JDAM feature questions?

Furiz
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

When you're setting up pre planned steerpoints on top of targets how far apart can you place the targets before you can't immediately change the steerpoint pickle change pickle change etc.
In the GR video he has three targets close together and immediately pickles each jdam one after each other. These targets are close together though.

How far apart before you would have to wait to pickle on the next steerpoint/target?

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

When you're setting up pre planned steerpoints on top of targets how far apart can you place the targets before you can't immediately change the steerpoint pickle change pickle change etc.
In the GR video he has three targets close together and immediately pickles each jdam one after each other. These targets are close together though.

How far apart before you would have to wait to pickle on the next steerpoint/target?

As long as you are in the LAR it's fine. You can make some charts based on trial and error for certain altitudes and .9 mach and 90 degree impact angle to see about where the LAR is.

Then use those in your planning. As long as all targets are within that range from your aircraft when you start your attack, you can drop, switch, drop, switch, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

As long as you are in the LAR it's fine. You can make some charts based on trial and error for certain altitudes and .9 mach and 90 degree impact angle to see about where the LAR is.

Then use those in your planning. As long as all targets are within that range from your aircraft when you start your attack, you can drop, switch, drop, switch, etc.

Can we see if each steerpoint/target/spi is in the LAR before we employ?

Yes, but it's better to have your own set of data than trust the DLZ in the jet. Especially if it's a pre-planned deal where you have time to figure that out.

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

4 hours ago, HR-Crumble said:

No, there is no provision in the F-16 to calculate the overlap of multiple LAR within the airplane itself. This would all be done in front of a PC with planning software on the ground. Then you could make sure your LARs overlapped, program in a unified launch point, etc. The same goes for lofting and pop up maneuvers.

You can cycle through them to make sure before release and check the LAR of each one. But yes, you would want to do that ahead of time and have a range in mind for your parameters. Jdam attack cards have a slot for that range information based on release parameters.

Much better to know that you can drop at 7nm at 25k feet and .9 mach, and still stay outside of a MEZ. Not as fun to try and figure that out using the DLZ in the jet.

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

On 6/13/2021 at 6:37 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

You can also set SPI with the TGP, HUD, and later AG radar. 

No, SPI is set on the HUD per the symbology. TGP is not SOI, so not yet slaved to the SPI. 

How can I slew the TGP in the Viper to SPI, let's say defined by hud or a maverick? Kinda like how the a10 works. 

If we had a mission planner and DTC capability, we could just create empty steerpoints at target positions, then as we're dropping bombs, just cycle through the steerpoints, allowing you send a JDAM to each target in quick succession.

And the F-16CM has plenty of open steerpoints available, which you can use for targets (steerpoints 81 to 99 at least).

I did a more detailed post about the F-16s DTC here (mostly going off of that other F-16 sim).

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 6/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, llOPPOTATOll said:

It goes off of SPI, did you initiate a point track or area track with the tgp?

Pretty sure I did a point track. So if I have a steerpoint in the general location of a building I want to hit, and use the targeting pod to target the building which is say a couple hundred feet away from the steerpoint, whats SPI and how do I know? 

• Like 1

SPI is system point of interest. In the F-16 it's almost always a point defined by the sensor you have selected (HUD, radar, TGP, etc.). You don't really know except you can see the result. If you are going to bomb CCRP where the target aiming is is SPI (or SPI plus offset if OAP).

Noticed that JDAM alignement is not aligning if you switch off the inventory page or AG mode, or switch to Nav mode etc... you have to stay on that page for it to align, is that correct?

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 12:42 AM, TheBigTatanka said:

You can cycle through them to make sure before release and check the LAR of each one. But yes, you would want to do that ahead of time and have a range in mind for your parameters. Jdam attack cards have a slot for that range information based on release parameters.

Much better to know that you can drop at 7nm at 25k feet and .9 mach, and still stay outside of a MEZ. Not as fun to try and figure that out using the DLZ in the jet.

Can you please describe the acronyms you are using? I'm familiar with DLZ (Dynamic Launch Zone), but am not familiar with LAR or MEZ.  Been racking my brain all morning trying to figure it out.  Also, are these JDAM attack cards something available we can use?

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

5 minutes ago, durka-durka said:

Can you please describe the acronyms you are using? I'm familiar with DLZ (Dynamic Launch Zone), but am not familiar with LAR or MEZ.  Been racking my brain all morning trying to figure it out.  Also, are these JDAM attack cards something available we can use?

Those should be

LAR = Launch Acceptability Region

MEZ = Military Exclusion Zone

18 minutes ago, Furiz said:

Those should be

LAR = Launch Acceptability Region

MEZ = Military Exclusion Zone

Close.  MEZ = Missile Engagement Zone in this context

Edited by Speedywrx
  • Like 3

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD