DCS: F-14 Development Update - Bounce, Burble and Orbits!

Cobra847

Is there a feature I need to turn on to notice the new burble and hook effects? Prior to the patch, I was rather rubbish at landings, usually hitting the one wire, but have yet to screw up a landing with the new patch. Maybe I'm not quite as rubbish as I thought I was?  😉

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

25 minutes ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Is there a feature I need to turn on to notice the new burble and hook effects? Prior to the patch, I was rather rubbish at landings, usually hitting the one wire, but have yet to screw up a landing with the new patch. Maybe I'm not quite as rubbish as I thought I was?  😉

If you were consistently low it is quite possible the burble lifts you into the glidepath and kinda settles you again lol. That is funny.

• Like 6

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

you need to be more or less level for it to engage. in alt hold your VS cannot be more than +/- 200 FPM. 🙂

The autopilot was very good as before, you made it complicated.

Edited by k4riM
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, k4riM said:

*realistic

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I think the changes to Auto pilot (which I really appreciate) may have had some unintended consequences on Ice Man. When commanded to a set altitude (eg when at 33k feet if you set absolute altitude to 35K feet) he will blow though and then over compensate and go down (e.g climb from 33K to 35K, keep going to 37K and then plummit to 33k again and keep bobbing  up and down. In general ice man seems to be less responsive and accurate. 
Baby sitting him and telling him to " hold current" seems to somewhat help the problem but he will still drift of altitude a lot. sometimes he will settle down into an altitude but then randomly depart from it, or start rolling 
For a dedicated RIO like me this is making things pretty hard but I understand he is a work in progress. 

Yeah! Just buy an F-14! No problem at all…:wallbash:

• Like 4

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

22 minutes ago, k4riM said:

It's okay it's still a video game if you want realism bought a plane and go to the sky directly

You'll find many people around here not only don't share your opinion on this, but actually disagree with it.

• Like 7

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1 hour ago, k4riM said:

It's okay it's still a video game if you want realism bought a plane and go to the sky directly

Yeah, I'll just buy a flight worthy Tomcat 😄, weapons and all. There must be somebody with one on Ebay or something right?

I really don't get people who buy a module that's aiming to be "the most accurate and detailed simulation of the F-14 Tomcat ever made", on a video game that is aiming to be the "most authentic and realistic simulation [...] possible" but then have a problem with them actually being so.

Now you play as casual or hardcore as you want, on whatever missions you want - I couldn't physically care less. However, if something is aiming to be as accurate, authentic and as realistic as possible, then shouldn't it be exactly that?

• Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, k4riM said:

We did not. In fact it is much more useful now and easier to use than it was before. Before it behaved wrong, could screw up your formation if you used it as lead, you could not steer with it while having it hold altitude, you could not engage it properly at higher alts sometimes, and you could not update your hdg hold with lateral steering. It also rolls smoother now, and most importantly: it is realistic now and not a WIP AP that we implemented before peeling it out. This is how you want an AP for fighters, and this is how it was.

Yes, playability matters just as much as realism. But only, if a) realism cannot be achieved or b) is the kind of realism that does not add but takes away from the sim experience: for example like waiting 3 weeks on repairs of your jet every time you pull 10+G. 

In this case however it adds to your sim experience, it makes it better. You just need to briefly unlearn the old, wrong autopilot, and relearn the new, correct autopilot. 🙂 It is not hard to level within 200FPM at all. But if it is, then you need to take a step back and work on precision flying, level flight, coordinated banked turns, holding speeds and altitudes etc. An overly easy autopilot is just what may have been working against you in such a case, as it made flying with it too accessible from pitch offsets where it shouldnt have been and that did not support you to learn how to fly proper. A common ocurrance in sims for sure, and trust me, we have all been at that point at some time. With a bit of grease on the elbows you will get there in no time. If you need help, feel free to ask. 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

We did not. In fact it is much more useful now and easier to use than it was before. Before it behaved wrong, could screw up your formation if you used it as lead, you could not steer with it while having it hold altitude, you could not engage it properly at higher alts sometimes, and you could not update your hdg hold with lateral steering. It also rolls smoother now, and most importantly: it is realistic now and not a WIP AP that we implemented before peeling it out. This is how you want an AP for fighters, and this is how it was.

