Gun Pipper extremely inaccurate in some cases, may be related to long flights.

MARLAN_

- Myself and a buddy did a double mission, he swapped slots inbetween, I was in one jet for 2.5 hrs, he was in his 2nd jet for 1 hour during the part where we had this issue.

- Loaded 1 AGM-154C and 1 AGM-88C for myself, he took 4 GBU-38, we both were double-ugly with 1 monster rack of AMRAAMs. (Not sure if loadout is applicable)
- JSOW missed target when IN RNG, however this may have been due to user error, I was a bit panicked defending the SA-11.

- BOTH of our Gun Pippers were extremely inaccurate, gun pipper showing a position about 20+ degrees lower than where the rounds impacted.

- I am unable to reproduce it in a short track, may possibly have something to do with longer flights. I've never experienced this issue before, did gun strafes just fine only a couple days ago on with all the same settings,server,etc.

Track file linked may be of no use as it was a very long mission, if you are able to view it, the gun pipper issue happened when we were far up north in Iran.

DTRWfHT.png

These guys from what I searched look to have the same problem.

TRACK FILE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9T95I5Lt9bD9Iqk7QFhgugWXX5PR5vd/view?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

I have seen this in instant action dogfights...  and also A2G 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Had it happen again, to both pilots.

Another long track, sorry, when I have time I'll see if I can reproduce it in a short one, but previously I was unable to, it probably has a very specific trigger that I wasn't causing to happen in my previous short tests.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GrRwOtuzndxKm1a3YRtq6f6iso9r3l1t/view?usp=sharing

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Il 18/6/2021 at 09:26, speed-of-heat ha scritto:

I have seen this in instant action dogfights...  and also A2G 

Can confirm. Me and my squadron mates have been having the same issue on freshly spawned planes during WVR guns only practice runs.

14 hours ago, BamJr said:

Can confirm. Me and my squadron mates have been having the same issue on freshly spawned planes during WVR guns only practice runs.

Could you get a track file for that?

1A100.png?format=1500w  

I don't have enough experience to know what's a bug and what isn't...but this was so noticeable, I saved the track...

HornetGunReticalRediculousness.trk

Unique aviation images for the passionate aviation enthusiast:

Fb: FighterJetGeek Aviation Images - Home | Facebook

IG: https://www.instagram.com/the_fighterjetgeek/

Aviation Photography Digest: AviationPhotoDigest.com/author/SMEEK9

ED is chasing this bug since 2018 now, and the community keeps reporting it again and again since then.

In the Bug section, look up "pipper" or "gunsight" in Search, and you will see. First reported in June 2018. Reply then (and since) was usually "missing track file" and/or "can not reproduce"...

Just sayin'...

• Like 2

Confirming had this several times the last few days. A2G Gun Pipper ~ 20deg too low. AGR mode or not made no difference.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Just had a short flight in an MP server and the A2G Gun Pipper was OK. Wonder if it was actually fixed in yesterdays patch or just a fluke it worked as intended this time.

Can you guys test again and post your results?

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• ED Team

I have been watching for this but am unable to reproduce so far. 

Please ensure you have no unofficial mods or edits, run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY

Take a look at this track, managed to reliably reproduce it in a short track.

I'll do some more testing and see if I can "un"-reproduce it to narrow down the issue.

You can see me testing the gun and it works fine, I fired HARM, tested again, still works, (tested AMRAAM in different track, still works) then released JDAM's and gun no longer works.

Appears to have something to do with JDAM releases.

GUNNOWORKY.trk

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

• ED Team

I will take a look in the morning, my first day back after a week off tomorrow 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will take a look in the morning, my first day back after a week off tomorrow 🙂

Awesome, thanks!

Did a bit more testing, it also seems to have something to do with how far north you are, when I tested in grid CT the gun pipper failed after JDAM release, when I tested in grid CQ the gun pipper worked fine even after JDAM release. Somewhere in grid CS is where the issue starts I think.

Additionally, the gun pipper will work again if you continue far enough south even after releasing and the gun pipper failing up north.

(This would explain why I thought it was an issue with long flights, but I am able to consistently reproduce it now in short tracks)

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

• ED Team

I was able to reproduce, I have no idea why it is happening but I have reported to the team for checking

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night I dropped 4 500lb JDAMs and proceeded to perform gun runs. Every time I used the CCIP gun pipper, it was pointing way too low (several degrees below the VV at all times, even at point blank range). The tracers were visibly moving a good 5-7 degrees further up from the pipper. Manual mode was elevated significantly higher, allowing for some accuracy (but obviously not as good as CCIP would have been).

Attached is a track showing this happening - sorry, it is not short:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dIGklOm31TnXo4DvQBaYeM9sXtyVohI_/view?usp=sharing

I tried replicating this with an air started jet for a short track, but there were no JDAMs on the jet, and the behaviour did not occur, so don't have a shorter track to show.

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat

• 8 months later...

I don't want to jump the gun yet, but so far so good.

I created a brand new mission from scratch. Up until now, all my other missions were created in previous versions of OB, some of them way back...

I loaded JDAMs and GBU24s, dropped them then switched to gun. The rounds hit spot on!  The target was designated using ATFLIR and I left my TDC priority on it. As I got closer I noticed the difference immediately. The way the gun reticle (CCIP) was creeping toward the target. Fired in range... BAM!

Was it it because of the new mission created in the latest OB or was it something else... who knows, it works!

Edited by Gripes323
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

I was strafing a convoy of light vehicles right after the patch it was dead on. Only been using the PGUs, but it felt like there was a difference in the reticle precision.

When the bug was reported a few months ago, the first thing I checked and tested was the type of ammo used and correct ballistic profile selected on DDI. I've always used HEI-T with Mk50 selected. Switching the reticle to PGU will not make that much difference at max effective range. The impact point will change around a degree (roughly). At least in my test.

The bug was causing the impact point to shift around 7 ~ 10 deg. upwards, but only after selecting or using certain guided bombs before.  The gun reticle v. type of ammo was never changed.

• Like 1