F-14B - Lost Jester menu - does not display on screen

stoop

I don't know what I messed up or changed but I have always had one button on my throttle that brings up the Jester on screen menu, and in my setup I can see it bound under Toggle Menu, with Keyboard 'A' and then my binding.

Now when I hot the A or my throttle binding button I can hear the audio change like we are ready to speak to Jester but the onscreen menu does not come up for me to choose the command I want to give him.

Anyone know the fix?

Have you installed AIRIO or VAICOM? Both are known to cause this.

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I have the same problem. No AIRIO or VIACOM installed.

Ok so I reinstalled F14. Went right into instant action dogfight and menu works. Then loaded a mission made. Menu didnt work. Tried Instant action dogfight again, menu didnt work

Edited by chief

dcs.log

This is getting really weird. The menu just randomly works or doesnt. I thought it might be popping up on my external monitors and hidden somewhere on them so I unplugged them and menu still not appearing. I did a full repair (long) and then loaded DCS...instant action...dogfight and it works. Then shot down the SU27 and then FLY AGAIN then the menu didnt work. So frustrating.

What key/button do you use for the Jester menu? You use a lot of devices. Maybe look for some modifier (toggle switch) in controls that you use during the dogfight which then prevents it from working?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I'm just trying to help and exclusion method is a good one to narrow down the issue source. Does the A key still work in controls window when not working in game? Try closing any external apps for your control devices like TARGET, Logitech/Saitec, vjoy, whatever...

It's not even the same problem as OP.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Ok I just made a quick video of me doing a bunch of mission starts,etc. If somehow I can send it to you, you will see what I mean. Some the Jester menu pops up, others they dont. But its a 338 MB video. How can i send that to ya?

I can get on discord, or something, and stream it to you if thats easiest

Edited by chief

So for giggles I installed the vaicom AIRIO. I get the on screen messages popping up in game (eg scan range) but jester doesnt do anything. So for some reason jester isnt being loaded into game for me. What on earth would cause this?

13 hours ago, chief said:

So for giggles I installed the vaicom AIRIO. I get the on screen messages popping up in game (eg scan range) but jester doesnt do anything. So for some reason jester isnt being loaded into game for me. What on earth would cause this?

Some kind of mod, or faulty install. Did you try running a repair? You may have accidentally deleted some Jester-related folders? Or a mod did that?

If a repair does not work, uninstall the F-14. Go into your main install coremods and mods aircraft folders and delete any F14 folders that may be left there. Go into your saved games and the config folder, backup your input folder and delete it. Reinstall the F-14. Do not change any of the controls, spawn in a Jet and press A. See if the menu pops up.

Hope you find the culprit soon, it is definitely a very odd case.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

tried running a deep repair twice, uninstalled and reinstalled the 14 3X. It would make sense if jester NEVER worked but thats not the case. For the last 3 days I have been researching as to why this is happening. No one on the server has a clue either. But I will try doing your last suggestion. Standby the results. Thx

Ok MAY be starting to get somewhere. I did what you suggested and heres the errors I am not getting when I load Instant Action/Dogfight. I get the first attached pic then when I click ok the second one pops up. I am once again going to try and run an in depth repair

F14.png

f14a.png

Edited by chief

Ok the repair sorta worked. Loaded a few quick missions and the first two worked and thought i was on a roll then the third and fourth they didnt work. I am gonna tear my hair out me thinks

I wonder if its something in the .lua. I have this issue with DCS that my mouse axis doesnt work in combined arms when I jump in a unit. I have to go into a default.lua and remove the "-" comment in the LUA every time I update DCS. Now I am wondering if the same type of problem exists with the F14 for me but I wouldnt know where to look. Just a thought.

Lua.png

Edited by chief

Ok I think it IS something in the Config menu. I am narrowing it down and I'll report back.

It was something in the options.lua. I am not sure what it is caused it but at this time I dont care lol

Edited by chief