-5 support 😉).. So check it out!

https://github.com/uriba107/DCS-Hound/releases/tag/v0.2.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uri_ba said:

Thanks! I've added SA-5 support in one of the hotfixes for 0.1.2 you can look at the releases page in github for the correct 0.1.2.2 link.

Regardless, 0.2.0 was released today and Added tons of new features (in addition to SA-5 support 😉).. So check it out!

https://github.com/uriba107/DCS-Hound/releases/tag/v0.2.0

Awesome! Thanks for this btw. Very cool script! 

On 6/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, uri_ba said:

• Fine tuned parameters and added HTS equipped F-16s as platforms. (not that due to DCS limitation, pod presence is not checked)

Any chance of adding the JF-17 as a donor to the system? The SPJ provides accurate azimuth and slant ranging to an emitter, very much like the HTS.

13 hours ago, Foogle said:

Any chance of adding the JF-17 as a donor to the system? The SPJ provides accurate azimuth and slant ranging to an emitter, very much like the HTS.

Hi Foogle.
I'm looking into it. according the docs I can find, put does not have any ELINT capability. but the ranging function in the Jet suggests otherwise.
not sure if it's Deka being over enthusiastic or it's a feature I've yet to find documentation for.

Regardless I'll add it to my local development version soon and Hopfully I'll add it to the next bugfix version (whenever that will be).

I'll also be adding the H-6J.
Not sure if this specific Chinese variant is ELINT capable, But other Tu-16 variants are equipped with the Fantasmagoria pod (same as the Su-25T) and were used in Naval ELINT capacity.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Is there any way to find out why ELINT won't discover any SAM sites? In my server logs I can see this if I set debug to true:

2022-01-04 16:15:28.192 INFO    SCRIPTING: [Hound](T) - 5202: default has 5 Contacts
2022-01-04 16:15:30.970 INFO    SCRIPTING: [Hound](T) - 5202: default has 9 Contacts

I'm just using default zones for both sides - is that a problem? I got some comms towers about 5-10 grid squares away, as well as AWACS for both sides.

It seems that I've found the debugger flag 🙂 great!

Hound needs a couple of data points to locate a radar. so if you only have one platform, and the radar was on only briefly, system may not have a fix on it. if you have multiple towers added. and they all have LOS, you should have seen a fix of sorts. system seems to be working as you have a number of contacts detected.

can you post a screen shot of the map view? just so that I can get an idea on what you have placed where? if possible, with the hound map markers. to get a visual on what was detected and where the system things it it.

thanks

This is from the mission editor, the fixed ELINT sites have circles scribbled around them in blue.There's also one AWACS for each side outside this view. All units are spawned dynamically based on capture zones. I have SRS and TTS set up and the "Atis" always says no contacts, on both sides, no matter what.

WTXuf2j.png

The F10 map in the game shows only my circles (they denote the current capture status and are not generated by ELINT). All these zones have SAM sites in them, and as red I would expect at least some of them to be detected. Or are the towers just too far away? They are on hills with LOS down to most of the bases in that area.

H6BT5hz.png