MIDS page

WobblyFlops

In the newest version of the official ED manual, the MIDS DDI format was added with a text saying that "This format will be documented in a later edition of this manual." This seems to be a new addition, earlier versions of the manual didn't mention this page at all. Does this mean that ED are planning on implementing in depth MIDS configuration options and this DDI page or is the addition to the manual only refer to the fact that the functions on the page (which as far as I know currently have no functional effects and are only for roleplaying purposes) will be detailed later on?

• 10 months later...
  • ED Team

Hi, 

I have asked the team, it is TBD about MIDS based on available, public information, time, and resources.

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 5/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

I have asked the team, it is TBD about MIDS based on available, public information, time, and resources.

thanks

Could we get any elaboration on that? Clearly the team had the data to model the page, all of the buttons and entries work, they just don't do anything. The same is more less true for TGT data which should simply be relaying MIDS info. 

2 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Could we get any elaboration on that? Clearly the team had the data to model the page, all of the buttons and entries work, they just don't do anything

It's a possibility that they know what options are there and how the page looks like and its layout but they don't have data that actually explains the functions.

• 5 weeks later...

TBH I would take functionality over realism at some point; even if usable public information isn't good enough for a full-blown realistic implementation, Link-16 is too cool a toy to sacrifice. The F-16 seems to have a fairly usable implementation, and making the F-18 interoperable with that in a documented and accessible fashion would be great.

Right now, most official datalink documentation seems to be behind a "not for export" wall which is unlikely to change before Link-22 or some other usurper gains widespread adoption, so waiting for that to change may take another 10-20 years.

• Like 1