Afterburner detent swich F16

I noticed that on the F16 there is no possibility of having the afterburner detent in swich mode (like on the JF-17 and the F14) but only in cycle mode. Is there any possibility that the afterburner on / off through a swich can be implemented in the future?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:59 AM, Falcon34200 said:

I noticed that on the F16 there is no possibility of having the afterburner detent in swich mode (like on the JF-17 and the F14) but only in cycle mode. Is there any possibility that the afterburner on / off through a swich can be implemented in the future?

U can do it thru a axis to button 

• ED Team
On 6/17/2021 at 4:59 PM, Falcon34200 said:

Could you explain what "switch mode" means?

On 10/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, Geraki said:

any instructions please?

It depends on what hotas you’re using or rather you’re willing to use 3rd party mapping programs. Some hotas software supports it with their own but if not, u may have to use 3rd party software like joystick gremlin. 
I only know how to do it in the software from virpil and the vkb software because those are the stick and throttle companies for

my stuff. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, cofcorpse said:

Could you explain what "switch mode" means?

I think he means a momentary allow function for afterburner. This would be like the "throttle Finger Lift" in the f18. It would be a button for afterburner that must be held down to enter afterburner. The advantage is there is no confusion about what position it is in. The cycle afterburner detent may be preferred for some users but not all. With cycle afterburner, the user has to guess whether they have it enabled or disabled, or test it by shoving the throttle past the stop to see if it stops or enters afterburner. the best I can offer is just try out the throttle finger lift setting in the hornet while having the special option for afterburner detent set to "always on"

On 6/17/2021 at 6:59 AM, Falcon34200 said:

By default, there is no key assigned to activate the Afterburner.  But if you go into Options, Controls, F-16C Sim and scroll down to "Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF" and assign a key (I assigned the "Insert" key); then save the profile.  You can start the game and once the engines are up and running just press the Insert key (or whatever key you have assigned), and push the throttle all the way up.  You will now have access to the afterburner.

• Like 1

Image36.jpg

• 1 month later...

Also really wishing for this feature. The idea would be to have this as a momentary push (like the FA-18C's throttle finger lift yes) instead of the cycle/toggle mode.

As it may help others, I'm putting some workaround here, if you're one lucky Virpil VPC Throttle owner (or other high end firmware for other vendors) in the firmware setting you can assign a button working as a "switch", or two buttons working as "Toggle ON + Toggle OFF", this way it will generate a pulse when both pressing and depressing the button... perfectly wrapping the F16's detent in toggle mode with press/depress events.

Edited by nittch

• 5 weeks later...

+1

F-18 has such a binding (throttle finger-lift). It would be great to have it for F-16 as well.

Not a toggle, but a momentary. To have the lock always enabled, but when a button is held you can move the throttle past the AB detent.

There is a binding for: "Throttle cut-off release" which kinda sounds like it could be it, but it doesn't work. If that's not for this purpose I have no idea what this binding does.

Edited by Havner
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Havner said:

+1

F-18 has such a binding (throttle finger-lift). It would be great to have it for F-16 as well.

Not a toggle, but a momentary. To have the lock always enabled, but when a button is held you can move the throttle past the AB detent.

There is a binding for: "Throttle cut-off release" which kinda sounds like it could be it, but it doesn't work. If that's not for this purpose I have no idea what this binding does.

well, since it says cut-off my guess is that allows you to pull the engine back from idle to cut-off to shut off the engine.

• 7 months later...

Bump.  Please consider adding this.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, Havner said:

+1

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't tested this. But it might work.
If you bind button x pressed AND button x released to the afterburner toggle function it should, if my theory holds, get toggled on when you press the switch and then off again when you release.

Worth a shot.

Edit: I've tried this now and it does sort of work. But you have to hold the button until you are at the spot where you want it(i.e. full AB) and then not move the throttle because after you let go of the button any throttle movement will send you back to full mil.

Edited by Tenkom