Upgrade or nah?

Hi all.

Keep finding that this is the best place to ask for upgrade advice. So here it goes again, Thinking about another upgrade but I am abit unsure this time. 

So options.

1.) Should I upgrade the CPU from a 3700x to a 5800x,   

Or wait until zen 4 comes out. 

2. Upgrade the 1080 ti to a 3090 , (if the price gets back to "normal" and I can find one)

3. Just wait.. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kevlon at the moment if your system is stable and running well. I would probably wait. Especially if your running 1440p@60hz or below.

I had a 3700x and went up to a 5600x, there was an improvement but nothing major. I also just upgraded from a 2080ti to a 6800xt as I put in a pre paid pre order months ago. Again there is a small improvement but again its not the leap I was hoping for. If anything I managed to scratch the upgrade itch. Unless your desperate for 4k or VR I would stick.

Unless you come across a sale or bargain that is. 

Hi Kevlon,

I would say it depends on. I just upgraded from a i7 4790K to 5800X and did not see any difference. The reason is I´m running a triple screen setup (7680x1440), respectively it is my GPU which is the bottleneck. I knew this before but thought having DDR4 instead of DDR3 would bring a small benefit. Indeed I have better frametimes now. But I do not really see any major improvement.

My proposal is to use MSI Afterburner and check the utilization of your GPU. If it is not at 100% this is an indication that your CPU is limiting. If you are at 100% the GPU needs to be upgraded to see an advantage. I hope this makes sense for you.

I´m eagerly waiting for the GPU prices to drop.

Edited by xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz