Grass device - Fuel panel

agrasyuk

Here is a device I really wanted to build for very long time - fuel panel. 
Servo Driven, 0.91" OLED display, Interface via DCS-BIOS

2v2aezAyCxUHnUD.jpg

Hydraulic gauge details

2v2aegPeGxUHnUD.jpg

Front lit

2v2aezHZWxUHnUD.jpg

Front and Backlit

2v2aezHKSxUHnUD.jpg

"Visor" detail

2v2aezHphxUHnUD.jpgFuel Gauge details
2v2aeCtMDxUHnUD.jpg

2v2aeCY3SxUHnUD.jpg

Concentric needles

2v2aeCt8ixUHnUD.jpg

Mechanisms

2v2aegPZnxUHnUD.jpg

panels

2v2aeCtz4xUHnUD.jpg

Backlight test

2v2aeCYUPxUHnUD.jpg

• Like 3

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Very nice! I have to ask how smooth the movement of the pointers is using servoes as it would certainly be interesting to see if it improves on the rather jittery movement of the stepper motors I am currently using. I also like the geared actuation of the fuel quantity gauge, I was thinking that I would have to go that route and seeing it done gives me motivation to go that route.

Cheers

Les

thank you guys.
no1sonuk, yes, this is all laser cut. I am considering getting a SLA printer, would love at some point to get into helical gears but not yet sure where to begin designing these. I've been FlatCAD guy so far.

found good  font for the OLED display and played with DCS-BIOS code for the 3 digits .  I remember there was someone on this board who accomplished animated change of digits sliding up and down to simulate the number wheels. for the life of me I cannot find this thread.

I would really appreciate any assistance with that if anyone can. If not I will settle for normal digit change. 

2v2aZUwg2xUHnUD.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Am 15.6.2021 um 21:46 schrieb agrasyuk:

...  I remember there was someone on this board who accomplished animated change of digits sliding up and down to simulate the number wheels. for the life of me I cannot find this thread.

I would really appreciate any assistance with that if anyone can. If not I will settle for normal digit change. 

Here it is for the altimeter with rolling digits:

and a modified sketch

Regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/18/2021 at 10:06 PM, agrasyuk said:

I appreciate  the offer Les, for now I have all the gears I will need . Eventually  I will learn this subject - I prefer to have a fishing rod instead of giveaway fish as much as I can. I will be asking questions though 🙂

I use Fusion360 for my design work.  You can get a helical gear generator script plugin for it.  I think it was a download from the Autodesk site.
The only problem is that you'll need to 3D print them - you can't use a top-down milling process like a laser cutter.

Edited by No1sonuk

Great work, well done!
I had more success with stepper motors than with servos, the first I found them too noisy even sitting still - but maybe I need to understand them better
For the OLED, my experience is that you should have a dedicated Nano just for one, otherwise you will get issues with whatever is connected there.

Awesome job!

You can use one nano for both fuel quantity servoes / steppers and the fuel quantity oled because the refresh rate does not need to be high, the indication changes slowly. Things like the altimeter, VVI etc can't be on the same nano as the rate of change of those guages needs to be high, and there will be a lot less smooth movement of the gauge and flickering OLED indication, at least in my experience 

Les

For the fuel gauge I use the ready made one from PC Flights, the two servos are connected to a 16bit driver board. The OLED display, I integrated, is at the same I2C bus like the servo board, both at the same NANO. Even when controlled over the RS485 bus (not USB) scrolling speed of the OLED is very fast. But that is only an eye catcher if you push the test button.

Regards, Vinc

Edit: I finally managed to upload a video from the gauge test

Edited by Vinc_Vega
video uploaded

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]