Leap Support!!!

On 6/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Plon said:

Hello,
Does anybody knows if Stereo IR 170 is working in DCS ?
(I bought month ago an Ultra Leap, it never worked with the last driver version (above 4), After spending  some time with engineering team testing to try to solve the problem without success, they're sending me a stereo ID 170 device free of charge... )

I use the Stereo IR 170 in my setup, it works just as well as the normal leap (which is to say, not very) for 3D hand tracking in DCS.  If anything, I would recommend going with the normal leap for less money and then using the fingers app to emulate a mouse cursor. 

20 minutes ago, Sielu said:

it works just as well as the normal leap (which is to say, not very) for 3D hand tracking in DCS.

I'd argue that with the correct setup and practice time you pretty quickly develop the muscle memory to get most of the buttons first time, I'm generally as quick with the leap as I am with the mouse (factoring having to grab the mouse, locate the cursor and then move it to the button I want to press), quicker especially if the button is behind and I have to reach forwards for the mouse whilst looking backwards for the controls.

The tracking is occasionally occluded by physical controllers but generally adjusting head position is enough to allow it to track again. Rotary controls are still a much harder implementation to learn but I'm finding that it's getting easier.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I'd argue that with the correct setup and practice time you pretty quickly develop the muscle memory to get most of the buttons first time

I probably shouldn't have generalized so much.  I'm genuinely ecstatic that you've gotten your setup to work that well!  Out of curiosity, what modules are you using?  I found the 'touchability' of the F16 to be particularly finicky, and after a week couldn't get through half of a cold start without having to deploy the mouse.  The hand-position-to-cursor emulation route has proven to be much more immediately intuitive to me, and I really enjoy the tactile feedback of having physical buttons to push once 'in position'. 

A10C and KA50 both work really nicely with the leap for me. Some buttons in the A10 (particularly on the rear left panels) I can't get with the leap because there's a wall in the way so have to resort to the head slaved cursor and hotas buttons. The joys of having the rig built into a cupboard that's not big enough to stand up in 😁

Ideally we'd all have simpits with physical so controls can be manipulated by touch alone and lack of tactile feedback is a downside of the touch; however for me the interaction of moving my fingertip to the control rather than just aiming a laser (as per the pointers or pointctrl) and clicking a different button is far more immersive (not that I've ever gotten the mouse click emulation to work reliably).

I must admit that I have spent a lot of time adjusting my desk area to minimize the occlusion and IR reflections that cause tracking issues. It's a lot like DCS VR, it takes a long time to setup perfectly.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I recommend building some kind of mockup of the cockpit.
I used a hard foam material for this. (Finding the right distances and scale is a bit tricky. But with the help of my wife it worked).

I pointed with my fingers while looking through the G2 and my wife measured the dimensions.
On top of the hard foam material I glued soft foam - about 1 cm thick.
Now when I press a key (ICP F16) I have a very good feedback and it feels absolutely natural.

Edited by A.F.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some work (albeit minor) appears to have been done on leap support!

DCS now remembers the settings in the options (leap enabled/point options) but doesn't actually apply them; also there is now no need to select the pointers options twice, that functionality works as intended now 🙂

I don't know if it's the leap implementation within DCS or the intialisation of the sensor that causes it to not be enabled but once in DCS if I replug the sensor and then re-enable in the options the hands work as expected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, third-party modules do not support leapmotion in DCS.
Is it possible for me to create a support myself? Or can only the companies of the modules do that.
By the way: I am not a Software Developer

I don't know the intricasies of it but I would presume it's about setting up a 3D map of where the buttons are and implementing that into the leap motion API that ED have developed.  I guess the only way to get the 3rd party modules setup is if enough people ask the devs for it.  Ask the question and it might happen 🙂

• Like 1

If ever I forget to enable the leap motion it feels like I'm missing a limb, get so much immersive enjoyment from just clicking a simple toggle switch.

If I had any of the 3rd party modules I would be pushing for the implementation with you!

I have little enough time to learn the hog and the shark that I've owned for getting on to 9 years, let alone another hi fidelity module😁

edit: if the small niggles of the base implementation of leap motion could be fixed then I think uptake would be so much more and it would become far more widespread, forcing more requests for the 3rd party devs. If I could help I would but unfortunately it's simply not my skill set (I can design you a sewage treatment plant though 😁)

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

Haha, I know that there is a slight lag of the leap hands moving in DCS when you move the headset quickly but I've never thought to try to flick switches with it 😄

I don't think I would have any problems replicating that, I tend to not wave my head around though when I'm pressing buttons so I've not seen it specifically 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, we need full Ultraleap/Leap Motion support for ALL modules in DCS!

Please ED implement this further!

• Like 1

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Apologies if this has been solved before but I couldn't find it in the thread. 

My issue is scale in that I can't reach the buttons on the MFD and I have good length monkey arms so it seems to be a scale issue. Is there a way to set or control this? 

22 minutes ago, _Grumpy_ said:

Apologies if this has been solved before but I couldn't find it in the thread. 

My issue is scale in that I can't reach the buttons on the MFD and I have good length monkey arms so it seems to be a scale issue. Is there a way to set or control this? 

Try to recentre your VR view so that you're a little closer when seated normally.  Lean right back in the chair, press recentre and then sit normally, it would be analogous to having a cushion behind you in an actually cockpit I guess 🙂

Failing that have a play with the IPD setting in DCS, this will affect the world scale of the cockpit (not your headset IPD - it's a bit of a confusing name) and you should be able to get the MFD's a bit closer.

• 1 month later...

@BIGNEWYdo you know if it's possible to edit the configuration of the leap motion via lua or similar?

I want to know if it's possible to disable the leap hands being turned off when stick input is applied.

Reason for asking is that I've just added a set of dampers to my warthog so that it acts as a non-centring stick for better use in the ka50, however I've a feeling that this will essentially break the leap motion for the right hand 🙁

Edited by edmuss

I would like to add a question.
Is it possible to display the hands but prevent interaction with the cockpit?
The background is that I have also recently started using PointCTRL.
If I have activated leap, then leap works preferentially. I cannot then use PointCTRL when the hands are displayed.

With PointCTRL, unfortunately, only a cross is displayed (like the mouse).
Both together would be nice...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi edmuss,

ED has done some further work on leap motion.
You can now operate switches and buttons with your thumb - very cool, especially the ICP in the F 16.
Even aircraft that are not from ED can be operated a little better with the help of the pointer. If you aim at a button and then move your hand towards the button, you can press the virtual button.
Also the settings for leap are now somewhere else and new ones have been added.
Everything is moving in the right direction.

It's a pity that ED doesn't document the progress. Then more pilots would hear about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A.F. said:

Hi edmuss,

ED has done some further work on leap motion.
You can now operate switches and buttons with your thumb - very cool, especially the ICP in the F 16.
Even aircraft that are not from ED can be operated a little better with the help of the pointer. If you aim at a button and then move your hand towards the button, you can press the virtual button.
Also the settings for leap are now somewhere else and new ones have been added.
Everything is moving in the right direction.

It's a pity that ED doesn't document the progress. Then more pilots would hear about it.

Yeah I've noticed a few changes, I hadn't noticed the thumb though, good spot!

I got really grumpy that they'd removed the option to not use pointers until I found the options squirrelled away in the VR tab under the hand controllers section!

The pointers are far more usable now as well, I was able to test getting button press pretty reliably. I still prefer to use the hands to flick and press stuff though🙂

All in all some nice improvements, I pity they're not even mentioned in the patch notes or documented anywhere though🙁

vor 6 Stunden schrieb edmuss:

I got really grumpy that they'd removed the option to not use pointers until I found the options squirrelled away in the VR tab under the hand controllers section!🙁

You felt the same way I did 😉

I just started using Leap Motion about a week ago, and I have an issue.

The camera is mounted on the front of my headset, and within the UltraLeap Control Panel Camera feed, it appears to be tracking my hands/fingers just fine.  I can make a fist, extend my index finger, and extend my arm completely out, and it correctly tracks my fist/index finger.

However, in the Hornet, whenever I get closed to hitting something on the UFC or MFD, either the virtual hand's index finger will close and make a fist, or the index finger will close and either my middle finger or ring finger will extend.

Very rarely, can I get my virtual index finger to register a touch on any cockpit button.  I have pointers turned off.  Tracking Mode is set to "Head Mounted."

I'm running with the OpenBeta, and have the same behavior before & after the 2.8 patch.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Generally if you're getting the hand closing up it's because of occlusion, some of the fingers can't be seen by the sensor and it thinks the hand is closed into a fist.

The other possibility could be IR reflecting surfaces behind where your putting you hand. In the visualiser, look for bright white reflective surfaces, if you have any you want to get rid of them ideally. I find closed cell foam sheet works very well.

Thanks edmuss.  I've tried really hard to do the exact same hand movement/orientation, with the camera in the same location, and it looks good every time in the Control Panel feed, but not so much in-game.  The weirdest part to me is how my virtual index finger will curl into my fist, just before it makes "contact" with the cockpit.  In the Control Panel, I'm extending my hand much farther than I am in game, and it tracks correctly.

My 38" monitor is the primary surface behind my hands, and it does have the bright white reflection like you mention.  I'll try with something non-reflective in front of it.

Appreciate your time.

7 hours ago, JSF_Aggie said:

My 38" monitor is the primary surface behind my hands, and it does have the bright white reflection like you mention.  I'll try with something non-reflective in front of it.

The ultraleap software relies on the contrasting outline of the hands being defined, if it can't cleanly detect the outline against an IR reflecting surface then it'll struggle to keep all the fingers tracked.

I had all sorts of issues until I covered my desk with the self adhesive foam sheet, that simple change resulted in almost perfect tracking.