Low fps in hind

Raven434th

Guys, clean your shaders and turn off your mods for tests. Its maybe issue of one mod in current version of DCS, not the Hind (for example I had one time big issue with FPS, but it was Mustang’s mod done for different version of DCS). Ok, I have good GPU but Mi-24 works for me smooth like a butter. 😄

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

VR will also suffer when the poly count goes up, and it does with the Hind.

In 2D:

Hind = 1.78M and 69 fps

Ka-50 = 630K and 74 fps

F-16 = 1M and 72 fps

In VR:

Hind = 2.38M and 40 fps

Ka-50 = 1M and 45 fps*

F-16 = 1.26M and 45 fps*

* dont know how much above 45 it was.

Surprised it wasnt around double from 2D to VR, due to two viewports in VR (not enabled the stereo_mode_use_shared_parser). Maybe some things have optimized.

These were hot on ramp heli's and jet, same spot.

Edited by Knock-Knock
  • Thanks 2

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I also noticed a massive hit. Literally cut in half. But the same applied to sitting in the Hornet instead. All on Caucasus so far. Both Veeeee Orre and Pancake are affected equally alike.

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

Guys, clean your shaders and turn off your mods for tests. Its maybe issue of one mod in current version of DCS, not the Hind (for example I had one time big issue with FPS, but it was Mustang’s mod done for different version of DCS). Ok, I have good GPU but Mi-24 works for me smooth like a butter. 😄

That's literally what I was going to check next as it's the only graphics mod I run. Haven't updated that thing in a while (basically since he increased the haze).

Since it's just my first flight now and another sit in a new mission and another plane, I'm still trying to sort it on my end. First thought was it's caused by the Riftware, since I had one sensor listed as USB 2 again, replugged it to make it show USB 3 instead. But I had troubles with it in the past, requiring a recalibration. Seems to hit very hard on the CPU if it's not perfectly aligned as before. I love my Quest for its setup simplicity there, but my old potato simply can't run it well enough in DCS rdlaugh.png

Though I notived one thing. Absolutely no difference with mirrors on or off. But when switching them off from within the cockpit, the fps shortly jumps up (in one case it went from 23fps to 35 in VR), but immediately falls back down and stays there. Remember having had that with the Tomcat early on for a while where the general fps also was bad for me.

EDIT: No difference with Mustang mod out, shader folders cleared and even some graphics settings turned down quite some. It's weird since I got the drop in Pancake as well, regardless of the module taken, so I don't think Oculus sensor settings are interfering actually (that setup process is a pain in the plot as it has a chance of like 3% to detect the roomscale correctly, so basically when I redo that BS I lose like an hour at least to it until the damn thing catches the friggen controller without nagging about the positioning of the sensors).

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Did an nvidia driver update come out last night and some of us missed it? Worth checking .

Oh and I’m not talking an 8-10 FPS hit. Mine was like 30.  I even started lowering some more settings but it didn’t matter 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Might be worth posting your options settings to see if the Hind is affected more by a particular setting than other modules are.

I was actually quite surprised how well she runs - expecting a much bigger performance hit, given the impressive quality of the model and textures.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Just now, wowbagger said:

Might be worth posting your options settings to see if the Hind is affected more by a particular setting than other modules are.

I was actually quite surprised how well she runs - expecting a much bigger performance hit, given the impressive quality of the model and textures.

Will do so this evening 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Here's mine for comparison. I have all nVidia settings set to default. Maybe there's a clue in here as to where the performance is going in the Hind.

Tested with no mods in game directory or Saved Games, yes?

Screen_210617_165715.jpg

nV.jpg

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

7 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Here's mine for comparison. I have all nVidia settings set to default. Maybe there's a clue in here as to where the performance is going in the Hind.

I think it's the SSAA (and it was causing issues a couple weeks ago with a bug requiring people to bump up from 1.5 to 2.0). If I leave everything the same, but turn off SSAA, and turn on MSAA to 4 (Syria Free Flight quick start mission) my FPS will be around 60-70 when I take control. At MSAA 2 the FPS is 70-80. But if I turn off MSAA and turn on SSAA to 2.0, the FPS goes down to 30-40. But before the hind I had SSAA at 2.0 and was getting much higher frames.

