Full weapons loadout total Hind weight exceeds 100%

Mac D

54 minutes ago, SuumCuique said:

S-8 rocket pods are heavy and the Hind is a heavy helicopter itself, with a slightly lower max TO weight than the Mi-8 from which it is derived. Take less fuel or weapons, or do a rolling TO.

Okay, that I didn't know.

I always went on the assumption the Hind could carry a full weapons and fuel loadout but still be within it performance envelop.

I think it's not a bug.

The Hind can handle more weight if using rolling takeoffs and landings. So Minimum Takeoff Weight and Operational Takeoff weight vary depending on the mission profile.

• Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

44 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I think it's not a bug.

The Hind can handle more weight if using rolling takeoffs and landings. So Minimum Takeoff Weight and Operational Takeoff weight vary depending on the mission profile.

Would be interesting to know how did the Mi-24V perform the vertical landing and take-off with 4x rocket pods and 8 infantry soldiers. Video doesn't show is there AT missiles as well, but 4x of them don't weight as much as 8 fully loaded soldiers....

Sure it can't have a full load of fuel at that moment, as you likely wouldn't even take full fuel, and you consume some of it after take-off. But estimating that 30-40% of fuel would be left for the operation, then what would it take?

8x soldiers is heck of a transport capability for Mi-24P. And if assuming that you have young soldiers that mass with full combat load (20kg) about 95 kg each, that makes only < 800 kg extra, after fuel and weapons. 

20x S-8 heaviest rockets is 15.2 kg x 20, about 305 kg + pod (B-8M1) itself 160 kg empty mass, so in total 465 kg per pod. That takes 1860 kg alone for it.

32x S-5 (as in the photo below) is ~270 kg as loaded (187 kg as 32 heaviest 5.85 kg rockets + UB-32 pod that is 103 kg empty, so 290 kg in heaviest form), making it 1160 kg in total with 4x UB-32.

That is massive difference considering that you have 128 rockets (4x32) vs 80 rockets, and mass difference 700 kg. 

And that leads a great possibility to carry those 8 infantry soldiers with the rocket pods making it in total of 1860 kg (+ possible AT missiles).

Each Ataka missile mass is 50 kg. So carrying four of them is 200 kg + attachment (let's say 150 kg)

Mi-24V_troops.jpg

But if one takes the pre-made loadout (4хБ820_OFP2+4xATGM_9M114) then one can have only 7% of fuel to have 100% weight.

That is the heaviest load you can have. That might be the reason why there is this "Mi-24P can't hover" as when you load it full, it can't hover as you are so heavy with S-8 rockets.

You can have 4x UB-32 pods with S-5 rockets and you can have 4x Shturm and 60% fuel and you are at 100% weight limit.

You really need that speed to carry that weight and S-8 will limit seriously your capability compared to S-5. 

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team

This is correct as is

MAX 11500  is not the maximum for take off

The 100% limit in the editor is the top suggested for best manoeuvrability and life span of the airframe 

In real life Mi-24 can take off with 12500 alright, but manoeuvrability will be affected, and if used constantly with such weight airframe life span will be affected.

In short, it is still possible to take off with heavier loads, of course adjusting fuel can help, with the very heavy load outs using a value above 100% is unavoidable.  

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

The 100% limit in the editor is the top suggested for best manoeuvrability and life span of the airframe 

That explains then a lot in other helicopters too. So it is the "recommended" value for the service time. 

Does this apply to other helicopters/modules as well?

I noticed that Mi-24P has in the mission editor the engines service life by default at 90% and can be set higher or lower. Is this first module offering that? 

image.png

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

17 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Would be interesting to know how did the Mi-24V perform the vertical landing and take-off with 4x rocket pods and 8 infantry soldiers. Video doesn't show is there AT missiles as well, but 4x of them don't weight as much as 8 fully loaded soldiers....

Sure it can't have a full load of fuel at that moment, as you likely wouldn't even take full fuel, and you consume some of it after take-off. But estimating that 30-40% of fuel would be left for the operation, then what would it take?

8x soldiers is heck of a transport capability for Mi-24P. And if assuming that you have young soldiers that mass with full combat load (20kg) about 95 kg each, that makes only < 800 kg extra, after fuel and weapons. 

20x S-8 heaviest rockets is 15.2 kg x 20, about 305 kg + pod (B-8M1) itself 160 kg empty mass, so in total 465 kg per pod. That takes 1860 kg alone for it.

32x S-5 (as in the photo below) is ~270 kg as loaded (187 kg as 32 heaviest 5.85 kg rockets + UB-32 pod that is 103 kg empty, so 290 kg in heaviest form), making it 1160 kg in total with 4x UB-32.

That is massive difference considering that you have 128 rockets (4x32) vs 80 rockets, and mass difference 700 kg. 

And that leads a great possibility to carry those 8 infantry soldiers with the rocket pods making it in total of 1860 kg (+ possible AT missiles).

Each Ataka missile mass is 50 kg. So carrying four of them is 200 kg + attachment (let's say 150 kg)

Mi-24V_troops.jpg

But if one takes the pre-made loadout (4хБ820_OFP2+4xATGM_9M114) then one can have only 7% of fuel to have 100% weight.

That is the heaviest load you can have. That might be the reason why there is this "Mi-24P can't hover" as when you load it full, it can't hover as you are so heavy with S-8 rockets.

You can have 4x UB-32 pods with S-5 rockets and you can have 4x Shturm and 60% fuel and you are at 100% weight limit.

You really need that speed to carry that weight and S-8 will limit seriously your capability compared to S-5. 

In reference to your photograph, there is a possibility that those rocket pods are empty.

On a side note, the 100% load out and max weight that you see in the arming screen, is this taking into account the current weather settings and geographical location in the game or is that a separate issue you face once you try and take off lol.