rudder pedals animation

bbrz

Noticed that the rudder pedals are not only moving forward and aft as they should, but they are turning to the left & right too when applying rudder.

Although the maximum travel is only 1/2 inch AFAIK.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is definitely the wrong animation. It looks like they have it pivoting in the middle. The pedals actually travel fore and aft on rails.

• Like 1

System Specs: Virpil WarBRD Base, Virpil Mongoose T-50CM stick w/Virpil desk mount, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/Virpil desk mount, MFG Crosswind RP, TrackIR 5, Stream Deck 32, Windows 11 Home 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3600, Asus X570 TUF Gaming Pro WiFi MoBo, XFX RX 6800 XT Merc 319, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 2TB WD Blue HDD 5400rpm, 1TB WD Black 750 NVMe M.2 SSD, No Optical drive, Onboard Audio + Avid Eleven Rack Audio Interface.

• 1 year later...

AFAIK it works like that on real plane, but i think it has less travel as it uses pressure sensors

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

You are correct. I've reported this bug right after the initial release. 

But as 5ephir0th pointed out, the actual range of movement is only very small IRL due to the pressure sensors. (similar to the sidestick)  

Edited by bbrz

that is not how the RL pedals work

17 hours ago, roby14 said:

The pedals should move parallel, and not transversely like those of the primitive historical aircraft, which had a bar and a central pivot. To get an idea, see video.

I think it is a 3D modeling error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ysrsX2dEA

Min. 3:00

232825054_1.thumb.jpg.bb04f81335f8e1cbec3eaab167e8086d.jpg

rudder.jpg

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yes for the concept of mechanical dynamics, all are like that so from the modern rudders, from the BF109 to the machines of today, then if we want to absolve the toy then, let's cover the moon with the thumb

Rudder pedals.jpg

According to the 1F-16CG-2-27GS-00-1 15 January 2009, page 1-31, paragraph 1.3.6. It takes 110lbs to fully deflect rudder pedals.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Looking at the photos mvgas and you posted, it seems that the general movement is correct in the DCS version, it's just that the travel is approx 99% too large.

I don't see where these pedals could move parallel?!?

• Like 1

These DIY pedals have a completely different mechanics. (parallelogram). Did you compare them with the original pedal photos?

Looks like on the real aircraft it's a simple straight bar between the pedals with the pivot point at the center.

If I understand the diagram mvgas posted correctly, the 45° is about the brakes motion, not the rudder movement.

Edited by bbrz
  • Like 1

Brakes or rudder, the angle in the F16 is minimal, since it has a digital system like the stick. However, the topic in question was the incorrect animation of DCS, even Falcon4 has minimal but it is closer to DIY pedals

The pedals I have been au fait with were all push/pull, not swing on a pivot.

There is no reason to have a swinging rudder bar in the confines of a cockpit.

On ground handling wise, independent brake operation on a swinging bar would be awkward at best.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I am afraid that you are absolutely trying to mislead the subject, the theme is always the 3D of the DCS F16 which is wrong.
I have the trial version, and after all it's for this, to evaluate and maybe then to buy.

That's all, thank for evreybody

bye, ciao  Roby14

ps:  after period expired I will not buy it,

next for me Mirage 2000, superbe avion! 😊

3 hours ago, roby14 said:

I am afraid that you are absolutely trying to mislead the subject, the theme is always the 3D of the DCS F16 which is wrong.

What? Simply compare the pictures in more detail and you will notice that your assumption is wrong. Again, IRL the pedals almost don't move for rudder movement.

The way too large movement is the bug in the DCS F-16, not the direction of motion.

I agree that this WWI biplane like movement looks very bad and IRL you couldn't even apply the brakes with the pedals deflected.

I don't know why ED still hasn't fixed this issue, especially since it's obviously a quick and easy fix.

Edited by bbrz
  • Like 1

Sorry if I return to reiterate, your arguments are a little contradictory, you say that I should look better, but the screens I posted clearly show that they make an excessive run like a cart. You said “The way too large movement is the bug in the DCS F-16, not the direction of motion”. But I've always talked about 3D graphics, the steering functions are good on the track, but for the mechanics that you see under your feet, I have doubts, until I don't see the real systems, of the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon. Soonest I be able to tell you better, a friend of mine, formerly of the Italian Air Force, he promised to introduce me to a real F16 pilot, so we will finally know.

The discussions, are always good to make better.😄

Hi, ciao Roby😉

For the series, to be continued soonest at these screens

Edited by roby14

roby14, mvsgas has posted a picture of the REAL F-16 pedal assembly.     You can CLEARLY see its a pivoting mechanism.

The pictures you have posted have nothing to do with the REAL F-16 pedal assembly.

The animation in DCS is correct, apart from the already stated range of motion inaccuracy.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...