DCS: F-14 Development Update - Bounce, Burble and Orbits!

Cobra847

10 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

Add power, reduce power, fly the ball. Might need some down DLC if you are overpowered crossing the ramp. You’ll figure it out with experience.

You don’t “flash” your external lights. When ready for launch at night, just turn the lights on and leave them on. Lights on is the signal, no flashing required.

Well I could get a 3 wire maybe 7 times out of 10 but I'm finding when I hit that pocket I'm either not compensating quick enough or too much. I'm sure with Practice it will come but just feel out of control at the moment. It took me an age to learn originally and beating it is part of the enjoyment so I'm sure I will get there but eventually. Thanks though. It's nice to know it's just going to be a case of practice.

That's what I originally thought but I always put lights on before start up once the external power is connected as I understood procedures say. If you then line up on the cat with lights already on then nothing happens until you cycle off then back on. Either way it works and is a really fun touch.

Edited by Indianajon

All external lights are kept off while taxing on deck. Turning external lights on when taxing signifies that you have experience brake failure.

So lights are off until ready to launch. After trap, once aircraft stops, turn external lights off (pinky switch on the outboard throttle).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Viewpoints are my own.

Out-fricking-standing work. Given how much time is spent doing carrier landings, the implementation of hook physics and burble is sure to make this an even more satisfying experience.

Quick question - have you guys figured out what was causing the DCS crash when choosing Tomcat slots? I use Bankler's Case 1 mission to practice carrier landings (you guys should totally include it as a tutorial mission!), but DCS crashes every time I try to choose a new slot within the mission.  

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Regarding the burble effect, I’ve read it’s the worst on calm wind days when the ship is making its own wind. It is mentioned the speed of the ship is a factor in the burble strength in game, is wind direction also factored?

I mean to say, with a stronger natural wind, the boat will be manoeuvred to put the wind right down the angle. Theoretically this should mean the burble from the island would parallel the approach (remain on your right side while in the groove) rather than requiring the plane to fly through it.

is this correct to real life, and is it factored into the new burble physics in game?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Did the first few traps in the F-14B.  Definitrely noticed burble.  First try I think I skipped so re-entered the pattern, was able to trap with a 2 wire (Jester said almost a 3).  Hooked back up and launched off cat 2 at Bingo, came back around and trapped again with a 3 wire. Burble was most noticeable on this one.  Nice!  

Is there a feature request to tell Jester not to tell me about me about the friendly detected when entering the Case I pattern?  It was the noticeably different voice, too telling me about the S3 tanker detected at 3 o'clock.  Should probably make that stop at least at the See you at 10?

4 hours ago, Victory205 said:

All external lights are kept off while taxing on deck. Turning external lights on when taxing signifies that you have experience brake failure.

So lights are off until ready to launch. After trap, once aircraft stops, turn external lights off (pinky switch on the outboard throttle).

Excellent, thanks. Noting this in my cheat sheet doc. I was hoping to find a reference to WHEN to use lights in 1987 NATOPS but couldn't find it. Was that a unit SOP thing or in another manual maybe? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

3 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

Regarding the burble effect, I’ve read it’s the worst on calm wind days when the ship is making its own wind. It is mentioned the speed of the ship is a factor in the burble strength in game, is wind direction also factored?

I mean to say, with a stronger natural wind, the boat will be manoeuvred to put the wind right down the angle. Theoretically this should mean the burble from the island would parallel the approach (remain on your right side while in the groove) rather than requiring the plane to fly through it.

is this correct to real life, and is it factored into the new burble physics in game?

It is always relative to wind over deck. If the wind is calm, the carrier will go faster, to meet min 23 kts. Maybe it is experienced more pronounced on such days, because the rest of the approach was less bumpy and windy I could imagine.

The angle of wind of course matters. burble is generated along the vector sum of the relative wind vector and the carrier velocity vector. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Uxi said:

Is there a feature request to tell Jester not to tell me about me about the friendly detected when entering the Case I pattern?  It was the noticeably different voice, too telling me about the S3 tanker detected at 3 o'clock.  Should probably make that stop at least at the See you at 10?

This is something we will tackle in the future set of Jester reporting improvements. It has been a huge sore in our eyes for ages now.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Will there ever be a fix on the replay where the jester menu keeps popping up and wont go away?? 

FC3 | UH-1H | A-10C | F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | P-51D | F-5E | AV-8B |

Caucasus | Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | The Channel |

SuperCarrier |

11 hours ago, IronMike said:

The barrier is a planned feature for the Supercarriers. 🙂 So, in time, this will be your only choice.

However: if you do not land massively above your normal approach speed, you will never sheer the hook off. Land normally, and it just will not be an issue. You would really have to go out of your way to snap it off.

Else, as Victory says, hehe.

Outstanding !!!!.  Just trying to cover my ass and save the plane. And, have a plan B as a backup. THX !!!!!😎👌👍🏆🥇

17 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Iceman was generally built in a stop-gap way, and we will in the future look at more ways to improve and add more functionality to this part of the F-14- especially as we continue development of the A-6 and others, and require much more investment into AI technologies.

Hey, it seems that another HB aircraft will also feature multicrew... F-111 maybe?

Darn, the F-14 is now kaputt, won't land. Told ya....

Need to start all over... it's either ramp strike (at least it feels that way) or waveoff. I believe we are coming close to what real pilots felt.....if we now get a electric shock if we hit the ramp.....

7 hours ago, IronMike said:

This is something we will tackle in the future set of Jester reporting improvements. It has been a huge sore in our eyes for ages now.

Cool. Jester should turn WCS to STBY in the final approach, right?

That burble - I totally wasn't expecting that much force - one bolter, killed me twice, two traps... feel like a rookie 🙂

I was expecting the simple "Iceman orbit here/now". Could be troublesome to make a waypoint just where I am now for the orbit to work.

All in all, great package, a lot to have fun with, thx. Waiting for the pilot body and more cockpit fixes/instruments. :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

9 hours ago, IronMike said:

The angle of wind of course matters. burble is generated along the vector sum of the relative wind vector and the carrier velocity vector. 🙂

This exactly answers my question - very cool!

I’ve only tried it in a mission with 30kts relative down the angle (I think it’s 15kts ship speed plus 15kts wind 18* off BRC, which is more like 28kts I guess but I’m too lazy to do the math). It was noticeable there, so I guess I’ll need to really work for it when the ship is making its own wind!

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I noticed that shortly after I launch a Phoenix, Jester will call out the missile as inbound and yell for evasive.  Granted I am new to the F-14B, but I don't recall this happening prior to the new update.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

1 hour ago, Tshark said:

I noticed that shortly after I launch a Phoenix, Jester will call out the missile as inbound and yell for evasive.  Granted I am new to the F-14B, but I don't recall this happening prior to the new update.

We're investigating, we've seen 3 diff reports so far. We believe this is due to the new missile RCS, as in he does not spot the missile, but actually calls it from the radar. We hope we can fix it till the hotfix. Thank you.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

13 hours ago, IronMike said:

We're investigating, we've seen 3 diff reports so far. We believe this is due to the new missile RCS, as in he does not spot the missile, but actually calls it from the radar. We hope we can fix it till the hotfix. Thank you.

Regarding 54s appearing on radar; is this as in RL or considered a bug?

11 minutes ago, Kula66 said:

Regarding 54s appearing on radar; is this as in RL or considered a bug?

From changelog: "Increased AIM-54 and AIM-7 RCS as per request from Eagle Dynamics." - I believe HB had their own numbers so these requested might be higher than what they deemed correct, so in turn it may be not realistic considering correct radar modeling. Also I mean 54s seen too good on the radar - not that it would be impossible at all to detect them. Jeseter should not be yelling though in this situation.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

EDIT: I shall reword my previous comment, because making any claims at this point is not constructive, as I feel and I do not want to further add to the confusion.

What holds is that we are currently investigating together with ED and we hope to solve it asap. Thank you for your kind patience.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

2 hours ago, k4riM said:

Since the Autopilot Altitude update no longer works?

When I click on NWS nothing else happens?

you need to be more or less level for it to engage. in alt hold your VS cannot be more than +/- 200 FPM. 🙂

Heatblur Simulations

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

you need to be more or less level for it to engage. in alt hold your VS cannot be more than +/- 200 FPM. 🙂

Confirmed both SP and MP, the autopilot works as advertised.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache