Bad VR performance Rift S

RvL

1 hour ago, fab.13 said:

Some people did benchmark ( a lot of work ) that you can see in the thread about cpu

It is about pure performances subject that you should consider as well as same level than BN point of view

image.png

When i enter the information about these tests on a website to test bottleneck percentages, it kinda shows the same information this chart u refer to.

When i enter my own hardware and test it, its saying my cpu and gpu are a great match and there is only a 0.45% bottleneck gaming at 1080p.

At 1440p theres a 0.47% bottleneck and at 2k/4k its at 1.91%.

When i would upgrade to a faster cpu the test is saying my gpu is becoming the bottleneck.

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

I think that DCS benchmark done in this thread is far away better than everything else you can find on the web and not dedicated to DCS

This benchmark is DCS specific, with true metrics,
a fully useful job right about your case ( CPU Ryzen comparison )

You could ask to the men who made this useful benchmark what are their mind about your problem...

Im not sure if upgrading is the way right now.

Thats because other members with better systems then me are having the same or similer issues.

I still have a feeling its Oculus related.

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

On 7/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, streakeagle said:

I have the Rift S, the Quest 2, and currently fly DCS with the Quest 2. Recent patches have killed my DCS performance in VR. I used to be able to fly the G2 locked at 45 fps by forcing motion reprojection on. Without forcing it, the frame rate was inconsistent between 45 and 90 which looked and played bad. But the latest 2.7 releases crippled my performance. I can still get 45 fps if I fly basic instant action missions with no clouds. But to fly the same Korea and Vietnam multiplayer servers I have been flying for many months, I had to lower my DCS graphic settings and lower my G2 from 90 Hz to 60 Hz to attempt to lock my frame rate at 30 fps. Unfortunately, I can't always maintain 30 fps and the game starts stuttering despite displaying 30 fps or shows drops to the 20s and even teens at times.

I have been following the forums and it seems the DCS components of my problem are a combination of the clouds (which weren't a problem until after the patch that "fixed" the cloud jitter in VR) and new canopy reflections. But it also seems there may have been a recent Windows 10 patch that has caused some PCs to have performance issues leading Microsoft to offer a rollback app to try to help those affected.

I am currently running a Ryzen 5800x with 128 GB of PC3200 RAM, so it is possible something in the AMD drivers isn't playing well with DCS and/or the G2. I need to do some testing with the Quest 2 and Rift S to see if I have the same problems.

When I am in game at 30 fps (or less when it gets bad), none of my cpu cores are at 100% capacity and my gpu shows about 50 to 60% capacity with the 8 GB of VRAM pegged to the limit. when I go back to 90 Hz with a locked 45 fps, my GPU starts running between 80-90%. I haven't really been able to get my VRAM to anything less than 8GB and I won't go below medium textures (low makes many cockpits too blurry, even in VR). As soon as new GPUs start showing up at MSRP or used ones at a discounted price, I intend to get either a 3090 RTX or a 6900 XT. The VRAM on the 3090 is very attractive: fast and large. The 6900 XT has better raster performance at the cost of slower and less VRAM. If 6800 XT's show up at a good price, I might settle for one of those due to cost effectiveness over the 6900 XT while still having the same VRAM size and speed.

Thanks for your message streakeagle.

Getting a 3090 would sure be a very nice upgrade.

The things you said about cpu/gpu usage are the same things i have noticed while monitoring my system while playing in VR.

Your cpu has 30 a 40% better scoring then my Ryzen 5 2600.

What gpu do you have right now?

My new PC is running a Ryzen 5800x. I am currently using a tower air cooler that lets me average 4.6 GHz turbo boost. I am going to get a radiator to see if I can get my performance up to 5 GHz. I am stuck with a baseline 1080, though it is an MSI "Duke", whatever that means. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a gpu, much less 2 or 3k. Either prices are going to come back to reality, or I am going to go back to building model airplanes.

My old i5-4690K that I built in 2014 petty much runs DCS just as well as my new pc... which is sad.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, streakeagle said:

My new PC is running a Ryzen 5800x. I am currently using a tower air cooler that lets me average 4.6 GHz turbo boost. I am going to get a radiator to see if I can get my performance up to 5 GHz. I am stuck with a baseline 1080, though it is an MSI "Duke", whatever that means. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a gpu, much less 2 or 3k. Either prices are going to come back to reality, or I am going to go back to building model airplanes.

My old i5-4690K that I built in 2014 petty much runs DCS just as well as my new pc... which is sad.

Yes prices have become ridiculous.

I was "lucky" finding a new rtx3070 for "just" 750 euros.

I can understand the standard gtx1080 is starting to fall behind on performing with dcs improving visually. Not sure what the "Duke" means. Guess its an overclocked version of it?

Wonder when prices will come back to normal again.

Im hoping if ED can deliver on time, by the end of this year the possible Vulkan switch can add some performance gain to the game.

Fingers crossed.

Decided to go upgrade my cpu.

Going to order the Ryzen 5 5600X.

I will let you guys know what the outcome is.

CPU upgrade is way more resonable then GPU upgrade.

First CPU afterwards GPU, especially with Multiplayer!

Our Benchmarks are not really worth too much, since then a lot changed with performance.

Just the general message that CPU before GPU upgrade stays...

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

Thanks for the message JayRoc.

Just recieved the 5600x.

Going to install it tomorrow. Hopefully going to see the VR improvement im hoping for. Fingers crossed.

After some testing in crowded PVE servers i have to say my hopes seem to have become reality. Finally!

After installing the 5600x i also installed the resizable bar software right away and enabled it and went for a spin.

Im getting a solid 40fps with the same settings i used when i had the ryzen 5 2600.

No more screentear and ghosting and stutters with kickbacks to the low 20's fps.

Also somehow my visuals look much crisper, and the lighting looks better?!

Im real glad i seem to got rid of my problems.

It really took away my fun playing, being more busy trying to tweak things and being on the forum instead of playing and enjoying DCS.

I want to thank all of you for helping me out getting me to the point of buying a new cpu!

It only costed me 250 euros. Its nothing compared to the hours trying to out-tweak the issues i had.

Time to have fun again!

Happy flying everybody!

Im happy my VR performance went up.

Though, when monitoring my gpu activity it still doesnt go much higher then 50, 60%.

Is that normal behavior?

Hello,

If your FPS are 40 Hz in Rift S,
then it is a normal behavior, dont worry 😉

Remember that Occulus Runtime try to render 80 hz first ,
and then 40 hz if not able to maintain 80 hz ( even 20hz and so on.. )

So your GPU power is under used when rendering at 40 hz
I have same behavior on my rig ( rift cv1 )

If you can fly alone on a free flight mission with 80hz in Rift S over a town,
Then You should see very much more GPU usage

Try...

Edited by fab.13

Yes thats what i noticed.

good to know thats fine.

Thanks for the clarification Fab!