Petrovich "AI" or Not?

MAD-MM

7 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Well not RNG... but RNG+Contrast? Yes!

Honestly, there should be some situations where the Shkval's automatic tracking system fails (e.g. due to intervening obstacles, low contrast, lighting conditions) and one has to manually correct to keep the cross-hairs over the target. It is unrealistic for targeting pods to be perfectly reliable! I want to sometimes have to go manual!

You have just described a situation where the system we have in place is more reliable than an electronic targeting pod, because there is a "human operator" and the system is analog so it can't fail in the way you have described. This is precisely the system that exists in the Hind, if Petrovich is supposed to simulate a trained helicopter co-pilot, then there is absolutely no way that there should be a RNG chance for him to fail at his task in ideal combat conditions. I'm not talking about the Raduga system, but the Petrovich AI itself. Or do you wan't to simulate him having a heart attack or stroke while aiming down sites, or maybe sweat rolling into his eyes? 

I mean everything else that we have talked about, that's already in the game or is planned to be implemented. But a percentage chance for the AI to just miss a perfectly lined up shot? How does that work? How does that even make sense?

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

15 minutes ago, malcheus said:

Humans aren't machines, sometimes we misjudge things for inexplicable reasons.

Most of the times I parallel park my car in one go, and sometimes I end up wrong, and I have to correct.

Sure, but then again you're not a combat pilot in a flying gunship firing a missile downrange at a hostile target. 🙂

Let me put it like this. In about a months time you will have human gunner co-pilot operators who will be so good at hitting shots in the Hind (including at other helicopters) that people will be accusing them of cheating. Just like how human RIO operators in the F14 are so much better than Jester. (for the most part)

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

someone need remember the old "Belsimtek" post about a early Petrovik. From old Belsimtek FB page on December 2017.

Mi-24P update:
3D model is not at the state when we are ready to flash it to tease you yet.
We've finished modelling of hover, takeoff and general performance in the air of this helicopter.
Currently team is working on Mi-24P crew AI. Mi-24P crew AI will be available as pilot or as gunner.
We are aiming to implement control over AI functionality with help of AI GUI which will allow you to use only 4 buttons to give AI specific commands regarding:
Heading
Speed
ALtitude
Maneuvers
Hover menu
Target choice
Also we are working on AI crew targets detection logic. It will not be just all-seeing AI copilot/gunner, as you can see on pics below, AI behaviour will not be simplistic and during spotting its being modelled to mimic real pilots training logic for spotting targets. Things like distance, angle and illumination will be taken into account among many others.
1st pic. Dependencies check
2nd pic. Angles scheme
3rd pic. Experimental data analysis
4th pic. Example of AI GUI for speed control
We wish you a Happy New Year!
Belsimtek team

26172304_815313298673170_909979997768805

26173187_815313378673162_810744474483802
26060331_815313445339822_348307491974794
26171147_815313495339817_364952993511442

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

But a percentage chance for the AI to just miss a perfectly lined up shot? How does that work? How does that even make sense?

in shooting its called a flyer...

everybody gets one to ruin the perfect group.

even shooting rifles on rails.

why? endless reasons. why we cannot stop flyers.

missiles have way more reasons, than bullets, to not fly straight.

from dodgy storage, to accepting the lowest bid.

the reality is that stuff misses for no apparent reason.

don't take it personally. just do it again and you will hit.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

My experience so far is the bot needs the chopper very steady to hit anything. Any jerkiness even if flying straight at the target thows him off. I haven't properly tested turning away from the target then holding steady yet.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:03 AM, Avimimus said:

The major thing I noticed about the Petrovich pilot AI (in the first video showing it - the ATGM video) was that it was oscillating the helicopter in pitch quite a bit. I found this a bit nauseating.

What do you think - would it be better for Petrovich to be less accurate in speed and altitude keeping in order to be more stable in attitude (note: attitude not altitude)? Would that be more realistic?

Yes. I have the same thing experienced.

I had automatic switch enabled in special settings so when I jump to front it gets activated.

I was on first flight flying over shore to sea to make a wide 1-2 km turn. I jumped to front and Petrovich started immediately pitching up and down like not knowing how to handle a cyclic. I watched it by 10 seconds how it got smaller in osculation but still...

I jumped back to fly manually.

Irony is that flight ended that Petrovich killed us in VRS. I slowed down, jumped to front seat. Commanded a hover (60 > 0 kph) and Petrovich pulled major pitch up movement at 40 kph and raised to 100 meters and VRS down...

For next  hour I didn't let him fly at all... I didn't get to do what I wanted, test the ATGM..

The Petrovich should really try to smooth more of its actions, unless under fire when possibly to maneuver tighter.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.