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

49 minutes ago, Relic said:

I updated my driver. SSAA 2.0 is up to 50 from 30. SSAA 1.5 works again and doesn't erase the aircraft anymore like it was on the previous patch. SSAA 1.5 puts my FPS around 60-70. I think I'm good then. 

Nvidia driver ?

I'm still on prehistoric 465.89 and don't even dare to use any kind of AA.

dcs-270-set-graphics2.jpg

Framerate in pancake is now almost as low as it was in VR before the update, not just in the Croc. So I definately don't see a Mi-24 related issue here, but DCS in general...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Because experience taught me a lot especially with DCS it not being a good idea mostly. But I'll try the most recent one (that gets outdated probably within a few days), not expecting any differences though TBH.

On a side note, I had ATis for a long time when they actually had a monthly driver and not just like twice a year like it's now. Before that I ran my GF3Ti200 on 23.11 for ages simply because every single driver after that sucked balls unless you ran into a shiny new game that just wouldn't run on 23.11s...

Oh BTW, totall forgot to mention: I ran the previous versions (basically all 2.7.0 and 2.7.1) on the same driver, and they ran just brilliant (not sponsored). Now the 2.7.2 even tanks the fps within the menu. Mostly around 70-80 there whereas it always had been topped out at 90 (CV1) before and being in the 180-200 region in 1200p(ancake).

But well, let's go down that Windows 10 rabbit hole again and try every possible configuration with HAGS, Game Mode, XBox mode and what not. I hate that eternal pre-alpha "OS" for a reason... in the end, just another patch on DCS will fix it and I'll again have wasted hundreds of hours troubleshooting for nothing, as always; BTDT (can't blame ED for the complexity of their great product though, I see that on others as well) icon_question.png

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I concur that I get poor performance with the Hind in VR. All settings low, overclocked system at 5.0Ghz and a 3060 12GB card is giving me an average 20fps in the Hind in a simple mission, versus 40+ in other modules in balls-to-the-wall Liberation missions.

My 2c. It's probably not just the Hind, the recent Cloud fix has tanked performance for those of us who run Clouds on Ultra. I've had to disable MSAA (from x2 to 0) to get stable FPS. This is with Rift S, and a pretty decent Rig, with a 3090RTX, so no couch potato PC at all. I haven't updated my drivers in a while so I will try that. I might even drop clouds just so I can get MSAA back, the shimmer is killing me otherwise. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:51 PM, Raven434th said:

I'm showing 99% ram usage of 32 gig RAM(on mission load)mission start is 77% on Syria.16 fps on Syria.

Clear your RAM cache in windows . Drop some settings down in options . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Don't want to sound like some ED fanboy, but for the majority of performance problems DCS is not one to blame. I followed this guide, and uninstalled some problematic windows updates. Windows tweaks from the video completely eliminated stutter and gave me a noticeable FPS boost. My Nvidia drivers are 461.40 and I don't plan to update until some problem arise. I just want to point out that I use my PC only for the simulators and browsing safe pages and I can afford to potentially ruin my windows with tweaks.

Spoiler

i7 9700k 5ghz

gtx 1080 Ti

Frames locked to 63 with RivaTuner. Notice perfectly straight and stable framerate and frametime line

DCS_2021_06_18_10_34_10_413.jpg

DCS_2021_06_18_10_34_28_662.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just chiming back in. FPS are up and running again and I can even switch the mirrors on after leaving the Senaki area (which in general is tough on fps) without dropping below 45 in the Rift. I didn't just readjust the sensors, but went through the whole setup procedure of that thing. Luckily it succeeded at tracking on the first try, as I still don't know the criteria for that. So it "just" was the Riftware again, hogging up exactly that one single CPU core completely that DCS is running on. Weird thing is, that it actually had effect on pancake fps as well, they're back to almost 200 in the menu. Weird stuff being weird... next time I see any performance issues, I shall do that first and foremost, period.

rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg