Leap Support!!!

My leap hands do hide if there are any axis inputs, this is normal behaviour.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 hours ago, A.F. said:

Yes, that's the same for me, but then the hands don't come back.

I first have to go back to the menu and Leap Motion rest.
Then the hands are there again. And that seems to be different with you

same, even with no input on my axis

• 3 weeks later...

I've not tested it since the latest update, will do so tonight.

@BIGNEWY is there any current dev work/time assigned to leap? To be honest, if the bug with persistence of settings was squished then it would make it so much more attractive and useable to prospective users 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Yeah it's working fine in latest open beta 🙂

I've found that sometimes the leap controller 'goes to sleep' and doesn't reinitialise, a USB replug and re-enable in DCS fixes it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this device for 6 year and it's still garbage... I've even tried to use just like a god damn cursor - glitchy AF. You have to burn all of your nerves just to get point finger tap action.

:sly: Intel i9 9900K | RTX 2080ti | 64gb DDR4 | m2 SSD 512 gb + 512 gb + SSD 512 gb + HDD 2 tb | Saitek X-52 :joystick: | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO | Rift S :pilotfly:

If your setup is good and you disable pointers it works really well; the mouse click emulation is a bit shonky though, I can't use it at all.

Am 16.5.2022 um 01:40 schrieb edmuss:

If your setup is good and you disable pointers it works really well; the mouse click emulation is a bit shonky though, I can't use it at all.

Again, no improvement in Leap Motion!
Now it's getting annoying. It can't be that difficult to fix the bugs!

However, what I don't understand is that in the "Hands don't move the stick" setting, my dealers disappear when I touch the throttle or stick.
You once said that this is not the case with you. But what am I setting wrong, or what is different for me than for you?
Can we compare this?

Edited by A.F.

I think the setting is "hands move throttle and stick" from memory, if you enable this then the virtual hands will snap onto the virtual controls. Once snapped on any hand movements will give control input to DCS.

When you have a hotas it's a bad thing because you'll have two sets of inputs conflicting. It works if you want to fly without a physical joystick but then you'll be limited when it comes to buttons on the stick itself.

If you disable the hand move controls then the hands will disappear as long as there is any stick input or throttle input delta applied.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb edmuss:

I think the setting is "hands move throttle and stick" from memory, if you enable this then the virtual hands will snap onto the virtual controls. Once snapped on any hand movements will give control input to DCS.

When you have a hotas it's a bad thing because you'll have two sets of inputs conflicting. It works if you want to fly without a physical joystick but then you'll be limited when it comes to buttons on the stick itself.

That is why I would like to deactivate "hands move throttle and stick".
because of inputs conflict.
If I deactivate the function, my hands disappear as soon as I touch the throttle or stick - and they don't come back. I have to go into the menu to reactivate everything.
And that's why I activated the function "hands move throttle and stick".
I have to make sure that my living hands are Not in the position of the throttle or stick - for the reasons mentioned...
But that is not comfortable.
I would like to deactivate the function - but then the hands disappear .... And the cat bites its own tail. 😜

Edited by A.F.

2 hours ago, A.F. said:

That is why I would like to deactivate "hands move throttle and stick".
because of inputs conflict.
If I deactivate the function, my hands disappear as soon as I touch the throttle or stick - and they don't come back. I have to go into the menu to reactivate everything.
And that's why I activated the function "hands move throttle and stick".
I have to make sure that my living hands are Not in the position of the throttle or stick - for the reasons mentioned...
But that is not comfortable.
I would like to deactivate the function - but then the hands disappear .... And the cat bites its own tail. 😜

The hands will stay hidden if DCS is detecting some input on the control axes (pitch/roll/throttle), normally it's due to the the stick not completely recentring.  Try adding a slight deadzone to the stick and see if it alleviates the problem.

I think it would be great that instead of hiding the hands when physical control inputs are added they snapped onto the virtual stick but that's a wishlisting item for immersion not a game breaker 🙂

vor einer Stunde schrieb edmuss:

The hands will stay hidden if DCS is detecting some input on the control axes (pitch/roll/throttle), normally it's due to the the stick not completely recentring.  Try adding a slight deadzone to the stick and see if it alleviates the problem.

🙂

That's a good idea.
I notice a gentle shaking  of my stick in the F16.
Maybe that is the reason.
I will try it out.

Edited by A.F.

