Free to Play - WW2 Specific Suggestions

rkk01

Thread for suggestions on what WW2 aircraft to take for a spin…

I know this forum section is only for ED Modules, but as it’s WW2 specific it’s probably the best spot for a broad view across the “fleet”

For me personally, I would be most interested in giving the little I-16 a go, so would welcome any thoughts on the Ishak

The I-16 is the harder warbird to master, IMO, very rewarding though, I really like it. Of course most of that will be taking off and landing, or even just taxiing, while airborne it's not that tough although that will be once you manage to rise the landing gear 😅 . It's a really nice little aircraft.

Aside from that, I don't know if you have any experience in other modules, but all of them are good TBH, Spitfire is great, P-47 either, P-51, or Bf109 and Fw190s, all of them great aeroplanes and modules.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The I-16s landing gear is a complete pain in the arse. I’m sure it’s operation was far more straightforward in rl than it is in the sim.

Other than that it’s an interesting module. It’s just a pity we don’t have any historical contemporaries.

• Like 1

i don't know if i would try the 109D-9 right now, the engine has been bugged, it was my go to warbird. i would suggest looking thru the forums on each warbird to get an idea of the handling of each.

the I-16 is the only one i don't have and thats because it doesn't really have historical counter part in game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mogster said:

The I-16s landing gear is a complete pain in the arse. I’m sure it’s operation was far more straightforward in rl than it is in the sim.

Other than that it’s an interesting module. It’s just a pity we don’t have any historical contemporaries.

Well, yeah, IRL you have all those controls just at your hand to use, though you're flying with left hand for a while 😅 . If you have a Warthog-like HOTAS you're plenty of buttons and switches to map them all, anyway.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Well, yeah, IRL you have all those controls just at your hand to use, though you're flying with left hand for a while 😅 . If you have a Warthog-like HOTAS you're plenty of buttons and switches to map them all, anyway.

S!

Thats it though, in real life the various knobs and wheels are probably quite intuitive to use. Mapped on to random hotas buttons  or using the keyboard it’s incomprehensible. Get it wrong and you have jammed gear, fly too fast while you’re wrestling with the levers, jammed gear… it does my head in. 

22 hours ago, Mogster said:

Thats it though, in real life the various knobs and wheels are probably quite intuitive to use. Mapped on to random hotas buttons  or using the keyboard it’s incomprehensible. Get it wrong and you have jammed gear, fly too fast while you’re wrestling with the levers, jammed gear… it does my head in. 

But that's what is cool about it, you have to learn to use your aircraft properly, no matter how you set your controls. And it's the same in any other aircraft, procedures aren't there for nothing.

S!