DCS: F-14 Development Update - Bounce, Burble and Orbits!

Cobra847

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 11:34 PM, Vanguard said:

I just picked this up. I realized it's still "EA" but, for $79.99 not a single tutorial mission or YT vid for firing a Phoenix by HB? SMH. No ACLS either.

So... many thanks to the community for the wealth of necessary knowledge to make any use of this aircraft at all. Without their hard work, many folks would be limited to following waypoints guns and landing.

Check out the Hornet then. About 80% of its avionics aren't explained in the tutes. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

On 8/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, Vanguard said:

I just picked this up. I realized it's still "EA" but, for $79.99 not a single tutorial mission or YT vid for firing a Phoenix by HB? SMH. No ACLS either.

So... many thanks to the community for the wealth of necessary knowledge to make any use of this aircraft at all. Without their hard work, many folks would be limited to following waypoints guns and landing.

I would recommend to take a look a Chuck's F14 Guide. Its an amazing manual to quickly learn to operate and fight in the Tomcat and updated constantly as new features are incorporated.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-14b-tomcat/

On 9/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, GunSlingerAUS said:

Check out the Hornet then. About 80% of its avionics aren't explained in the tutes. 

Really? I have the 18 and Wags puts out a video every time they adjust a rivet, not sure what you're on about. 

Heatblur has a total of 3 videos on your YT channel for training:

Ep 1 Overview

Ep 2 Cockpit

Ep 3 Cold and Dark

There are 78 Hornet vids on Wags and ED site. You're comparing the two? 😅 Unreal.

On 9/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, falcon_120 said:

I would recommend to take a look a Chuck's F14 Guide. Its an amazing manual to quickly learn to operate and fight in the Tomcat and updated constantly as new features are incorporated.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-14b-tomcat/

I will certainly check it out, thanks. Funny I just sent someone his 18 guide and never thought to get a 14 one for myself 😉

8 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Really? I have the 18 and Wags puts out a video every time they adjust a rivet, not sure what you're on about. 

I'm referring to the in-game tutes, the ones which actually show you in realtime how the airframe works. In comparison, the Harrier looks like it explains everything there. The Hornet not only fails to explain the majority of the aircraft systems, but the tutes that are there are often broken. It's a pretty dismal state of affairs for new players.

• Like 2

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Perhaps, but I'll take the possibly hidden 78 videos over the 3 HB provided 😉 

Dude, please, there're thousands tutorials and videos on DCS F-14 already.

I think I remember one user some time ago that had this problem with the video's being not done by the devs. I don't know the cure for that. At least it can be replied with "Early Access".

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 9/13/2021 at 6:36 PM, Vanguard said:

Dude, please, read my post. That is a link to a post filled with community videos to fill the massive gap HB left. My post was to thank the community for those very videos he's linking to... smh

We're not doing youtube tutorials, the 3 videos you mentioned were introductions into the module. While it is great that ED and Wags can afford to do that, we can't, and it isn't really usus in the industry either. The Tutorial missions and manual cover everything necessary though. Sorry to disappoint you there, but not sure why you would expect us to do youtube videos, if there are so many content providers with great tutorials out there, whom we communicate with and whom we assist to do their tutorials if necessary. (Plus a fully fledged manual that existed from day one, unlike with many other modules.)

Very rarely I will find time to sit down and do a quick tutorial in response to a question arising, which even in the shortest form costs me an entire day. A day unfortunately none of us has, that is just the harsh reality of it. For anything phoenix, check out the AWG-9 tutorial in the training missions.

If you have suggestions for additional training missions you would like to see we are all ears ofc. But there is no "massive gap" we are going to fill, as doing youtube tutorials, again isn't a thing for devs in general. Some may choose to do it, and Wags and ED are not the norm, but the exception on this front. Would we like to do stuff like that? Sure. But again, we can't, as we do not have the ressources for that - it would on the contrary leave a "massive gap" in development instead. Thank you for your kind understanding.