Yes, playability matters just as much as realism. But only, if a) realism cannot be achieved or b) is the kind of realism that does not add but takes away from the sim experience: for example like waiting 3 weeks on repairs of your jet every time you pull 10+G. 

In this case however it adds to your sim experience, it makes it better. You just need to briefly unlearn the old, wrong autopilot, and relearn the new, correct autopilot. 🙂 It is not hard to level within 200FPM at all. But if it is, then you need to take a step back and work on precision flying, level flight, coordinated banked turns, holding speeds and altitudes etc. An overly easy autopilot is just what may have been working against you in such a case, as it made flying with it too accessible from pitch offsets where it shouldnt have been and that did not support you to learn how to fly proper. A common ocurrance in sims for sure, and trust me, we have all been at that point at some time. With a bit of grease on the elbows you will get there in no time. If you need help, feel free to ask. 🙂

Thank you for your constructive Ironmike response and for taking the time to explain.

I managed to get it to work, without really understanding the - / + 200 FPM, I just understood that you have to put a line above the horizon bar for it to work.

Thank you for your response. Nice and good luck for the future

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, k4riM said:

Thank you for your constructive Ironmike response and for taking the time to explain.

I managed to get it to work, without really understanding the - / + 200 FPM, I just understood that you have to put a line above the horizon bar for it to work.

Thank you for your response. Nice and good luck for the future

It is my pleasure! FPM btw means feet per minute. This is how fast you descend or climb when not flying level, also called the VS or Vertical Speed. You have a gauge that shows you your vertical velocity in thousands (and hundreds) of feet per minute. the 0 line on it, means you are neither climbing nor descending. Then each line above or below represent +/- 100 FPM. So whether you are above or below the zero line, you need to be within these first two lines above or below it in order for the AP to engage.

It is good practice to learn to fly with as little FPM as possible for an extended period of time. This will teach you muscle memory for your stick inputs and help you with many aspects of flight: while in the sim no one reprimands you, if you do not hold altitude during your cruise (as there is not air traffic or mission control usually), in other parts, like landing on the boat or air to air refueling or principally flying in formation it does matter of course. If you cannot hold level, for example it will be impossible for you to do air to air refueling.

Here is how to approach it best imho: fly in an area, where you have a clear horizon line, and then proactively push the stick forward and pull it back again, and see how your nose goes below or above that horizon line. then try to make these pushes and pulls smaller and smaller and smaller, until you only deviate very little. You can ofc always glimpse a bit at your VVI and altimeter, to cross reference and to get a feel for it, whether you look outside or on the instruments. Once you feel more comfortable with that, set your self a target altitude. For example 15.000 feet. Then do the same but try to be in the beginning within 200 feet of 15k, so that you oscillate between 14.800 and 15.200. then 100 feet. then 50 ft. and finally within 10 feet. Most importantly: there is no sweet spot for your stick, where you can rest it. You always need to work it a bit. Trim helps you, so make sure you trim it more or less level and also keep retrimming. Smaller stick inputs will be needed then, which means you will also deviate from your target altitude less. And also: whenever you breach your limits that you set yourself, dont give up: simply correct. Flying means correcting all the time. 100% of the time. This is where it gets fun then, when you get so far that you do it almost in your sleep and keep within those 10 feet above or below all the time. Remember: the Tomcat is not fly by wire. So if you push the stick foward, you have to pull it back again yourself and vice versa. 🙂

EDIT: when comfortable with the above also add banked turns, while maintaining altitude, and once comfortable with that, also add pulling Gs, while doing baked turns and maintaining altitude at the same time. You then also want to practice in the same manner: keeping degrees of bank (like 30° etc) and keeping Gs and speed and bank angle and altitude at the same time. This is then where you can start learning proper BFM and fighter combat maneuvering. 😉

Hope this helps you progress a little faster! Happy flying!

Here is a picture of your VVI, you will find it on your front left instrument panel above your radar altimeter and to the left of your airspeed mach indicator. 

grafik.png

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 4

Heatblur Simulations

55 minutes ago, IronMike said:

grafik.png

Wonderful advice, the refueling I had given up not having too much basic instrument level I told myself that it was reserved for experienced, yet I do a test treint without overshoot result each time I am unable to maintain an altitude stable in front of the tanker.
In any case, I carefully keep these tips in order to apply them in flight.
I have just ordered good equipment and I am posting a photo but I have not yet found the right settings for the sticks at the strength level.

