DCS UH-60 Blackhawk mod

I normally don't do mods, but this one I had to try and I love it!

(cockpit and external textures could use some wear, but that just a personal taste thing I guess)

One question though... I didn't find anything on this after using the forum search function, but is anyone else having issues with the radio communications key "\"?

Mine doesn't seem to be working properly... I was able to use it once, but now the radio menu doesn't appear anymore.

I double checked my HOTAS bind settings for errors and I also tried by just pressing "\" on my keyboard, but the menu won't show....

Anyone any ideas?

(fwiw: Although I do have VAICOM, I didn't start it, so no possible interference with that)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

20 hours ago, shagrat said:

Well, then it's simple. If you can't be bothered, don't bother...

Why should someone waste time on writing it all down, if you may not try it anyway? Instead we could spend that time much better doing some flying... Why is your time more precious then other people's? 😉

WTF, dude. Are you the question police?

This is a "forum". His request for feedback/opinion from other players was no different than thousands of other posts here.

30 minutes ago, CBYZ said:

Amazing, isn't it?🤣

Screen_220123_003736.png

Can't read which units, but it seems high...

Yeah, well, it's a mod..

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 hours ago, sirrah said:

is anyone else having issues with the radio communications key "\"?

Yeah, once the heli is airborne, it doesn't work anymore. You have to enable Easy Comms, either globally in DCS, or force it "On" in missions that include the Black Hawk.

4 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Yeah, once the heli is airborne, it doesn't work anymore. You have to enable Easy Comms, either globally in DCS, or force it "On" in missions that include the Black Hawk.

Ah ok, at least it's not me then 😅 

Hopefully it gets fixed at some point

System specs:

I think it has been reported that in the F2 view, there is no way to rotate left and right.

I also find that upon the leaving the ground, the helicopter drifts to the right.

Then if I land too "hard", the Engine 1 would be dead but I cannot find where this is indicated in the cockpit.

Thanks.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb sirrah:

Can't read which units, but it seems high...

Yeah, well, it's a mod..

Oh, that was a bug in the Huey, as well, for quite some years... I have more issues with the excessive speed, but it's basically what is early access and I am very happy with what we have so far. 🥳

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

My biggest problem with this, is getting the damn thing to fly slowly, or slow down. It seems like a rocket ship getting to about 130/155, but trying to get it to slow down, well, put it this way, I have not landed yet without a 'Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly' (SpaceX Term for blowing up)

Any advice appreciated

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

Am 21.1.2022 um 20:08 schrieb Toni Carrera:

Hi @shagrat

FTR seems to have been the issue. Tried what you suggested and it worked for me. My take off and flight was a lot more successful., thank you

I just need to muscle memory pressing it as required. One question, is there an obvious light or something in front eye sight to show when the FTR is depressed etc?

Again, my thanks

Toni

No, nothing like an indicator or light. You must remember to hold FTR and release it after you have  stable course and attitude. My biggest issue is, when I accidentally "wobble" the button, as I don't concentrate and it is recognized as multiple presses, quickly changing the center. That's where you need "Trim reset" to adjust the trim back to the physical center. This "trim reset" is a DCS thing, the trim / FTR in the real aircraft doesn't move the physical center, but keeps the stick and counterforces at the "new" position of the stick after trimming. Basically it has no spring that enforces a center when the stick is upright, but "creates" a center at the current stick position when you release the FTR... Hope that is understandable. 😎

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Wish: a binding to "Stablisation On/Off" I find turning the stabilisation off is essential to successful hovering.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, Toni Carrera said:

My biggest problem with this, is getting the damn thing to fly slowly, or slow down. It seems like a rocket ship getting to about 130/155, but trying to get it to slow down, well, put it this way, I have not landed yet without a 'Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly' (SpaceX Term for blowing up)

Any advice appreciated

Toni

Well, perhaps it is because I've been flying the Hind a lot.. and I mean "A LOT!", but I don't have any issues getting this Blackhawk from full speed to hover.

It probably comes down to practice practice practice, but if there's any advice I can give you:

Don't try too hard to get your speed down in straight flight. Throw that baby in a tight turn and speed will bleed out extremely fast. The hardest part is to find the sweet spot between bleeding out that last bit of forward airspeed and getting into VRS. Not sure if VRS is simulated in this mod (didn't yet enter VRS myself with this mod), but in the Hind it sure is 😉

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

4 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

I also find that upon the leaving the ground, the helicopter drifts to the right.

That sounds perfectly normal and to be expected. Is this your first helicopter in DCS?

If the drift is unusually strong, a track would be helpful.

14 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Not sure if VRS is simulated in this mod

Oh it is, most definitely! 😄

It seems to me that there is very little warning between the onset of VRS, and a full-blown powered descent in the chopper's own downwash. It feels almost binary, unlike the Huey, where we get a pretty decent indication of approaching VRS. I'm not saying it's not realistic in the Black Hawk mod. Just saying VRS is definitely modeled. 😂

21 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

That sounds perfectly normal and to be expected. Is this your first helicopter in DCS?

If the drift is unusually strong, a track would be helpful.

I am talking about moving sideway to the right, not turning. As I turn off the stabiliser, it goes away. I have done some hovering in Huey, but less successful in Hind. So I guess it is the auto-stabiliser at work.  Thanks.