However, if you have a specific problem, I am more than willing to take an hour out of my day and meet up with you and fly with you and show you how it is done in game. We've done that for customers before, too. Send me a PM and we'll set a date. 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 11

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

On a related note: I saw Mooch's latest video yesterday where he sits down wit Hoser and Jello at Hook '21.

Which again highlighted the fact that there is a whole bunch of former Naval Aviators (and crews from other services/ nations) already involved with YouTube-Vlogging and blogging, getting heavily invested in DCS. So I expect a lot more quality content involving these fine individuals, and I am quite certain there will be training campaigns in the very foreseeable future as well. Campaigns that not only will fill in many of our knowledge gaps, but do so in an entertaining way, and in a scope way beyond a tutorial mission. So let HB and other module makers focus on their core competence of making the stuff, and allow them to "outsource" the time consuming tutorials.   

Now I don't assume we will ever get unfiltered tactical training (for obvious reasons), but I'm confident they will do their best to give us a satisfying approximation. 

A prequel to "Raven 1" is already confirmed. Reflected has another Tomcat campaign in the pipeline (and judging by the massive hint he has dropped with the video he linked to I am convinced it will be game-changingly awesome). Mooch hinted at his own collaboration with Baltic Dragon, so most likely another Tomcat campaign (with RIO emphasis?).  A lot more is going on. Good times ahead!

With so many changes and new systems,  another in game tutorial seems warranted.  The basics are covered though RIO in the air with multiple friendlies and perhaps a bogey on patrol or three at different ranges, shifts and speeds would be nice. Not a combat mission,  though a follow on with a walkthrough on a sample intercept,  adding some new waypoints, managing comms and countermeasures and doing RIO things seems necessary for completion.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Uxi said:

With so many changes and new systems,  another in game tutorial seems warranted.  The basics are covered though RIO in the air with multiple friendlies and perhaps a bogey on patrol or three at different ranges, shifts and speeds would be nice. Not a combat mission,  though a follow on with a walkthrough on a sample intercept,  adding some new waypoints, managing comms and countermeasures and doing RIO things seems necessary for completion.

RIO tutorials in the air are difficult, for obvious reasons (Iceman limitations, etc), hence we did the ground tutorial. Points noted though, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Definitely not expecting before the end of EA. I'd honestly hope for bindings first since I've managed to figure out most of it the hard way by now even before you guys made Iceman so much better. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 5:29 AM, IronMike said:

However, if you have a specific problem, I am more than willing to take an hour out of my day and meet up with you and fly with you and show you how it is done in game. We've done that for customers before, too. Send me a PM and we'll set a date. 🙂

That's a very nice gesture IronMike. Not all heroes wear capes 👏👌

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I just watched this video about the Jester AI Lantirn POD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk45yiXvqjk
I think what you have thought about and implemented is simply terrific. That makes the F-14 VERY interesting again for me as a single player. Simply awesome, thank you! 

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

On 10/12/2021 at 4:11 AM, sLYFa said:

-1 for TARPS, there is really no use for it in DCS and I would rather have HB spend time on more important things

I'd still like to have the TARPS for missions down the road, even if it is a very basic version of it, but I agree there's far more important things to focus on in the immediate future. If TARPS was one of the last things before leaving EA, I wouldn't complain. In the meantime, the lantirn pod can be used since it wasn't uncommon to have a lantirn-equipped tomcat fly with the TARPS one for actual recon missions. My understanding is each pod had different advantages, so the intel guys could catch things through the LANTIRNs flir that they'd miss in the TARPS, and the higher resolution on the TARPS could be used to better identify things that were discovered by the LANTIRN. 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/260275-faq-f-14ab-tomcat-by-heatblur-simulations-frequently-asked-questions/?tab=comments#comment-4553682

Q: Will you add a TARPS pod, and what will be its capabilities?
A: We will add a TARPS pod, however its capabilities will be extremely limited, and it will more or less be primarily a visual implementation. The full integration into the HUD and systems would require simply too much work for the very limited role of reconnaissance in DCS. However, we will try to think of something that will provide at least basic gameplay with it.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria