Leap Support!!!

No, but I read it is Ultra Leap what Pimax mount, so it should work

Ok, so I bought the Leap Controller and my initial thought is that it has potential. Works well with MFDs etc. 
however, I don’t really get what is going on with blue and green lines emerging, what gestures do what, etc. Does anyone know of a guide to using this thing?

I read you in the other thread. Now I understand what you say. The only gesture I know is the pinch with index and thumb to activate the laser pointer but the laser does nothing for me.

The best result is closing the fist and extending index finger only. But no idea how the three position switches work.

Cheers

Wow. Finally!!! I have been wanting this for soooo long!!! I can't believe it's been implemented for so long without fanfare, and that I've missed it! I played Flight Simulator X with FlyInside and Leap Motion back when VR was new, and I was blown away. It's just so fantastic to be able to just reach out for buttons and controls. You learn a cockpit, you train your muscle memory to reach in the right direction, instead of reaching with your left had for your mouse all the time. It's amazing. And you don't need tactile feedback. You have to look at your hands with the Leap mounted to your headset anyway, you can see when you touched a button.

It's a shame it's so clunky in DCS though. You have to push your fingertip through the buttons, some controls overreact with rotation when you just want to flip it (I'm looking at you, Gear Handle!!!), there are blue and green lines coming out when you don't want them, and sometimes the hands get stuck to the throttle and stick. But just imagine the potential!!! If only they made interactions more like real life, physics simulated would be best. I want to pinch a rotary with my thumb and index and twist, not some artificial gesture to "induce rotation". The Leap tracking with Gemini is good and well enough sensitive enough to allow for this kind of fine dexterity. If I bump a flipswitch or a handle with my hand I want it to move, regardless of what part of my hand touched it and regardless of what gesture my hand was making. And specifically, don't attach my hands to the throttle and stick!!! I have a HOTAS already, I don't need throttle and stick to be interactable by my virtual hands!!!

• Like 2

+1, but the key word there is 'potential'.  I've sent mine back for all the reasons you already mentioned. The worst aspect was that when you are holding the (physical) throttle, Leap Motion thinks you have a clenched fist, shows the blue line and all sorts of stuff can then be activated, e.g. emergency jettison!

Nice idea, but needs a lot of development work doing to make it viable in DCS.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, The LT said:

Did anyone test this with pimax handtracking module which is essentially a motion leap in a different form factor.

I've been testing the Pimax Hand Tracking Module on the 8k+.  It's amazingly responsive with real time accuracy sync to your knuckles (especially with good light in the room) while using Leap Visualizer to test the device.  However, when testing in A-10C_2 I'm finding that the offset ratio between your hands and the cockpit is way off.  This might have something to do with my IPD settings.  If I get it worked out I'll post.  I can click the switches accurately, but only after I reach way too far (due to the offset issues).  Also, when in the starting screen my hands look like green flight gloves and it's very cool.  When I get in the plane they turn white.  Huge potential.. early challenges.  They'll get it worked out I'm sure.  Can't wait

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I've been testing the Pimax Hand Tracking Module on the 8k+.  It's amazingly responsive with real time accuracy sync to your knuckles (especially with good light in the room) while using Leap Visualizer to test the device.  However, when testing in A-10C_2 I'm finding that the offset ratio between your hands and the cockpit is way off.  This might have something to do with my IPD settings.  If I get it worked out I'll post.  I can click the switches accurately, but only after I reach way too far (due to the offset issues).  Also, when in the starting screen my hands look like green flight gloves and it's very cool.  When I get in the plane they turn white.  Huge potential.. early challenges.  They'll get it worked out I'm sure.  Can't wait
Thank you, I will keep an eye out for a used ultraleap then. Can't wait myself.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, imacken said:

+1, but the key word there is 'potential'.  I've sent mine back for all the reasons you already mentioned. The worst aspect was that when you are holding the (physical) throttle, Leap Motion thinks you have a clenched fist, shows the blue line and all sorts of stuff can then be activated, e.g. emergency jettison!

Nice idea, but needs a lot of development work doing to make it viable in DCS.

When I disable these pointers, virtual hands work much better. Be sure you have them disabled in the options, they're very useless in DCS.

They're not pointing to the same spot as finger and click on distance. The problem is, sometimes they remain active despite disabled in the options. I think this is up to DCS, not leap

Edited by PlainSight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Surely all that is needed from ED to get round the physical hotas issue would be an assignable button to toggle the hands on and off. Assign this to the hotas (maybe on both joystick and throttle) then only flick it on when you need it, back off when you return to hotas. Could even use a Voice Attack command.

..though thinking about it, you'd need a seperate toggle for each hand, or the hand remaining on the other hotas would start interacting.

Possible ?

Can't see how a masking solution would work as you'd probably loose access to all controls close to your physical hotas.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

yeah that starts to become a usability problem, the advantage of this is you don't really have to do think you can just do ... adding a button switch would sort of ruin that, you need to have some the interactivity like they have on the Varjo XR3 to edit in or out real world objects, not cheap, not easy

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

yeah that starts to become a usability problem, the advantage of this is you don't really have to do think you can just do ... adding a button switch would sort of ruin that, you need to have some the interactivity like they have on the Varjo XR3 to edit in or out real world objects, not cheap, not easy

I guess so, but I can't see the editing out solution happening for a long time, if ever, and I'd really like to get me one of these so a good-enough-for-now solution would be nice.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

FWIW, my software, Fingers, lets you turn your Leap input into 2D cursor input for DCS. It's designed to work with finger-mounted buttons for doing the clicking, but also works with joystick buttons mapped to mouse input - I find the cursor input much more accurate and useful than the virtual hands. Tested with Pimax hand tracker and Oculus Quest with Leap stuck to the front.

Thread: 

Software: https://github.com/glenmurphy/fingers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frenzon said:

FWIW, my software, Fingers, lets you turn your Leap input into 2D cursor input for DCS. It's designed to work with finger-mounted buttons for doing the clicking, but also works with joystick buttons mapped to mouse input - I find the cursor input much more accurate and useful than the virtual hands. Tested with Pimax hand tracker and Oculus Quest with Leap stuck to the front.

Thread: 

Wow! Great so see someone innovating like this. Brilliant idea and execution and somewhat cheaper than PointCTRL.

May I ask, as you're using the Leap SDK, is it possible with that API to disable/enable each hand individually ?

I have been thinking about ways to get round the physical hotas problem described in the thread above but any method would rely on being able to disable/enable hands individually when using the hotas.

I thought maybe using force sensitive resistor pads placed unded the hotas which could be used to detect a configurable amount of down force being applied by human hands resting on them and thus trigger the enable/disable appropriately

Then of using some sort of detector of signal ground loop strength, which would be completed when touching the Warthog metal grips (An idea inspired by the drop in amp hum when grounding my Telecaster single coil pickup by touching the bridge)

Then I thought of using inductive proximity sensors on the hotas but thankfully, I eventually managed to get to sleep last night LOL!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShaunX said:

May I ask, as you're using the Leap SDK, is it possible with that API to disable/enable each hand individually ?

I don't believe this is possible - Leap relies on each app to make its own decisions about what to track, so I think the best you can do is enable or disable all tracking.

You could attempt a hardware solution where you mess with the tracking in some way (e.g. an IR LED to flood it), but I imagine that will cause other issues.

8 hours ago, frenzon said:

I don't believe this is possible - Leap relies on each app to make its own decisions about what to track, so I think the best you can do is enable or disable all tracking.

You could attempt a hardware solution where you mess with the tracking in some way (e.g. an IR LED to flood it), but I imagine that will cause other issues.

Thanks. Back to ED I guess.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, frenzon said:

Thread: 

Wow,I’m going to have to try this. Any update on the ring inputs?

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

7 hours ago, DayGlow said:

Wow,I’m going to have to try this. Any update on the ring inputs?

Unfortunately the global chip shortage has meant that I need to redesign the rings from scratch, as the two modules I was basing it on (the MDBT42V and the EKSHSNZWZ) are out of stock for the next year at least 😕

well that sucks! I'm sure I can make it work with HOTAS bindings, the ring just looked so eloquent as a solution  

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

On 10/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, frenzon said:

Thread: 

Is there a compiled version? I'm not that versed in creating my own

2 hours ago, DayGlow said:

Is there a compiled version? I'm not that versed in creating my own

Ah yeah sorry for not making that clearer - you can get it from the Releases section on of the github page:
https://github.com/glenmurphy/fingers/releases/tag/v0.9.2

I really should make a proper website for it.

There are a few finger mouse things you can buy that will do the button-clicking, but they can be a little bulky.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D63BIAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:56 AM, imacken said:

Ok, so I bought the Leap Controller and my initial thought is that it has potential. Works well with MFDs etc. 
however, I don’t really get what is going on with blue and green lines emerging, what gestures do what, etc. Does anyone know of a guide to using this thing?

Arent those the standard hand controller laser pointers?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, frenzon said:

Ah yeah sorry for not making that clearer - you can get it from the Releases section on of the github page:
https://github.com/glenmurphy/fingers/releases/tag/v0.9.2

I really should make a proper website for it.

There are a few finger mouse things you can buy that will do the button-clicking, but they can be a little bulky.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D63BIAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I have a left handed trackball beside my throttle so I can just use it’s mouse buttons while pointing with my right hand and my reg mouse on my right side when using my left.