Any Bombing Ranges on Cyprus?

CommandT

8 hours ago, CommandT said:

Anyone know of any real life Bombing Ranges in Cyprus? There's meant to be one 8km south of Laranca but I can't find it. 

Cheers! 

Bunch of danger area's south of Cyprus is mainly it I believe.

image.png

Edited by ArjenHVA

8 hours ago, CommandT said:

Do we have them on the cyprus map? 

Those danger areas? They're above water, so yes. I'm not sure what you would expect 😅 Not aware of any on-land ones and if there is, Ugra has to model them also.

1 hour ago, ArjenHVA said:

Those danger areas? They're above water, so yes. I'm not sure what you would expect 😅 Not aware of any on-land ones and if there is, Ugra has to model them also.

Ha! No! I meant the bombing ranges 

22 hours ago, buur said:

Here is an other article with a more precise location. http://www.hri.org/news/cyprus/cmnews/2003/03-07-02.cmnews.html

But when I search the arrear in google map I can find nothing. Ok, it now 50 years ago.

Yeah me neither. I guess it's gone now. Shame there's no proper bombing ranges on the cyprus map for realistic sorties 

Hello

has someone found an alternative area? Or more information about the former bomb area? 

It is designed for light weapons but maybe an alternative? 

image.png

Edited by Mab8
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Cyking:

As far as I know,  there was a bombing range at Grid VE91. 

But nothing to see on Google. 

zypernrange.png

Hello Cyking , 

I also find no evidence of any impacts or anything. Where did you get the card from? 

On 6/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, ArjenHVA said:

Bunch of danger area's south of Cyprus is mainly it I believe.

image.png

These danger areas was where the RAF carried out air to air gunnery exercises but since Akrotiri has been the centre of the RAF operations in Syria for a few years now those exercises are long gone.  I checked the Cyprus AIP and there are no on land bombing ranges.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

16 minutes ago, Specter said:

These danger areas was where the RAF carried out air to air gunnery exercises but since Akrotiri has been the centre of the RAF operations in Syria for a few years now those exercises are long gone.  I checked the Cyprus AIP and there are no on land bombing ranges.

Yes I got it from there as well. LCD46 has the most activity with IAF fighters. LCD47 is very occasionally active for NATO AWACS. USAF UAV operations and Russian Navy missile launches are by NOTAM off Latakia. 

As far as I am aware, Armament Practice camps were regularly held at Akrotiri but mainly air to air gunnery with either towed targets or sometimes hawks used as enemy threats. Also we also had a gunnery range out in the North Sea for air to ground practice, I am guessing targets would be floated out to these danger areas around Cyprus to be shot up. I have read a few accounts in regards to these ranges in either Lightning Boys 1 or 2 as well as Phantom Boys. 

In one incident a Lightning makes a dive attack on a target and after firing his guns finds out that the controls don't respond as advertised, He evertually makes it back to Gutersloh I think to reveal that the parachute cloth that was used to capture the shells hadn't been installed leaving them to ping about freely down the fuselage jamming the elevators!

Marc

Edited by LightningF6
Bad Spelling!

• 5 months later...

I've been involved in APCs at Akrotiri on both Phantoms and Tornado F3 between 1982 and 2005 and there was never any air to surface gunnery carried out.  We only fired against airborne targets, always against a towed banner initially by 100sqn Canberra's and latterly by 100Sqn Hawks.  Air to ground gunnery was practiced at Donna Nook range or Tain range in the UK and were against targets on the beach.  Shooting against targets on the sea surface is fraught with ricochet danger as water surface tension is harder than people think.

I was also on Typhoon between 2005 and 2018 and during that time it never trained in air to air gunnery.

• Thanks 2

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 1 month later...

Done some sniffing around and found mentions and coordinates of bombing ranges from the older days on Cyprus, in these documents:

https://www.sbaadministration.org/home/legislation/01_02_09_06_PIs/01_02_09_06_24_PI_1983/19830101_PI08-09-Gaz643-26January_u.pdf

and page 99 in this one
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/research/RAF-Historical-Society-Journals/Journal-38.pdf

All seem to be placed in the water.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The one at Cape Pyla (east of Larnaca) appears to have something on land.
http://www.antitank.co.uk/anti-tank_range_targets.htm

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 7 months later...

Bit late, but found something interesting from a regulation from the 1959 partially with Lat/Long references, that mentions 11 bombardment areas, including some land based.

Don't be irritated by the title, the Bombing Ranges are mentioned beginning at page 2.

https://www.cylaw.org/KDP/data/1959_1_634.pdf

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...

Akamas bombing range...no longer in use and I believe a nature preserve now.

As far as "realistic" sorties...I'm not sure what the hang-up is. Come up with a scenario where the Akamas range is still an actual range, and design your mission.

That's what I did, and no magic 'realism' fairy came along and deleted my mission...go figure.

• 4 months later...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-british-military-antennae-in-the-akrotiri-western-sovereign-base-area-26525584.html

Kinda close to the road for a bombing range!

Edited by Specter