Thank you

IMG_1476.jpg

Edited by k4riM
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, k4riM said:

Wonderful advice, the refueling I had given up not having too much basic instrument level I told myself that it was reserved for experienced, yet I do a test treint without overshoot result each time I am unable to maintain an altitude stable in front of the tanker.
In any case, I carefully keep these tips in order to apply them in flight.
I have just ordered good equipment and I am posting a photo but I have not yet found the right settings for the sticks at the strength level.

Thank you

IMG_1476.jpg

Wow, amazing setup! With these sticks, leave all curves and deadzones at 0. The F-14 flight model is accurate enough so that you will have the most precise experience like that. 🙂 I sometimes add like a deadzone of 1 or maximum 2 on the roll axis, because I rest my hand on the stick and it then keeps dragging the roll ever so slightly to the right, but best is without any deadzones and curves at all. Enjoy!

Happy flying and learning!

Heatblur Simulations

56 minutes ago, k4riM said:

Thank you my friend, it gives strength to hear from you, it was a pleasure to talk to you.

Good continuation in your work to you and your team.
See you soon 😉

It was a pleasure to talk to you, too! Have fun with the Tomcat!

Heatblur Simulations

On 6/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, IronMike said:

Likely not, because it would require a "sentient" AWACS to send you msgs that make sense, and again, we have no data on how they really worked. With a flyable E2 or AWACS added to DCS however we might rethink it, but then we'd still have to dig deep to find any info on how it worked (internally as in how it was engineered, etc, not as in how it was operated). ATM we do not even know really, how and where these messages would show up. Would the green arrow next to the cap entry light up briefly? We doubt it would be displayed on the TID, etc... With the limited use currently in DCS, even the research for that is a bit "wasted" time, although we'd love to know ofc. If anyone has info on that, please do approach us.

If you find out please let me know as im equally intersted

On 6/17/2021 at 1:34 AM, IronMike said:

Likely not, because it would require a "sentient" AWACS to send you msgs that make sense, and again, we have no data on how they really worked. With a flyable E2 or AWACS added to DCS however we might rethink it, but then we'd still have to dig deep to find any info on how it worked (internally as in how it was engineered, etc, not as in how it was operated). ATM we do not even know really, how and where these messages would show up. Would the green arrow next to the cap entry light up briefly? We doubt it would be displayed on the TID, etc... With the limited use currently in DCS, even the research for that is a bit "wasted" time, although we'd love to know ofc. If anyone has info on that, please do approach us.

I know it's not going to be exactly the same (or perhaps even enough information about the inner workings), but the F-4B/N/J Tactical Manual has quite a bit of detail about how it appeared to work in the Phantom, if you'd find this useful (and don't already have a copy of it) @IronMike.

21 hours ago, Biggus said:

I know it's not going to be exactly the same (or perhaps even enough information about the inner workings), but the F-4B/N/J Tactical Manual has quite a bit of detail about how it appeared to work in the Phantom, if you'd find this useful (and don't already have a copy of it) @IronMike.

Thing is, the technical stuff behind it isn't that advanced. The problem is that a lot, if not all, of the missing functionality depended on having an operator on a ship or an aircraft controlling it. That's not currently possible in DCS. If we had a GCI or AWACS operator position possible on a unit in DCS it would probably not be that hard to implement. As it is it would mean developing a whole nother AI to simulate that operator and that's not really within the scope of a single aircraft module. Developing Jester was not an overnight thing as I'm sure you understand!

That said, a lot of this stuff is also true for Link 16 so if a fighter controller for that link ever happens in DCS there'll likely be a possibility of transfering that functionality over to Link 4. But far from certain.

Edited by Naquaii
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope the end plan for the F-14 is to have key bindings for all of the cockpit controls made available in the Controls page.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 3

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked this up. I realized it's still "EA" but, for $79.99 not a single tutorial mission or YT vid for firing a Phoenix by HB? SMH. No ACLS either.

So... many thanks to the community for the wealth of necessary knowledge to make any use of this aircraft at all. Without their hard work, many folks would be limited to following waypoints guns and landing.

• Like 3