Will the F/A-18C get the VS sub-mode (Velocity Search) for the A/A radar?

enyak

Our Hornet should certainly have it, it's a clearly described in official manuals. But from what I can see from comments from ED, we're probably not getting it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I don't think it's necessary to include VS in order for the Hornet to leave EA but I certainly don't want to see it omitted entirely as it serves a useful function: Detection at range and threat filtering! Even if it wasn't useful I'd like to see a complete representation of the major radar modes in our sim.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to have VS for completeness, but getting RWS, TWS and more importantly MSI to work correctly, is far more important and, IMO, a requirement for Early Access.

• Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Threat filtering is a pretty huge trade off because of the lack of MSI Radar trackfile processing in VS. Best off just looking at the trackfile ranks (also a bit wrong now). Detection range though would be a consideration. It's largely quite useless from what I've heard from real world guys.

That said, it's a quite straightforward mode. I don't care if they don't do it till 2025 but I see no reason to say "never". It IS a Radar mode of the APG-65/73 in the F/A-18 in any given OFP.

It's sort of like modeling the air conditioning fan in the Hind...

Edited by Jak525