Please help me out on upgrading (finding bottleneck) my PC for G2

Scorpion27

Ok, so im totally confused...

Recently I had an opportunity to get my hands on RTX 2080Ti.

Currently my rig is:

MSI Z270 Tomahawk

i5 7600K (overclocked to 4,2GHz)

DDR4 48GB

1TB M2 SSD (with DCS)

RTX 2080Ti

Reverb G2

New GPU was an uprgade form GTX 1080, but I cannot see any big difference with RTX 2080Ti (as I thought it should be).

Im kind of lost...is there a bottleneck in my rig (CPU? MoBo?) I'm feeling I'm not getting most of my new GPU...

THX for any advice.

Get FPSVR and you can see your frame times, what are your current settings in windows, wmr, nvidia, steam, and dcs

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

As I suspect @speed-of-heat is too modest to link to this, I shall. Read all of post 1 and work through it methodically (if you haven't already) it will pay off. Obviously you may need to make some concessions for the 2080ti versus 3090 but the process and approach is still relevant.

• Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

CPU horsepower is holding you back some.

For VR ideally one would like to be around 5 GHz especially with higher res headsets like the Reverb G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OK, thanks.

I got FPSVR and I am getting 30-45 fps on non busy scenarios, CPU is used at 80-90% level as it reports, GPU around same level. Any more eye-candy (right now almost everyting at min settings + PD 1.0 [DCS) and 2100x2100 Steam SS) and I get FPS drop to constant 30. I dont know...feels like that 2080Ti shot was a missed one.

So as far as I know my Mobo has 1151 socket for CPU, so I guess theres one last chance of getting i7 7700 3,6Ghz (?), or maybe you have some other/better options for that MoBo.

I'm guessing that in orter to get new CPU I need to change my MoBo as well. 🥴

what are your frame times... for CPU and GPU ? 

have you got motion smoothing turned on ? is it enabled or forced ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Another way to test for CPU bottleneck is just pause the game in single player and watch if your frames go up.

While on a i7-4770k and a GTX1080 I could pause the game and double my framerate.

I was upgrading my whole computer and tested my new RTX3080 alongside my i7-4770k and saw almost 0 framerate increase overall (compared to using the GTX1080).

Moving it over to my new Ryzen 5900X based system massively increased in performance.

I agree the CPU is key. I have tried the fastest overclocks I can muster out of both the 10900K and 11900K, and that gave me the biggest improvement vs the GPU alone.  It is by no means perfect but very playable.

I would also recommend a simple test: If you reduce all your DCS/SteamVR settings to the minimum(including PD 0.5), do the fps max out at the chosen headset rate?

If it doesn't then that could point to another bottleneck in the system. I experienced this when trying to run DCS with a 3090 external TB3 enclosure.

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

If money isn't a problem consider a HEDT platform (for instance quad channel X299X chipset, LGA2066 socket and 48 pci lane CPU (overclocked as much as safely possible)). DCS really benefits from the doubled RAM bandwidth, especially if such a system is paired with a RTX3090.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Unforunally money IS a factor...

BTW, looking at different CPUs I can see those are around 4.x GHz...so to get 5GHz,  I understand you guys overclock them right?

Also, if the rig is used mainly for DCS (most demanding), is it worth investing in high number of cores?

No on the cores. DCS currently uses 2 threads. Maximize clock speed.

The CPU's have a 'turbo' frequency that is faster than the base clock, sometimes it just says 'up to 5.3GHz' or something like that. With an overclock, one thing you can do is lock the frequency higher than the nominal baserate. For example, I ran my 10900K at 5.4GHz always, and that worked best (for DCS).

This is not a constant though, overclocking strategies vary from CPU to CPU. On the 11900K I found the best strategy was to let it adjust the frequency itself, just up the limit. With 2.7 it runs smooth most of the time on the Index, even online. There are still micro stutters, it's never flawless all the time.

The comment on the HEDT platform is interesting. We use those at work, has anyone actually benchmarked that against the usual maxxed out gaming PC? I would be willing to run a fixed benchmark on mine to compare...always want to know if there is something faster out there!

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

Thank you gents for all advices!

I think its getting clearer right now to me. So.. I'll be aiming for MSI Z590 Mobo ( that should give some room for [hopefully not so near] future CPU upgrade) + i7 10700K (it should get me somewhere in 5GHz region) + liquid cpu cooler. Does it make any sence?

22 minutes ago, Scorpion27 said:

Thank you gents for all advices!

I think its getting clearer right now to me. So.. I'll be aiming for MSI Z590 Mobo ( that should give some room for [hopefully not so near] future CPU upgrade) + i7 10700K (it should get me somewhere in 5GHz region) + liquid cpu cooler. Does it make any sence?

That works well according to many reports. If you want to pay even less, the Ryzen 5600X will give you the same performance with a 120$ mainboard and included stock cooler. That's what I did.

Is that whole amd-motherboard-G2 thing fixed ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

17 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

Is that whole amd-motherboard-G2 thing fixed ?

There were bios updates and I don't see many reports anymore. You probably have to be really unlucky to not get it to work at all. Most people seem to be able to fix it with usb cards if they have a problem with the mainboard. The cable of the Reverb is probably a bigger issue right now. It stops to work for some people with replacements taking a while.

I'm referring to some AMD boards and G2 motion smoothing or reprojection-unsure which , but the last i heard , still problematic .

1 hour ago, RED said:

There were bios updates and I don't see many reports anymore. You probably have to be really unlucky to not get it to work at all. Most people seem to be able to fix it with usb cards if they have a problem with the mainboard. The cable of the Reverb is probably a bigger issue right now. It stops to work for some people with replacements taking a while.

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

18 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

I'm referring to some AMD boards and G2 motion smoothing or reprojection-unsure which , but the last i heard , still problematic .

Copy, never heard of that problem. No issues here.