Will DCS Supercarrier benefit from HB latest update?

ViperDriver

Hey all

After the latest update from HB F-14 Tomcat and their improvements for carrier operations (new hook physics, burble and night catapult signalization) will we get the same improvements for the DCS Supercarrier and the F/A-18 hornet or is this developed exclusively for HB and their contents? I remember that the burble effects were also planned for the Supercarrier as well but there was no news since then. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ViperDriver said:

Hey all

After the latest update from HB F-14 Tomcat and their improvements for carrier operations (new hook physics, burble and night catapult signalization) will we get the same improvements for the DCS Supercarrier and the F/A-18 hornet or is this developed exclusively for HB and their contents? I remember that the burble effects were also planned for the Supercarrier as well but there was no news since then. 

+1 here.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Hey all

Answered in another thread.@BIGNEWY confirmed ED is making their own burble.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Answered in another thread.@BIGNEWY confirmed ED is making their own burble. emoji4.png

It seems that HB made the burble a part of the Tomcat's FM.  I wonder how ED is going to incorporate the effect?  It would make sense to make it part of the carrier's physics/effects, because that is what it actually is and has nothing to do with the aircraft and it's FM.  However, if ED made the burble effect a part of the carrier, we would get a double burble while flying the Tomcat...

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

It seems that HB made the burble a part of the Tomcat's FM.  I wonder how ED is going to incorporate the effect?  It would make sense to make it part of the carrier's physics/effects, because that is what it actually is and has nothing to do with the aircraft and it's FM.  However, if ED made the burble effect a part of the carrier, we would get a double burble while flying the Tomcat...
This is how it should be done. An area behind the island should cause turbulence, your plane shouldn't wobble on its own. I'm guessing HB will remove their effect when/if ED adds the burble properly.
  • Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

While the burble itself doesnt change with the aircraft flying through it, its effects can be very different depending on airframe. Making the burble aircraft specific (i.e. part of its FM) is more reasonable IMO than having a global effect for all AC. 

• Like 3

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

ED has making your bubble effect and that was planned as a funtionality Supercarrier after EA.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/other/supercarrier/

During the early access period, the following additional features will be added:

Air Boss station.
Briefing room.
Occupy the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with PLAT camera, including VR support.
More LSO station interactions.
Combined Arms integration.
"Burble" effect.
Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.
Functional barricade net.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sLYFa said:

While the burble itself doesnt change with the aircraft flying through it, its effects can be very different depending on airframe. Making the burble aircraft specific (i.e. part of its FM) is more reasonable IMO than having a global effect for all AC. 

It depends. Wake vortex is universal since it seems DCS can handle putting arbitrary velocity fields behind aircraft. Carrier burble should be able to be modeled the same way, so there won't be a need to make an effect for each plane. There may be some other technical reason for having separate modeling per airframe, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

7 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

Let the battle of the "Burbles" begin 😄

Burbles battles… who would have thought? 🤣

• Like 1

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

12 hours ago, sLYFa said:

The correct approach would be to make the FM correct enough for each airframe, so that each aircraft would react differently to the same turbulence, not bake in a turbulence effect out of nowhere.

• Like 5

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

8 hours ago, Justificus said:

I wonder who else wants that announcer to kick things off?

"Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the main event! LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEETTTTS GET READY TO BUUUUUUUURBLELLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!"

• Like 2

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand it makes the most sense for it to be a universal thing tied to the carrier that's creating it, then it'll effect any aircraft flying an approach regardless of what it is. If I want to land a Harrier on a carrier I should still feel the effects if I fly through it. It should also effect mod aircraft such as the A-4 and T-45 that way as well. 

But I can also see HB's point about being able to fine tune the effect for an individual aircraft. If they get really specific feedback from their SMEs about how the Cat is effected by the burble, it'd be cool to be able to implement that rather than just having to live what how ED thinks every plane should be effected. There's plenty of tiny aerodynamic things going on with any aircraft that could cause a difference in feel when flying through something like the burble that may not get recreated correctly by a broader FM. Maybe a mix of both is possible? We'll see. 

As for the tailhook physics: HB has kinda lead-frogged ED here. The Hornet has had hook skip modeled for ages already, and that was one aspect of carrier landing that had been really deficient in the Tomcat model. HB now seems to have a far more sophisticated model than ED used for the Hornet. I don't know that is really makes much difference in the end, I haven't put many landing reps in with the new Cat yet. The hook bounding on the ground is cool, but I wouldn't exactly call that a critical feature. 

• Like 3

Yay.....just what we need !! Even trickier landings!!! 

I am joking of course, its great, but, the way I am battling with Airboss at the moment on our server, the longer it is in coming, the better!! 

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:58 PM, Justificus said:

When Burbles fight it's a Burble Battle

When Burbles battle with paddles it's a Burble Paddle Battle

When Burbles battle with paddles in a puddle it's a Burble Puddle Paddle Battle...

When Burbles battle with paddles in a puddle on a poodle eating noodles it's a...

Isn't the burble really just an area of turbulence created by the island and all the hardware therein associated, so if they come up with a way to model that turbulence wouldn't the aircraft automagically respond, or is this something that needs to be fine-tuned for everything with a hook?

Now, for the dumber question; would this be less of an issue for a straight-deck carrier?  I'm assuming we worry about this because the flight path crosses the turbulent air created by the island as we aim for the angled deck.

Just trying to wrap my head around this.  I did like John Young's biography when he mentioned the burbles were classified, and different for every carrier.

When Burbles fight it's a Burble Battle
When Burbles battle with paddles it's a Burble Paddle Battle
When Burbles battle with paddles in a puddle it's a Burble Puddle Paddle Battle...
When Burbles battle with paddles in a puddle on a poodle eating noodles it's a...

Isn't the burble really just an area of turbulence created by the island and all the hardware therein associated, so if they come up with a way to model that turbulence wouldn't the aircraft automagically respond, or is this something that needs to be fine-tuned for everything with a hook?

Now, for the dumber question; would this be less of an issue for a straight-deck carrier?  I'm assuming we worry about this because the flight path crosses the turbulent air created by the island as we aim for the angled deck.

Just trying to wrap my head around this.  I did like John Young's biography when he mentioned the burbles were classified, and different for every carrier.
I believe the ship itself, not the island, makes the largest turbulence. Like a semi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 6/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, sLYFa said:

I assume the ED burble will be done the same way wake turbulence was done - i.e. it's not FM side, but rather the airflow is modelled in the world and any aircraft flying through that should behave properly without any changes to FM. And this is a more reasonable way to do this because the effect will differ greatly depending on the object that generated it.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:52 AM, MAXsenna said:

I believe the ship itself, not the island, makes the largest turbulence. Like a semi.

The burble is airflow created by the tower, parked aircraft, etc, that goes down the rundown and hit the sea and then comes up creating the effect.

Starts at 30:30 minutes.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.