Can easily detect and lock missiles with radar (also shoot them down)

Bankler

22 hours ago, GGTharos said:

This does not touch on the reciever end of the radar. Yes, every object has an RCS against all radars. But the main point both noted in the study and what I tried to say is that the radar might not get any useful data since the wavelength is too short when compared against the width of the missile.

"The RCS considers the absolute power received with the co and cross polarizations included. It means that the absolute power involves both vertical and horizontal polarizations – actually the square root of both squared components. A real world measurement will have to count on antennas able to receive both polarizations."

That will be almost impossible IRL since the wavelenth and amplitude will most likely not line up well with the missile shape since it is so small. That is not an issue with stealth aircraft and normal aircraft because of the relatively large size the waves have to bounce off. This means that all of the planes of oscillation will have a good chance of getting a return ticket to the reciever. The reciever will most likely only see one plane of the signal and categorize it as noise.

Also the study assumed that the missile is a superconductor...

Edit: This bug is already reported so I think arguing here does not fit the point of the thread. 😀

Edited by Rissala
edit

There is a reference to practical measurements of the missile in the X-band in the same paper.  I understood what you were saying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...

I'll hazard a guess and say that if the radar does detect something going stupid speeds or above it will just choose to not display it to a pilot cos why would there be any tactical reason to see a missile that fast and that small on the radar ?

As a sidenote, the "theoretically possible" argument is rather annoying, yes, but that doesn't mean "practical", though its certainly sometimes a good argument to use