A thank you to ED and the former Belsimtek Team

In preparation for the Mi 24 I took the Mi 8 for another spin. I only spent 1 or 2 hours in this module and never really got into it. Immediately I remembered why I never spent much time in it. It seemed to be buggy. One of the generator kept complaining and the lift was very poor. No joy actually.

But then I spent 10 min googling and found out that I mistreated the lady.

The combination of Mi 8, Syria map, the new clouds and VR is a killer. Why do you need the new clouds for a helicopter, who will never reach them? The new clouds , if used right provide a new type of blotchy light that make every ride over the hills of Syria a Hollywood movie. And Syria is very high and the clouds can get pretty low, so , yah, joy do reach them and it makes your life very difficult. Keep away from the low clouds!

There are moments that are breathtaking. Flying high (actually too high for the war raging around me, but hey, I am flying for the UN, nobody, will shoot at me?) over a Wadi and having this gripping feeling of height in VR. The Mi 8 has this very big cockpit, in which you could have a Picknick with your whole family. The cockpit has very good visibility to the front the sides and below. Similar to the type-9 heavy space ship.

The Mi 8 is a module with a lot of character. You need to know the kinks of it and she will be a joy.

I hope that the team will be able to create a similar experience with the Mi 24.

People who have not tried the Mi 8, should give it a try!

Edited by kunterbunt
  • Like 7

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Agreed.  The Mi8 is currently my favourite chopper to fly.  Amazingly characterful 

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• kunterbunt changed the title to A thank you to ED and the former Belsimtek Team

I actually enjoy the Huey more for it simplicity of operation but its difficulty to fly well. (no SAS)

just cruising without a wobble is a skill in and of itself.

but the mi-8 comes a close second.

i actually enjoy the contrast. the added complexity of an extra engine and her size and weight.

you have to be a lot more deliberate with your evolutions. think about things earlier. plan more. be more aware of the mechanicals.

slow and steady is fast in the mighty 8.

i also like the different design philosophies between east and west.

belsimtek did a great job with both these airframes.

the huey for learning.

the mi-8 for a step up into twin engine, big helicopter territory. with all the different challenges that entails.

on paper the huey and mi-8 do the same job.

in reality they are chalk and cheese. (very different)

• Like 4

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Hip has been my main module for the last 3-4 months. Shame the sling loading is broken since December and some campaigns are unplayable because of it.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

On 6/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, kunterbunt said:

One of the generator kept complaining and the lift was very poor.

I'm a little confused with this remarks...

Actually the Hip has a ton of lift (much more than the hind) and you barely need more than 60% collective - so I wonder where your impression derives from,

and Natascha will only complain about the generators if the main rotor rpm drops to much, which should only happen if you stress it too much (too much g) in aggressive out of envelope maneuvers...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting you're wrong or anything - just love the module and wonder how such different impressions come to be.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, let me set something straight about the Mi-8.  If you are finding yourself consistently with generator failures, turn off engine dust protection and anti ice systems.  They bleed a shocking amount of power from your engines.  Those systems are a bit situational, too.  I am no great helo pilot, but I did learn very early on my journey with the Hip to turn those damn systems off.  It makes everything so much better.  Of course, use those systems if you think you need them.  Hell, the Mi-8 will warn you about icing.  And if you land and kick up a big dust cloud, turn on dust protection.  If you have either or both of those systems running, be very gentle with control inputs, especially collective.  And be willing to accept that you may be simply too heavy.  

I hated the Hip for a long, long time.  But I gave it a chance one day and now it my most flown module, by a very large margin.  Like more on it than all the others, combined.  

• Thanks 4

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, shake307 said:

Like more on it than all the others, combined.

+2  😁

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Mi-8 is maybe the most enjoyable helicopter for cruising. You get smooth and steady flight, turns and approach with it, but the transitional phase can be scary at first timers as it shakes so much.

It is amazing how much troops one can carry in one, making it nice air taxi. Just waiting to get proper infantry modeling.

I don't like so much it with gunpods. It is more of a rockets and saturate the area and bug out.

I am hoping we would see Petrovich in it as well. Call targets, threats and take control now and then when needed. And most importantly handle the radios and navigation.

I don't know how as many hours (closer to 100 than 200) I have spent flying it without outside visuals, inside a clouds or in mist and over the sea, searching for ship to land and deliver goods. It is like flying a truck.

I hope that in future we get to see good Mi-8 + Mi-24 combo deals, so it could be purchased as gift.

Funny thing is that once I learned from where does the distinct weeping sound come from (the single bar) I can't great it out of my head. So custom to hear it that I think it is sounding on every helicopter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.