General ATGM questions and discussion

S. Low
Go to solution Solved by hornblower793,

17 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Also, if you switch to guns/rockets it closes the doors and I think locks the gyros in place.

I have used cannon and rockets with Petrovich guiding the missile simultaneously.

So doors doesn't get closed if other selects those.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

8 minutes ago, Lymark said:

Has anyone figured out how to unstow gunner's forward gun sight?

Work in progress - will come in a future update.

3 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

I have used cannon and rockets with Petrovich guiding the missile simultaneously.

So doors doesn't get closed if other selects those.

Sorry, selecting rockets doesn't close the doors, but selecting the 30 absolutely does.

• Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

32 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

3-4 minutes re-alignment, not 15 sec.

I have the Observe input bound to my joystick, so I can close the doors, from the rear cockpit, before banking hard. Also, if you switch to guns/rockets it closes the doors and I think locks the gyros in place. I either close the doors with Observe keybind or switch to a different weapon before maneuvers and it seems to keep the gyros happy.

The Quickstart Manual states:

So, gyros are aligned when you turn on GUID.UNIT POWER switch, OBSERV switch only open the sight doors? On manual it states that OBSERV switch turn on the gyros.

If i f****d the gyros can i aligned again turning off and on again GUID.UNIT POWER?

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

As I understand it:

-gyros align with power on

-closing the door (Observe) locks the gyros so they don't get knocked out of alignment

-if you manage to get them out of alignment, power cycling the sight off/on will go through the alignment process (3-4 minutes) and get you going once more. 

48 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Sorry, selecting rockets doesn't close the doors, but selecting the 30 absolutely does.

You can select 30 mm / rockets and shoot it while Petrovich is searching targets, aiming at them, and guiding a missile at them. 

Just tested it. Killed a target sooner than Petrovich because cannon does hit faster.

It could be that if the target is already sighted, and the targeting beam and ATGM seeker are aligned, as it would be if you are aiming at the target through the sight, then switching to cannon will close the doors of the sight, but you retain launch authority for the ATGM because everything is already aligned.

But Petrovich should not be able to track the ATGM to the target after launch in this case. Does he hit the target every time when you do this? If so it probably needs looking at.

I guess this method is a kind of boresight ATGM firing, but I have no idea if it is supposed to be used in this manner in real world application. It's possible.

Edited by wowbagger
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

But Petrovich should not be able to track the ATGM to the target after launch in this case. Does he hit the target every time when you do this? If so it probably needs looking at.

I have the faint recollection that cannon selection should close the doors, but I'm this case it doesn't. Petrovich guides missile as well it can, what now can miss at long distance if gun recoil push down at wrong moment.

The sight stabilization is not such that would deserve  +/- 60 degree freedom to fly or any praises for it. It is so bad that I have never seen so bad stabilization on any Russian vehicle. Sadly it is not from T-72 as that has best until Leopard 2 was developed. 

1 minute ago, wowbagger said:

If you go to an outside (F2) view, you can see the doors close as soon as you select the cannon (bind it to a key).

I'll have to play with boresighting this weekend to see what's going on.

I don't use boresight simplification. I command Petrovich to search area and let it to engage automatically.

I can have gun or rockets selected, and because Petrovich decides when to fire, my fire button is free to shoot gun or rockets while Petrovich guides missile on target.

I have not looked is the sight open or closed, but if it gets closed, then Petrovich is guiding missile without seeing anything, even hitting moving targets.

So there is a bug. What should happen in such scenario is that Petrovich should course at you and damn you from wasting a missile by selecting a cannon whole he was observing.

I know there was one attack when I switched to cannon too soon, before the missile had impacted, and the ATGM did not track to the target. I immediately realized my mistake after I did it.

Yep, this needs a better investigation. Post a track of how you do it, if you have a chance.

Cheers

17 hours ago, Fri13 said:

... I can have gun or rockets selected, and ...Petrovich guides missile on target...

Reproduced. I have asked if this is a bug or intended behaviour.

Cheers

4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Reproduced. I have asked if this is a bug or intended behaviour.

Cheers

Good. As I tried to make the track for it in my first reply, but in all my tracks my helicopter crash 15-20 seconds after take-off. They don't take altitude but just keep going oddly to ground. Even if I take-off to totally different directions or methods, all just keep flying that time and then crash. 

So 100% impossible get any track files generated at this moment. 

• Like 1