I am talking about moving sideway to the right, not turning.

Yes, that is to be expected. The tail rotor pushes a lot of air sideways. That will, in turn, not just help the pilot counter the main rotor torque, but will also push the helicopter sideways. With the Black Hawk's counter-clockwise rotating main rotor, the tail rotor must push air to the left, which means the entire helicopter will be pushed to the right. This effect will be stronger the more left pedal you kick, and should be gone with the pedals neutral, but then there's no anti-torque and the helicopter will yaw at a high rate instead, making this a less than ideal test-case. :smartass:

As I turn off the stabiliser, it goes away.

You mean the SAS? Turning it off shouldn't affect the sideways motion. The stability augmentation doesn't change the aerodynamics, it just makes the helicopter easier to control.

I tested this with boost and SAS off (one at a time, and then all together) and found the sideways motion to be pretty much the same as with boost and SAS on, I just needed a lot more cyclic and pedal deflection with the boost off.

You should also find that the Huey behaves the same. The cyclic should be a bit left and aft of center at takeoff, and both helicopters should show this in the controls indicator overlay (RCTL+Enter) once they're in a stable hover.

The Hind, Hip and Gazelle behave the same way, but with their rotors rotating clockwise, just exchange left for right (cyclic position in a hover, power pedal). 😉

So, if you're under the impression that the Black Hawk's sideways motion is stronger than what it should be, a track or a video would be a big help.

Edited by Yurgon

9 hours ago, Yurgon said:

So, if you're under the impression that the Black Hawk's sideways motion is stronger than what it should be, a track or a video would be a big help.

Not my best shots but here we go:

1 hour ago, VFGiPJP said:

Not my best shots but here we go:

Looks like SAS doesn't working. Maybe a bug. Try to startup manually.

• Thanks 1

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

2 hours ago, Devrim said:

Looks like SAS doesn't working. Maybe a bug. Try to startup manually.

Thanks. It may also be problem with other aircraft mods.

I try after the making this vid and if I put the collective at 55% and move the cyclic in smaller motions, it kinda hovers properly. Still way easier than the Hind, given its size and weight.

My major problem now is the chopter always starts moving forward first, even when wheel brake is applied.

Update: did a cold start just now, the bird just went straight up, pure straight up, hovering and stayed there all the time, until of course I did something stupid like trying to land it. 😄

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Thanks. It may also be problem with other aircraft mods.

I try after the making this vid and if I put the collective at 55% and move the cyclic in smaller motions, it kinda hovers properly. Still way easier than the Hind, given its size and weight.

My major problem now is the chopter always starts moving forward first, even when wheel brake is applied.

Update: did a cold start just now, the bird just went straight up, pure straight up, hovering and stayed there all the time, until of course I did something stupid like trying to land it. 😄

Just FYI, your SAS was not turned on in that video.  About to post a VR video below.  Watch the start up procedure I did.  Also, there is a video out there of a real Blackhawk pilot going through startup ect... I will also post this one.  Long video, but well worth paying attention to if you want to fly the helo as accurately as possible until future updates.  I am going to give everything he said in his video a shot later on.  

• Thanks 2

Here was an evening flight around the Marianas simulating a troop pick up at night and AA refueling.  Still having trouble with the mission editor getting easy comms to work on the C-130J.  Works fine in the instant AAR mission.  I must be setting something up wrong.  Already did the instant mission and successfully connected the first time around.  I cannot stress VR enough with DCS world.  Your performance in the Helos will be 100% better immediately.  Also, really digging the Miami Vice sunset in VR.  ED is doing an outstanding job with the clouds.  Again, you dont know the power of the dark side, until you buy VR.  You will not go back afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After I posted that video, I did a cold start as suggested, and it worked. So I made another one on cold start... Thanks.

I only fly in VR, too. If you like flying helo, VR is the absolutely way to go.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Thanks 1

So loving this mod!!!!! I always dream flying any balckhawk in DCS, although  it is just a mod,but i have fallen love with this beauty.

Just a few questions to ask,guys.

1.I set the the ESSS to clean in mission editor, and when it is a AI, it will not have the ESSS,but when i sit in the aircraft, ESSS just appears. I can only call the crew to remove it, is there a bug or something i did wrong?

2.when i land this,i always find she will automaticlly slide into right or left, and stuck to the ground with two wheel and my rotor broke.But during takeoff,it will not have this problem,and no such problem in other heli in dcs, I tried many times but still can`t understand it,it is kind of weird, maybe i did something wrong

The dream of sky

Am 22.1.2022 um 15:19 schrieb Lurker:

Thankfully these types of comments come from a minority in this otherwise great community.

Everyone else who actually replied to my original query thanks for the replies. It means quite a bit to me, thanks guys. 

I wasn't addressing the community, just pointing out, that it is a bit strange to emphasize the value of your personal time while asking others to invest their time in doing a review for you...

Especially, as the UH-60L comes with one of the best install guides and manuals, I've seen for a community mod.

So why you won't just read the manuals 2 pages on the install and setup of the 4-axis (cyclic, pedals, collective), everything else is clickable in cockpit.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Shagrat