That was it.
I put my axes on an xbox controller as a test.
So there is no slight jerking of the stick.
And the hands keep coming back when I touch the stick.
DCS thinks there is input all the time (caused by a bad hotas).

I can't refuel in the air with a deadzone, I need very fine deflections for that.

Now I have to live with it for the time being, because I don't want to buy a new stick for 400 dollars and I don't know if ED Leap Motion will continue to develop.

Many thanks for your help!

Edited by A.F.
  • Like 1

You don't need much of a deadzone, I think mine is set to 4 on the curve. That said even with the deadzone on my warthog still needs an occasional tap to get it to release the hands.

Perhaps if any devs are looking there could be a timeout on last controller input rather than an absolute dead centre requirement.

Or even don't disable the hands interaction at all, with pointers disabled only the tip of the index finger is active and when gripping the stick or throttle it's generally occluded from the leap so shouldn't accidentally trigger anything. Have the virtual hands lock onto the virtual stick in the same way but when the hands are registered as moving outside of a prescribed area by the leap motion unlock them and move them accordingly.

Easy for me to say, probably harder to code! @BIGNEWYcan we pass this on as a suggestion/possibility?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Giving it another chance after a year or so. Installed Gemini 5.6.1, Leap is working fine, can see my hands in Gemini. Started DCS, latest update, Gemini running in the background, "settings" -> "special", found the Leap Motion entry, hit the check box and nothing. Red message "plug in device" or "device not found" (it's in german, so just a rough tranlation)

Same w/o Gemini, still "plug in device".  Changed USB port, no change.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you ticked the show arms box?

hace 1 hora, void68 dijo:

Giving it another chance after a year or so. Installed Gemini 5.6.1, Leap is working fine, can see my hands in Gemini. Started DCS, latest update, Gemini running in the background, "settings" -> "special", found the Leap Motion entry, hit the check box and nothing. Red message "plug in device" or "device not found" (it's in german, so just a rough tranlation)

Same w/o Gemini, still "plug in device".  Changed USB port, no change.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello, two stupid questions

First : Did you play with VR, because is the only way to use leapmotion in dcs

Second : If the first answer is yes, copy the last leapC.dll from your main gemini installation folder to the bin folder of your main dcs installation, them try to enable the leap motion and all the stuff (see arms , no cursor etc).

I repeat, It only works if you have an VR device and of course you check on in the main properties of the visualizer the "change to hmd mode when VR launched" or something like that.

Hope this helps you

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

20 minutes ago, firefox121 said:

Hello, two stupid questions

First : Did you play with VR, because is the only way to use leapmotion in dcs

OMG... "stupid" questions for one stupid user... no! Despite I own a Pimax8KX I tend to set up the system in 2D. I just changed to 3D and... there it is! Thanks! Haha, that was really dumb.

And ticking the arms box would have been the next issue, thanks too!

Edited by void68
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So I upgraded the basic Leap controller to the Pimax (double lenses) leap controller. Still a good idea, terrible implementation. While the original Leap software recognizes my hands and even the fingers quite accurate it totally fails in DCS. My right index and middle finger are twisted once I try to press ICP buttons / F16. I have to try it several times, hitting the wrong buttons and dropping me back to the beginning of the data input.

While the index finger is at the correct spot, it just messes with the distortet middle finger. Last time I checked my original middle finger is pretty mainstream, it seems. So I think, since Leap software does it right, it's DCS messing it up.

It's absolutely no use in using any of the side consoles, not even the MFS buttons. So I will put the thing to rest for another couple of years.

Only the index finger is active in DCS so the middle finger is never going to do anything; I make a fist with my index finger extended and it works perfectly just about all the time.  IR interferance/reflection is what stops it tracking the fingers nicely; I've written about it a couple of times in this thread, have a look back and see if any of the workarounds help 🙂

Hello,
Does anybody knows if Stereo IR 170 is working in DCS ?
(I bought month ago an Ultra Leap, it never worked with the last driver version (above 4), After spending  some time with engineering team testing to try to solve the problem without success, they're sending me a stereo ID 170 device free of charge... )

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

I believe the main advantage of the stereo 170 it's that it's got a larger tracking envelope but the software and setup is identical.

Did the leap work ok in the visualiser? If it's working and configured correctly in the visualiser then it should work fine in DCS.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have it yet. Hope it will work.

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.