Those having trouble flying..

sublime

I'd highly recommend using the trims too. Not the TRIMMER but the trimming like in an airplane.

Using the trim settings (I just bound mine on the arrow keys) REALLY helps steady her out flying.

I can emphasize it enough.  I was getting around before but with a noticeable roll to the right etc.  Smooth as silk with the 'airplane' type trim.

Now if I could only get it so smooth at very low speed 😉

• Like 2

The trimmer seems to work for rudder but not otherwise for me.  However I bound the 4 trims to my arrows and those do definitely work - you can see the diamond move on the control feed back

1 minute ago, malcheus said:

Thanks for the advice. I don't have trouble flying, but I do have trouble getting it trimmed to fly straight without constant input using the same method as the hip. 

It is a bear to get going. I also have trouble with her rearing up on me suddenly.  It's all practice I think. ( Well mostly for me )

I had some initial weird behaviour with the "special options" in the main menu; it would trim the anti-torque, even though I disabled that option, and it showed the control helpers despite disabling them. I think checking and unchecking all those options a few times fixed it for me. 

oh, yes, and I pulled a very sharp turn just now, and that spun the whole thing out of control 😅

Edited by malcheus

You have any idea of how the vertical gyros work?  They seem to go out on me some.  Also the left right switch on the vert gyro board - purpose?  Is that like a second backup gyro to flip to?

Man I hope St Chuck comes thru soon 

4 minutes ago, sublime said:

The trimmer seems to work for rudder but not otherwise for me.  However I bound the 4 trims to my arrows and those do definitely work - you can see the diamond move on the control feed back

It is a bear to get going. I also have trouble with her rearing up on me suddenly.  It's all practice I think. ( Well mostly for me )

I used to think the KA-50 was hard to fly, but now it feels like the sharpest scalpel in DCS after flying the hind.

Not complaining, it'll just be extra rewarding once I'm not staggering around the skies like a drunk.

• Like 6

run come save me

1 hour ago, Scofflaw said:

I used to think the KA-50 was hard to fly, but now it feels like the sharpest scalpel in DCS after flying the hind.

Completely agree with that! But also agree that learning to fly this beast is already hugely rewarding.

I was struggling a lot yesterday, then today made the small adjustment of setting the curves to 20 or so - HUGE difference for me. Much less twitchy below translational lift speeds. I imagine further tweaking of the axes should help even more.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Welp, I'm struggling with this chopper so far.
I'm pretty comfortable with the hip and can perform sling-loading et precise landing/takeoffs without putting too much effort into it...

I thought the hind, being based on a similar airframe/engine setup would be pretty close... Boy was I wrong, that's a completely different beast ! Takeoffs are a bit wonky, and I feel like the autopilot wants to fights me from time to time.
Also, pulling a hard turn will spin you out of control way sooner than the hip does.

Overall, I feel like it's the most challenging and unforgiving helicopter to fly at the moment.

If you cant get trim working with the hat, make sure your autopilot channels are on.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

vor 2 Stunden schrieb sublime:

.. you can see the diamond move on the control feed back ...

as a remark - THAT sums up "a" or "the" problem - while the dampeners/trimmers are perfectly modeled fidelitywise - there is no feedback on the game input/IO translation layer.
The in-module cyclic is not rendered at an offset (as would be the case in the 24P iirc), there is no feedback on the diamond in the control feedback (and I personally want to get rid of the RCtrl+Enter ASAP again not only for uncluttering).
And as I/we/most of us do not know what is planned, we should maybe point that out.

Also the labeling on the option to include the torque-pedal axis, the control line items for manual cyclic-trim and last but FOREMOST the 3 different TRIMMER translation IO keylogs needs to be reformulated more decisively and beyond any amgibuity.
(all of the above also applying to the AI helper topic, massively - but different topic, thus would be off-topic)

Which has zero to do with the Shaitan-Arba being perfect as a DCS module, its character and quirks translating nicely and the module not only already being what was expected (by me) but exceeding what (I) was hoping for.

Challenging, unforgiving, rich in character, unique, keeping us involved in every little bit of the loop and the flightplan. And not at all like the Mi-8 (just the narrow frame, the winglet pylons and the narrow gear stance make sure of that 🤪).

All imho ofc.

P.S. Best purchase ever! Please E-D take note, stay cohesive with the early 29, allow an early F-4 to happen (as was finally done with a mid-gen Lighting 🎇) as a dancing partner for my supersonic traktor of the motherland. There IS a relevant market for the era.

Edited by rogorogo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, le troll des bos said:

Welp, I'm struggling with this chopper so far.
I'm pretty comfortable with the hip and can perform sling-loading et precise landing/takeoffs without putting too much effort into it...

I thought the hind, being based on a similar airframe/engine setup would be pretty close... Boy was I wrong, that's a completely different beast ! Takeoffs are a bit wonky, and I feel like the autopilot wants to fights me from time to time.
Also, pulling a hard turn will spin you out of control way sooner than the hip does.

Overall, I feel like it's the most challenging and unforgiving helicopter to fly at the moment.

Exactly my thoughts.

I love flying the Hip and the Hind being based on the Hip, I expected a somewhat familiar feeling to it with noticeable differences where to expect (e.g. due to weight differences or a different rotor diameter etc).

But it feels nothing like the Hip. In fact - till now - I don‘t like the FM very much.

It feels always as it is struggling to lift (while being fast when looking on the airspeed indicator) and the tail rotor effectiveness is lousy.

I find it a little weird that the Hip feels more powerful and more real at once.

