Petrovich 5-way hat commands

Fri13

Latest version, added all missing parts, thanks to Bailey to link the ED released quick guide.

This should be a kneeboard size.

Interesting thing is that there is no "Translate backward" when in Hover Transition (purple). Instead you are only offered to perform a 180 degree evasive turn. So you can translate to left/right/forward and give a visual heading turn, but not move backward.

Petrovich commands4_white.jpg

Petrovich commands4_black.jpg

Petrovich Hat Commands BW edition.zip

Petrovich commands.svg

Edited by Fri13
Latest version based to ED quick guide.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Fri13 changed the title to Petrovich 5-way hat commands
There seems to be many short and long left/right for the future when pilot is looking through the sight. Maybe to command Petrovich to perform gun or rocket attacks or some maneuvers? 

1844300464_Petrovichcommands2.thumb.jpg.b5c8f0904dc8eb7269da5e872c9412d3.jpg
Thanks Fri! Gonna print it out and put it next to my screen!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Thanks Fri! Gonna print it out and put it next to my screen! emoji1.png

Before possibly wasting ink, wait that if someone finds some errors or better wording. 

Example I don't know is it better say "IAS Up" or "Speed Up" or something...

Or should the pilot and operator seats be separated by the different sets, instead all joined to one set?

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

Before possibly wasting ink, wait that if someone finds some errors or better wording. 
Example I don't know is it better say "IAS Up" or "Speed Up" or something...
Or should the pilot and operator seats be separated by the different sets, instead all joined to one set?
Good point! Thanks!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, jym said:

Wags' latest video on using Hind ATGMs might give you an idea on how to split up the commands.

I made that from it. 

There is many ways how those can be visually presented, but question is that when it becomes too confusing when you have in reality one hat and you present it as two (operator + pilot) or three (operator + pilot + observation) hats?

Easier is most often such case just have one hat as physical and then separate only the long and short, and separate the modes by colors.

But if someone has better idea... 

Example the wording could be changed that what the Petrovich is to do. 

"Player in operator cockpit" -> "Petrovich is pilot"

"Player in pilot cockpit" -> "Petrovich is operator"

That can make things easier for someone, and more difficult for someone else.

Like I changed the Left Short as "Visual Heading Turn" because you as player are commanding the new heading visually looking at that direction. Something that Wags called "Chevron Icon". 

Wags uses "Command Heading" where I called it "Command Compass Heading Left/Right" as you are telling a specific compass heading to fly, and you select which direction you want to move the virtual HSI to select your wanted compass heading.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eldur said:

Great idea to have such a chart, but with those colors against a white blackground with very little contrast, it's practically illegible.

I have to agree. It's great, but would personally prefer having two (or more) charts - one for Pilot and one for Obs and just have standard black.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eldur said:

Great idea to have such a chart, but with those colors against a white blackground with very little contrast, it's practically illegible.

I had first the MCG Pro as background and f text had shadows, but decided remove it from public as people has different joysticks and it doesn't do good anyways. 

I make small edit for it.

• Like 1

I'd make two different charts, one for front seat and one for back seat, as that's a hard delineation between functions. Fast reference is easier when you can quickly filter by which cockpit you're in. 

Then find a way to to have better contrast and clearer text. Less color, or keeping the color in blocks rather than the text, will also make it print better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Savvy said:

I have to agree. It's great, but would personally prefer having two (or more) charts - one for Pilot and one for Obs and just have standard black.

Something like this?

Petrovich proto operator.jpg

We don't have any combat (CMBT) functions for Short Right/Up/Down yet. And Long Right/Left are as well missing. Likely we have there something like "Maneuver to right" or "Hover stop" or something that is not in the FLY mode.

Edit: ED, please fix the comment box so it doesn't randomly delete all the text and leave some attachments randomly while deleting rest....

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Fri13 said:

There seems to be many short and long left/right for the future when pilot is looking through the sight. Maybe to command Petrovich to perform gun or rocket attacks or some maneuvers? 

Edit: Added the SVG file if someone needs it.

Petrovich commands2.jpg

This should be a kneeboard size in black version. 

I only copied one of the existing pages that was 903 x 1433 px in size. If someone knows proper size please inform.

Petrovich commands3.jpg

Petrovich commands.svg 45.05 kB · 14 downloads

It seems that DCS currently likes a 2:3 ratio for kneeboards.
200x300
400x600
800x1200 --> I use this one
1200x1800

Here is what I have so far for my kneeboard file. I am looking forward to trying it out live. This is likely to get updated. It is quite awesome to see how others have visualized the commands. Feel free to mix and match my pic when designing. Whatever works best for you is what works best 😄

Ng3o84o.png

Link: https://i.imgur.com/Ng3o84o.png

Edited by Bailey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Fri13 and @Bailey!

This'll be very helpful during our early "training" days when the Hind drops :thumbup:

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It seems that DCS currently likes a 2:3 ratio for kneeboards.
200x300
400x600
800x1200 --> I use this one

1200x1800

Thanks. I have seen so many different ones that I don't know what is suppose to be the "correct".

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Here is what I have so far for my kneeboard file. I am looking forward to trying it out live. 

Where did you find the "HVRT" modes for the Hovering?

And how do you get to that mode when you have just FLT <-> CMBT (Flight <-> Combat) on Right Short?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Thanks. I have seen so many different ones that I don't know what is suppose to be the "correct".

Where did you find the "HVRT" modes for the Hovering?

And how do you get to that mode when you have just FLT <-> CMBT (Flight <-> Combat) on Right Short?

I got it from the hind quick start guide located here: 

Some things in my kneeboard may be incorrect. Expect revisions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I got it from the hind quick start guide located here: 

Thanks!

It says in the Quick Manual well:

"When the helicopter is moving, only FLT (Flight) and CBTM (Combat Maneuvering) modes are available. When hovering, HVR (Hover) and HVRT (Hover Translate) modes are available. FLT mode changes to HVR automatically when entering a hover, and vice versa when exiting a hover."

• Like 1

@Savvy

@Eldur

@Bunny Clark

@MAXsenna

Added a pure B/W version, with each mode:

Petrovich commands.gif

Petrovich Hat Commands BW edition.zip

Ps. The sixth file is not really required as it is just Target Management and it is included as well on the Pilot page. 

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RogueRunner said:

What is the keybindings to use for Petrovich to put it on a HAT switch?

Go to DCS Options, Control Options, select the Mi-24P AI Menu dropdown. You will see them there.

• Like 2

"So you can translate to left/right/forward and give a visual heading turn, but not move backward." 

I think I saw somewhere that moving/hovering backwards is a prohibited maneuver irl for this aircraft. Interesting. 

• Like 1