The looks and level of detail are great and it may very well be realistic… who am I to judge…

but my first feelings are mixed (with portion of disappointment tbh)…

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Well I won't lie.  There's a couple FM aspects I really wonder if are realistic. (Not that I'd know how a hind really flies haha)

But seeing as how a lot of things are openly not finalized I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

I'm still very happy with the module and how things turned out.  I really enjoy flying her

Edited by sublime

I think there might be a problem with some people like myself where the helo is over whelming the processors with calculations(I suspect the autopilot stuff and all the clicky things a dual cockpit comes with)...making inputs lag. If you get below 24 fps ,it gets unmanageable. The black shark used todo this as well before it got tweaked. if you have a newer system your probably not going to see these problems. IMO this is a result of ED constantly uping the bar(or moving the bar) in terms of required processing power in either cpu or gpu. IMO they need to get that new graphic engine out ASAP.

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

6 hours ago, Scofflaw said:

Not complaining, it'll just be extra rewarding once I'm not staggering around the skies like a drunk.

I found the Ka-50 the "easiest" to fly, in that it somehow made sense to me. I can handle it pretty well. 

Taking off in the Hind, however, is like pissing into a tornado; it's all over the place and not particularly good. I can fly it nicely, but taking off is a beeeg challenge for me. Looking forward to learning it, but the Hind is really making me love my Blackshark. And my Blackshark is making me love the Hind.

Russian helos FTW! :drinks_drunk:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb rogorogo:

as a remark - THAT sums up "a" or "the" problem - while the dampeners/trimmers are perfectly modeled fidelitywise - there is no feedback on the game input/IO translation layer.
The in-module cyclic is not rendered at an offset (as would be the case in the 24P iirc), there is no feedback on the diamond in the control feedback (and I personally want to get rid of the RCtrl+Enter ASAP again not only for uncluttering).

and naturally - after an evening of futility.... this evening the dampeners started suddenly working, the dampeners gave diamond feedback, the in-module cyclic had the correct offset in render when the dampener trimmed it (motor servos to hold it in place).

I need tea.. and maybe a hug.

P.S. Now I can happily crash due to my very own vast incomptence 🙂

Edited by rogorogo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raven434th said:

I think there might be a problem with some people like myself where the helo is over whelming the processors with calculations(I suspect the autopilot stuff and all the clicky things a dual cockpit comes with)...making inputs lag. If you get below 24 fps ,it gets unmanageable. The black shark used todo this as well before it got tweaked. if you have a newer system your probably not going to see these problems. IMO this is a result of ED constantly uping the bar(or moving the bar) in terms of required processing power in either cpu or gpu. IMO they need to get that new graphic engine out ASAP.

the first time I fired up the Hind on the Caucasus free flight it was unplayable. Literally probably less than 10 frames a second. But once I restarted the computer and played some of the other instant actions and the training it went okay. The last mission I tried to fly last night (after two or three before it, and it was really bad again. But I think you’re right. It’ll be tweaked and get better. 

• Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I found the Ka-50 the "easiest" to fly, in that it somehow made sense to me. I can handle it pretty well. 

Taking off in the Hind, however, is like pissing into a tornado; it's all over the place and not particularly good. I can fly it nicely, but taking off is a beeeg challenge for me. Looking forward to learning it, but the Hind is really making me love my Blackshark. And my Blackshark is making me love the Hind.

Russian helos FTW! :drinks_drunk:

I think it’s harder than the Ka-50 because of the Kamov’s stabilised flight controls, and the fact it’s a coaxial, so there’s less going on in terms of torque, tail rotor drift etc. 

it’s harder than the Hip, or even the Huey, because of the restricted vision from the pilot seat. A stable hover is massively reliant on peripheral vision, and the Hip and the Huey are glass houses by comparison to the Hind, which has almost no downward visibility in the hover. 

it’s fun though. Approaches to a pad are interesting, and my best solution is a curving, crabbing approach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grievo said:

I think it’s harder than the Ka-50 because of the Kamov’s stabilised flight controls

That's interesting.  I kinda experienced it as the opposite from a perspective of freedom of motion and agility.  The blackshark flight assists makes it more stable without inputs, but harder to control since you can find yourself fighting against the flight assist until you learn when to shut off certain functions during maneuvers.  By comparison, the trim options in the Hind are way more intuitive and make it much smoother and more agile, except in a P/W ratio sense, here the blackshark wins.   The Hind almost handles like a WW2 fighter bomber, except in a hover, where it handles more like a cross between a bit of twitchiness of a gazelle and a bit of the translational drift of the huey.  

Edited by Syndrome

1 minute ago, Syndrome said:

That's interesting.  I kinda experienced it as the opposite from a perspective of freedom of motion and agility.  The blackshark flight assists makes it more stable without inputs, but harder to control since you can find yourself fighting against the flight assist until you learn when to shut off certain functions during maneuvers.  By comparison, the trim options in the Hind are way more intuitive and make it much smoother and more agile, except in a P/W ratio sense, here the blackshark wins.   It almost handles like a WW2 fighter bomber, except in a hover, where it handles more like a cross between the a small touch of twitchiness of a gazelle and a bit of the translational drift of the huey.  

I was referring to once it’s trimmed correctly. 

personally the first thing I do in the Ka-50 is turn the Flight Director on (off? The light comes on!) because I’m more comfortable flying it like a normal helicopter. 

I wonder if there’s anything in it being tricky BECAUSE it’s so similar to the Mi-8, in that it behaves very nearly the same, so your muscle memory instincts lead you astray when it doesn’t. Pure speculation obviously. 

Anyone else has a problem with the sync of controls?

When I do a hot start mission, even when my physical collective is all the way down, in the game it immediately snaps into full collective and throws the aircraft over… 

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I cope with this by twitching the collective up and down briefly as I go into the cockpit

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I think they need to build in some tolerance's to compensate for peoples hardware...ie type,age,ware,deadzones etc. It just too twitchy.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.